MS-20 + MnM VO-6 = Goldfrapp?

MS-20 + MnM VO-6 = Goldfrapp?

I have a 2020 (Green) Korg MS-20 on pre-order.

On Goldfrapp’s “Lovely Head” they use vocals to modulate the MS-20 using the External Signal Processor.

Can I use one channel/voice/analog out of a MonoMachine’s VO-6 machine to achieve similar effects? Just straight out of the MonoMachine into the MS-20? Seems like the same size cable.

Thanks.

1 Like

Doubt it. She’s a classically trained opera singer. Sure you could get a robotic version but never of that quality

3 Likes

Yep. You can process anything you like through the MS20 ESP. I have an original, and its er… tricky to get it dialed in if you want to achieve VCO tracking of the external source (which is the effect you are talking about) but that could be because my MS20 is 40 years old. You always get something weird and unexpected with MS20s anyway.

So yeah, go for it. The set up requirements are in the MS20 manual.

1 Like

Thank you, Craig.

Yes, it is the MnM’s VO-6 workflow into the Korg’s ESP that I am considering, initially for slow evolving drones, but then increasing the BPM’s into Goldfrapp territory.

Cheers.

Cool!

Thank you, Microtribe.

Never heard Goldfrapp before and the name popped up twice today in my Internet rabbit hole searching…Enjoying it (her?) so far. Like Portishead.

2 Likes

Their (its a duo) first album was amazing. Not really fussed about the rest of their stuff.

1 Like

Perfect James Bond stuff…

I highly rate their first 3 records

4 Likes

A lot of their early records featured production and playing fromthe king of pulsewave modulation Nick Batt (sonicstate)

2 Likes

My guess is that this will be difficult to achieve. The magic with the Goldfrapp sounds happens with the instabilities of the pitch and amplitude of the human voice combined with the synthesized tone. The VO-6 machine lacks these nuances (unless you carefully program them in, at least).

2 Likes

I do not think VO-6 is going to manage this level of expressiveness and control:

In the above video, Alison Goldfrapp is controlling the MS-20 pitch tracking when she sings into the second mic. She has explained in a few interviews how hard this is to do.

Also note that the pitch tracking works best with a consistent volume and with minimal timbre changes; my understanding is that she’s mostly singing a long sustained “a” sound while carefully controlling pitch changes to get that theremin-like effect.

5 Likes

Wow really? Neat

There are conections, Will Gregory has played sax on Portishead songs, Andrew Utley at least has collaborated with them…

1 Like

Why not use a vocaloid esque voice and process it through the ms 20 instead? Or sample a great voice and process