Multichannel Recording with XONE96

A second daw?

Can you explain a bit more about your setup. More information will make it easier to help.

ok, so multitrack recording for the performance is not possible then…

Can I somehow say that one channel does not go to to main recording?

yes, I have one DAW as inputs channel on the XONE96 via USB and I use one DAW for recording of the Set via USB.

But I just found out it doesn’t work like that :confused:

Keep the fader down…

If it sounds on the main channel, it s sent to the main channel USB output (though not if it s the master fx insert, but that s another story…).

Why not use the same DAW to also record?

2 Likes

Btw, this is the appropriate thread for this discussion:

2 Likes

Cause I wanna have it separately from the performing DAW… security wise.

Not sure why? Running a second daw sounds a lot more risky and CPU heavier than simply adding a few more audio tracks within the same project to record into. I mean, that’s basically why it’s so great to be able to do that.

What type of safety net would a second daw provide here exactly?

If you want to be really secure, add a second laptop and use the second sound card to record

Yeah but also if I have to pause, and play again because of synch issues of my machines, the recording stops. always better to have recording and performing separately. Why less CPU? I guess more tracks, more CPU on each DAW.

‘If you want to be really secure, add a second laptop and use the second sound card to record’ - Thats what I’m doing. sorry for misunderstanding.

Ahh I see. Hm. You should indeed be able to record separate channels on a second laptop afaik. Have you checked if it does work when recording on 1 laptop?

yes I did. But I think it doesn’t work if I go USB in and out again to record. Thats what dTR said above in the thread…

I don’t have the 96 anymore unfortunately, but exactly that I’m able to do with db4. Which does have more flexible routing. So pretty sure it should be able with 96. Gonna have a look at the schematics

That would be awesome… It would really save my ass. :grin:

XX

Darn. Thought I could bring good news. I was a bit confused with the flexibility of db4 where I can simply select at which stage the signal goes back to daw. So the input doesn’t matter and could be USB.

On the zone 96 it’s limited to sending the line and riaa for the individual channels I’m afraid.

1 Like

Thank you so much anyways.

I will just record the master then, and hope that everything sounds good at the end.

Ihm also playing with live drums, so level ways I wanted to be a bit flexible after the show. Cause Live it’s always a different situation with the PA and stuff.

Have a good one and thank a lot again!

1 Like

Enjoy the gig !
Sounds like an interesting setup. If you can, share the recording on the forum. Always cool to see what other forum members are up to :slight_smile:

@Julienbracht Oh, one more thing, definitely not a perfect workaround but you could use 1 or 2 of the headphone cues outputs to record to an external recorder. That will give you one or two extra separate channels.

@DaveMech

Me every year:

5jb9be

1 Like

Haha. Yeah that would’ve been neat

Told you so :wink:

Neat that the db4 can do that. Nice application of its digital architecture.

1 Like