MPE Synth/Controller options

You mean HS’s can be set up to transmit note-per-channel per MPE standard, but they don’t provide polyphonic expression aside from aftertouch, isn’t that right?

Polyend / Dreadbox Medusa. Though recently discontinued, it shouldn’t be too hard to find second hand.

1 Like

And Note Off Velocity in the case of the Deluxe and the Explorer.

ADDED : A day later, some fine print. The Explorer and the Deluxe have not shipped and i can’t look at their MIDI output to be absolutely 100% certain that Note Off Velocity is sent in the MPE channel. The manual is not specific to this, at least i haven’t found it. But it seems a very safe assumption, that Note Off Velocity, a feature new to the Explorer and Deluxe, will be sent in the MPE channel. The HSK sends Note On, Aftertouch, and regular Note Off in MPE channel currently. It would make very little sense that the two new Hydrasynths send regular Note Off while in MPE, but Velocity Note Off in regular mode. But until i see it spelled out exactly, it deserves complete clarity.

Shouldn’t the Hydrasynth Desktop be listed under type C? It seems from the manual that X, Yabs and Yrel are available as mod sources but it is unclear whether those come from the pads or elsewhere.

1 Like

Done, it’s on the list. Thank you.

1 Like

Hopefully a Desktop owner can chime in on the X/Y thing.

Still dont get how you can say that the Hydrasynth is an MPE controller. Is my Roland A50 a MPE controller?

The only polyphonic expression it will do it aftertouch. (And velocity, but all keyboards do that)

Another one I saw mentioned elsewhere:

Madrona Labs Soundplane

3 Likes

I think ( let’s say with 90% certainty ) from reading the manual that this means as input to the Mod-Matrix when received via MIDI from an external source. So this is data received in MPE channels for MPE-X ( pitch bend ), and timbre control control via CC-74, either absolute 0 to 127, or relative -63 to 64. I don’t think this is generated, only received, but i don’t own a HSD.

Still a nice per voice feature.

I was interested in what the HSK does with MIDI CC data output by the Mod-Matrix while in MPE mode. As you might expect that data gets sent out the MPE Global channel, not the individual note MPE channels.

Also, i have added some detail ( an asterisk ) to my post about Note Off Velocity MPE data from the Hydrasynth Deluxe and Explorer.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

That Explorer is ( or will be when it ships in a month ) be a nice inexpensive mini MPE controller, which also has 99% of the Hydrasynth synth engine built in. Just no MPE pitch bend output.

1 Like

You can add Arturia MicroFreak (type B)

2 Likes

100% accurate description. I really like mine though, FWIW

1 Like

The QuNexus almost makes it to Type B, the blobs are in a keyboard arrangement. Perhaps i should up it to C+.

Also not on the list but considered was the KMI BopPad, which also does MPE. ( ADDED to the list. )

So PeteSasqwax, can you ( finger ) drum the pads on the QuNexus. I think of this, because of how the Bop Pad gets used.

I just checked on the the Pearl / KMI MalletStation. I might have missed it, but didn’t find any reference to MPE with it. But it probably makes a little less sense on a percussive force interface like that, although positional data could be used if available.

2 Likes

That’s a good question. I have to admit, I don’t often use it for MPE or MIDI control because it’s generally attached to something that needs CV input, but I’m interested to try it out with other things. I’ll give it a go and get back to you

1 Like

Done, it’s on the list.

I had known it did poly-aftertouch. Vasidudu has been experimenting using the MicroFreak as a poly-aftertouch controller for the Hydrasynth, a nice reversal of roles.

Seems the MicroFreak might hold the top position for cost / performance in MPE, all depending on what specifically someone is looking for. That’s all a judgement call.

I wonder if there might be some other Buchla like capacitive PCB keyboards that do MPE too ?

2 Likes

ROLI really needs to get their act together !

They innovate, and then let it all slip away. They said they will return to production of the Seaboards in 2022, but we’ll see on that. The pandemic didn’t help them, but their failure is mostly on their own shoulders.

At the very least they should sell their ideas on to a manufacturer that can do justice to their initial design.

1 Like

I find them infuriating and doubt I’ll ever spend with them again. The Noise app doesn’t display correctly for over a year now and you have to have the notification centre icon at all times on the iPad to force it from being a blank screen. They Noise app is a confusing half baked gimmick but it’s the only way to use some of the purchased sounds such as violins etc… even though it now works as a basic AU3 in other hosts.

I have the seaboard block and it’s great hardware but it’s usefulness is limited by the simple fact there isn’t an iPad application to just change its settings. So you actually need a PC/MAC to change any settings on the thing… thankfully a 3rd party has made an app to do it now, but that kind of inconsideration of your customer really sums up the company to me.

Roli just constantly leave me feeling short changed. Equator is decent though, but I don’t really use the PC much for music making these days.

Added the Artiphon Instrument 1, and Joué Play to the list.

Well there are quite a few options already, aren’t there ? Perhaps it’s more you are not finding what you want in the options offered.

Until the Osmose arrives, there is only the two full sized Hydrasynth keyboards, that give you any form of MPE in a conventional keyboard format, albeit with an MPE of reduced dimensions.

Where are the big controller manufacturers — Arturia, Novation, Native Instruments, Roland, AKAI, Nektar, Studiologic ? You’d think that Fatar could push this if they did an MPE capable keybed. Medeli is the only keybed maker that’s offers an option with their PolyTouch keybeds — that is what ASM uses.

It would be nice if there was a mass manufactured lower cost version of the Continuum, but perhaps it will never be anything beyond a low volume niche product.

Looks like Osmose will be where it’s at. Doubt that Expressive E will ever sell a keybed product, though they could ask a real premium.

I could see Novation for instance doing a premium controller with such a thing, perhaps something like their SL MkIII, with a built in MPE capable sequencer, and the multi-dimensional CV interface, and DAW interface too. ( Expressive E is doing things with arpeggiators that take more dimensions of control too. )

Very expensive, but i think they could sell enough for it to be worth their while. There are certainly plenty of hardware and software synths that take MPE control.

Interestingly, I did a quick Google to see if Medeli had started actually listing their keybed products publicly anywhere (no), and found that MusicTribe have a trademark application in for “PolyTouch” as well. It seems like an obvious conflict, but that’s par for the course. I will be quite annoyed if they’re the first folks to ship the blindingly obvious poly at controller.

I posted about this back in June.

Both Medeli and Music Tribe have trademarks for POLYTOUCH with the USPTO ( U.S. Patent and Trademark Office ). Medeli’s precedes the Music Tribe one by 21 months. The Medeli one has been approved, the Music Tribe one has only been applied for. They may be in separate categories.

Here are the USPTO reports:
Medeli
Music Tribe

I’ve posted about Behringer working on a poly-aftertouch keyboard elsewhere. They intend to use it in both a CS-80 and a DX-7 sort of synth. Don’t know if they have intents for using it for MPE, or in a controller.

I don’t think there are any restrictions on a generic poly-aftertouch keybed, although i would bet there are current patents on specific implementations for this technology. The more the merrier. The issue of naming and trademark is a minor deal, and easily resolved.

Hopefully Behringer does intend an MPE controller, and they make a top notch keybed, and add even more dimensions. Doing a poly-aftertouch keybed that feels natural, and works well is not a trivial task.

Medeli has a short blurb on their keybed on their technology page.

1 Like