MS20/Mother-32 cross modulation OK?

So right now my setup is an A4, MS-20 mini and a Mother-32. I’ve got the A4 sequencing the other two synths and its great. However, I’m hungry for some cross modulation but wasn’t sure if the htz/oct vs. volt/oct would cause damage or issues to either the MS-20 or the Mother-32? Can I use the LFOs and Envelopes of the M32 to modulate MS-20 parameters and vice versa? What all is possible?

Thanks in advance : )

The Korg is labelled for voltage ranges on certain jacks

But besides Pitch I don’t think there’s much that needs to be hot

The nominal range on the physical MS keys are 1v through to 8v and this may or may not be an issue to the Moog (i doubt it) but I’ve read some Moog owners expressing concerns that the manual stated figures north of 5v are to be avoided - no idea what product

However, in terms of modulating from the A4 just keep it in the 5v max range to begin with and do a bit of research on the Moog - Envs and LFOs can go quite high on the A4 so you just need to set sensible limits in the CV settings - but i’d imagine anything coming from either synth’s patch points will be fair game into the other (just keep an eye on the labelling on the Korg - it may be for ins or/and outs)

2 Likes

I’ll have a look through the manuals on both the MS-20 and the M-32. I’ve not had any issues using the A4 to modulate either of the other two, but I wasn’t sure the Korg and the Moog would play nice if they were modulating each other.

I know I can’t really sequence the MS-20 with the Moog, but I’m not really interested in doing that.

And yes, I’ll specifically have a look at the I/O with labeled voltage ranges. I have to say the MS-20 patchbay has been somewhat more daunting than I thought it would be. The Moog I picked up on right away.

1 Like

It looks like most of the Mother-32 patchbay I/O are “typical” (according to Moog manual) -5/+5 voltage range. Each patchpoint is listed in the manual, with a voltage range. Great.

MS-20 manual isn’t very helpful, but as you say the patchbay is already labeled. So it looks like this two should play fine together.

1 Like