Multi-track or not?

Just wondering how many people record straight out of the master outputs vs multi-track recording? I have an Analog Four & Machinedrum, which is connected to the A4 inputs and I’m currently using Overbridge to record into my computer.

I know there are advantages to multi-track recording, but I have limited time during sessions and I want to minimise any interruptions (i.e. having to re-do arrangement and add FX afterwards…).

I suppose my question is it is still possible to get professional(ish) recordings straight from a stereo mix, and how much flexibility there is to using EQ/compression etc. with only 2 channels?

Thanks

straight from the Main-Out here. Multitracking isnt working so good on my Computer as i have to use ASIO4All - i dont have an Audiointerface :wink: Using the Plugin and multi-track everything always leads to latency problems - on the other hand. So for me, its not about flexibility, but simply about stability. And the Elektron Machines work most stable for me when im NOT mulit-tracking. Thats why i record the Main Out only and i dont have issues, you can easily get your mix right on the machine itself.

Multitrack myself. That’s because I don’t really make straightforward songs per se, I just record single takes with this and that going, but then I cannibalise that over time - going back and picking a section here and a section there, Taking the sounds I wanted in isolation wouldn’t be possible without multi tracking. If I were making straight up techno or something along those lines I think I would probably just record straight from the main outs most of the time for convenience and workflow.

I have several instruments running into a mixer but then just two channels out of the mixer.

I’ll probably never release another track so no point for me to go through the motions of multitracking

As much as I like the idea of recording the 2-track and calling it a day, my monitoring environment is absolutely atrocious - so it’s not really a good idea (for me). Plus I tend to do a fair bit of cutting and pasting when arranging a track anyway.

The advantage of Master-Stereo-Out recording is, hit the button, and ready you go … if the take was good.

If you want to have pro quality audio, you should at least have a decent mixer and FX, and prepare for “live-mixing” for all needed channels, before you start. This is necessary, because you will not have the opportunity to make big changes to the mix after recording.

My experience is that recording all-in mixes is quite good to capture ideas spontaneously. I just hit the record button, perform, and record quite a length of audio with the basic idea and some variations and play with my ideas. Since I am not a live-mixing-expert and start quite unprepared often, my live-mixes feel un-balanced sometimes (at least after one night sleeping on it). Later I take the time to reconstruct this track, record mult-in, and work on each part seperately during the mixing process.

For me it’s the compromise of beeing creative without the need of a decent preparation and crafting a well belanced mix … :wink: