Multi-Timbral synths in production and which one is most versatile?

I’m toying with the idea of getting a new multi-timbral synth, primarily for use live - (but not exclusively). I have a Nord G2 engine (4 part multi-timbral) which I love, but I’m a bit wary about lugging it around, and then there’s apprehension that it might die on me and I’d be left with a huge hole. Thing is, I don’t think there’s anything like it in hardware. In addition to “standard” synth duties including FM, It’s excellent for percussion, as a processor, fx, mad quirky sequences, and 8 its patch variations are like OT scenes on steroids. Anyways, what mult–timbral synths are currently in production? By versatile I mean depth of sound design possibilities and synthesis types.

Here’s an updated list of multirimbral synths in production

Groovebox Synths
A4 - 4 part - mono only
Syntakt (interesting nobody mentioned it, but if A4 qualifies, so does ST - monoparts only, but “pseudo” polyphony with chord machine)
Synthstrom Deluge (does it do polyphony?)
Roland MC707 (8p)

Synths

Digitone (4 part)
Waldorf M (4 part)
Waldorf Iridium (2p)
Waldorf Blofeld (?)
Tooro (4p)
Fred’s Buzzzy (4p)
Roland SH 4d (4p)
Roland Jupiter X (4p)
Nord A1 (4p)
Nord Wave 2 (4p)
Virus TI (up to 16)
Sequential Rev 2 (2p)
Sequential Prophet X (2p)
Udo Super Gemini (4p)
Novation Summit (2p)
Melbourne Instruments Nina (4p)
Anyma Omega (4p)
Micromonsta 2 (2p)
Moog One (x3 mono in multi-t)
The Korg Prologue 8/16 (4p)
Korg Modwave (2p)
Korg Wavestate (4p)
Korg Wavestate SE (4p)
Korg OP 6 (2 part - keyboard split - limited)
Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave (4p)
Hydrasynth Deluxe (2p)
Yamaha MODX (?)
PreenFM3
Twisted Electrons BlastBeats (4 )
Synclavier Regen (up to 12p)
Kodamo Essence FM (up to 18p)
Mayer EMI MD900 - (4p)
GS e7 (4p))

Workstations (as in they’re marketed as being able to do everything)
Yamaha Montage
Roland Phantom
Korg Nautilus

Stage Piano with a synth engine
Nord Stage 4 (6p)

Have I missed any? Of these the Waldorf M tempts me most having heard some pretty amazing sounds from it, but it’s only one type of synthesis. The Wave 2 is too big and too expensive. I think I’d get frustrated with the limitations for the A1. I’m not that keen on the Virus’ core sound, but have never tried one. The Tooro sounds very good for the price, compact for live, but very limited compared to the M. I’m sure the A4 is pretty great - and would be fun for sequencing my modest eurorack case - but not for poly duties. The Digitone is tempting but it’s a shame there’s only 2 outs and from a look at the specs I understand that the send effects are global and not per part (please correct me if I’m wrong)

6 Likes

I consider the Nord Drum 3 as a multi-timbral synth.

4 Likes

Three quite powerful ones:
Sequential Rev 2 (especially with 16 voices)
Udo Super Gemini (20 voices, hands on control for all parameters of each layer)
Novation Summit (two Peaks inside a big keyboard, known for versatile synth engines and good effects).

I feel like the Gemini is the one to beat right now, if you have the space and money.

If you don’t dismiss smaller units and Roland boutiques, JX-08 and JD-8 might also be worth a look.

Synthstrom Deluge also has a dedicated digital analog, FM and sample engine. It gives you loads of tracks with theoretically infinite voices and sequencing lengths, only restrained by CPU processing power. Based around sequencing and a grid with 64 pads, very small and portable.

3 Likes

I’ve spent quite a bit of time with a borrowed ND3, which I recommended a friend to buy. You can do patch some mono synth lines on it, but not pads, textures and chords.

Are you looking for polyphony or multitimbrality ?

Melbourne Instruments Nina.

3 Likes

Not available yet, but ostensibly by the end of this year: the Anyma Omega, from Aodyo Instruments. 16 voice polyphonic, 4 parts multitimbral, primarily physical modeling but

“The powerful semi-modular synth engine of Anyma Omega covers a wide range of synthesis techniques (physical modelling, but also virtual analog, wavetable, FM, etc.) with its large collection of oscillators, FX and modulators.”

8 Likes

Rev2

5 Likes

Just throwing this out there since you have some Eurorack stuff already - a Disting EX can run 4 instances of Mutable Instruments Plaits or Braids. Can be controlled via MIDI using the 2hp TMB module. You can also combine voices to make polyphony. Not the most hands on thing unless you use external CV/MIDI though.

Other MIDI enabled multitimbral Eurorack modules off the top of my head:

• OXI Coral (I believe up to 8 parts with a combo of mono/poly)
  • RYK Vector Wave (4 mono parts or 1 poly/vector part)

As for non-Eurorack stuff, there’s Blofeld which can run up to 16 parts.

1 Like

Both!

I wouldn’t limit yourself to the TI personally, you can pick up an A, B or C for a good price and they’re all multi timbral!

I’d add the Micromonsta to your list too.

I’m fairly certain it’s not - the two ‘engines’ are the two oscillators. It has a lot of polyphonic power, including poly effects, but not multitimbrality. If it does then I haven’t stumbled across it…

6 Likes

Moog One

1 Like

I think the Fred’s Lab Tooro needs some attention. It’s a 4-voice multi-timbral synthesizer with analog FX. It’s a one-man job, but it sounds really wonderful

1 Like

Following. I tried the digitone a bunch of times but just find it hard managing too many elektron sequencers lol

3 Likes

Maybe one of the Roland Fantom’s? I believe they are multitimbral, and they have quite a few sounds in them, and you can sequence, do drums etc.

1 Like

Some good suggestions including some I didn’t know were multi-timbral: Hadn’t registered that Anyma Omega: it has some serious specs and the price tag isn’t alarming.

How are you enjoying yours? Only subtractive synthesis, no FM, no wavefolding - a bit boring for my taste.

Seing that you miss individual outs on Digitone, maybe DN Keys might be for you. Doesn’t solve the send effects problem necessarily, but could, if you run individual outs into outboard effects. The DN is a powerhouse and can do it all from massive pads to snappy drums, from noisy, brutal and disgusting to soft, vulnerable and warm.

It also allows you to layer patches and gives you precise control over voice allocation.

2 Likes

I’ve only got one Elektron sequencer, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be overwhelmed with 2. Shame about the limitations I mentioned in my first post.

I don’t have a One, I’m waiting for a Two.

1 Like

In addition to the M, the Waldorf Iridium is also bi-timberal, with two layers that can be used together, split, or independently. With 16 voices that’s still plenty across two channels.

1 Like