MS20 mini owners ... need help [sorted, sort of]

please :heart:
it’s a very simple ask, but hugely important to know the EXACT outcome !
3 mins to do, 2 mins to post results :wink:
can anyone oblige by recording a very straightforward test

As the output level from the headphone out is too hot, it would be better to test by using the signal out - adjust the recording level to avoid clipping if required

It’s only important to say which output was used and to follow the figure settings exactly.
This info will be invaluable to me in resolving an ongoing issue with Korg, they replaced a board, claiming it remedied the issue, but the key tracking is way out, so it needs further work, if I undertake that, the warranty is blown and I may be left with a bad example
Anecdotal feedback is no use as some people perceive the thump differently that is evident on key up
I created a different thread on this a while back and had no audio feedback, just observations/comments
Set dials exactly as above, record from ‘signal out’ jack
play one note (specified) for a second with Osc1 full on
wait two seconds
play one note (same) for a second with Osc1 full off
that’s all, real easy !
Here’s an option for hosting/sending a wave
WeTransfer
any other means will do nicely, but uncompressed audio is best
This is important because there’s an element of doubt that the key thump this test illustrates is somehow variable amongst units
I need proof that this is the case
Muffs and the Korg forum (in particular) were a dead loss, so I’m bumping this here

I have a Ms20 mini,
I will do the test this weekend (probably Sunday) and post the result.

what a gent :heart:
really appreciate this, long back story, tricky situation I am left in - this info will help enormously
if the issue I describe is effectively ‘normal’ then I will have to strip mine apart to fix the key tracking which is way out - then I can get on with it !
it’s been a long saga with Korg and retailer and I’m out of options - they will not be available in Europe until spring

I am still keen to back this up with any other good sports who can do this test :+1:

As long as there’s no clipping, I can take any file, normalise, and then draw meaningful comparisons between units with respect to the key thump magnitude, especially key up
It looked like mine was ‘normal’ but one test from a display unit was massively different, whether this was ‘test error’ or ‘other reason’ is not clear - so I’m left in total confusion - Korg’s own unit was the same as mine, but they’re not impartial on this issue !

I can try maybe in the next couple days.

FWIW the EG on these is real weird and not what you expect. I usually only set the sustain between zero to 12:00. I don’t remember exactly how it works or what I read about what happens in there but I think it offsets the amplitude starting point if you turn it up… whatever it is, it doesn’t work as most ADSR envelopes. And yes, the VCA is loud as heck, that might be all you’re hearing.

idk maybe this is all stuff you know and maybe it’s not helpful… I just assume it’s part of the quirkiness. Maybe the desktop version will give you a VCA more to your taste? I know I’ve considered upgrading or just buying another altogether. <3 MS-20

read this and watch that video a little ways down

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1200413&sid=19ea76e194714061e9fb45df1ec1ecd6

Thanks, yeah, I’m all over that and the other idiosyncrasies - this isn’t an issue I have with Korg & the MS20(mini) per se - it’s simply whether the VCA thump present on my unit is normal/average or exceptional
I have scant info to go with
a few listeners to the issue thought my issue sounded ‘extreme’
one thought it sounded the same
I did have Korg oblige and do the test and also the retailer and the results were wildly different - thus leading to the confusion about unit variability.
I’ve had a more detailed look at the issue and it does seem that the new board I got is offering an improvement, but nothing like the results posted by the retailer which I cannot replicate
So - yeah - there’s little in this perhaps for you helpful guys except the satisfaction of helping a fellow user out, but I can assure you the info will be massively useful to me - it may allow me to settle the debate and allow me to use the thing !
In that regard, the more feedback the better :slight_smile:

Just wanted to add
I learned a bit about my field recorder, through this process - it’s quite ruthless on the audio when it’s on the hot side, which isn’t so easy to monitor. When I piped the signal into the desktop MOTU there’s bags more room to manoeuvre - so depending how you grab, it may not matter if it’s from either jack.
A bit of feedback on this query would be welcome too, not vital tbh >
On the back of my replacement board not being calibrated, I had a look elsewhere for tuning issues and I’ve got a little nervous that other aspects may not be set up well.
I thought the EPS low / high filter ranges seemed odd … basically, the Low Cut Freq dial seems superficially useless until it is beyond 5, same with high cut - keep in mind that they ought to be 0 and 10 when ‘open’ -just not a lot of useful adjustment in either dial between 0 and 5 when used independently (trying both from the 0&10 start point)
You can feed the white noise into the esp and take a tap after the band pass into the ext in ( keep regular HPF and LFF open )
I’m curious because I know there are trimmers on the regular HPF and LPF pots to adjust the frequency of both at position 5 to be exactly 500Hz - so I’m wondering if there are unadjusted trimmers on these (unlikely tbh)

By thump, do you mean envelope noise? I’ve had two and they both sounded like a drum. When I asked around folks say they just play louder.

I need ‘real’ numbers, not words … i know it is an aspect of that original filter design that manifests in ‘nasties’ … all part of the charm, however, there’s a suspicion based on one (debatable) test and anecdotal replies that I have a board revision with a more exaggerated case of the thump … like this

it’s very obvious whether VCO level is Max or Min !
I need to quantify that level - it may be normal and i’m just noticing it more, but one tester (the retailer) had the same behaviour but at about a quarter of the magnitude !! They are now unavailable, so I have to keep/lose this one - but i will happily keep if it is normal, not if it is abnormally bad !

Someone has provided some very useful feedback offline. Many thanks @giftown. :+1:
I wouldn’t dissuade one other kind person from following suit just to nail it, if anyone’s still up for trying !

gentle bump for those that offered, not a wasted effort, still keen to settle this :wink:

Sorry didn’t have the time this weekend, just bought a house… :slight_smile:
I sure im gonna have some time this week.

Pretty sure that’s just how it is.

I 'spose this is an improvement on the ‘witty’ personal slight you saw fit to make on muffs :zonked:
I’m done with this now, it’s been too much of a drag for too long just to get a simple bit of fbk

No worries . Thanks for offering and understanding.
save your energy for the house when the time comes, good stuff

No worries . Thanks for offering and understanding.
save your energy for the house when the time comes, good stuff[/quote]
Yeah, first house… It scare the hell out of me :slight_smile: hehe.
Im taking a little pause from music until everything is sorted.

you’ve done incredibly well to get on the ladder, especially these days ! it was still the scariest commitment imaginable when I did it back in the day, was a great move though :+1:

You can see the thump right there!

Next time you wanna be a wise ass troll, just jog on, nobody’s interested .
Got it …