Multiband compressor plugin

Can anyone recommend a good free multiband compressor with sidechain input? (Vst or rack extension)

I know I can either build one or automate an eq instead, but its a bit fiddly for rough mixes.

Do you have ableton? Theres multiband dynamics thing in there. That does multi band compression and expansion. Only three bands though from memory.

2 Likes

Nope, just using Reason at the moment. Will eventually be doing the final mixing in either Sonar or Cubase which i believe do have them but not keen on rewire or bouncing out tracks until then.

Did you browse the combinator presets? There could well be a mulit band compressor already made wait for you.

There was one last time I used reason, but that was reason 4… some time ago.

Xfer has OTT which is pretty much an ableton multiband compression clone (well, a clone of the OTT preset). Really don’t know how in depth you can get with it or if it’s got sidechaining as I just used either Ableton MB or Fabfilter MB.

1 Like

Couldn’t find any but i ended up building a simple 2 band combinator patch - hopefully will get the job done for the moment

Update: Works quite well, built-in Reason eqs weren’t so good for bandsplitting because the slope is too shallow but a good third party eq with appropriate filters (I used Brainworx bx_digital) does the trick. Can allocate a single combinator knob to control the crossover freq - would’ve been nice to see the value displayed without opening the plugin window but can’t complain too loudly since the price is right. And I can add as many bands as needed!

Had a quick stickybeak and couldn’t find any mention of sidechaining which is unfortunate because ive heard good things otherwise