Mpc2500

I will try it myself … out of curiosity … If I succeed, I will report back. I expect that it should work somehow, because that’s what pgm-changes are for in the first place, isn’t it? :wink:

With my DT, if I had to make a program change I’d have to trigger on the step before, and then micro-time it to be almost in time. Worked fine. This may be your issue?**

1 Like

As promised … I tried it myself … result … disillusioning :frowning:

I tested a 4 bar looping sequence on the MPC, which had

• pgm change at 1.01.000 (first bar, first event)
  • pgm change at 3.01.000 (third bar, first event)

Out of curiosity I tested with OT, AR, and DN. All three show the same behaviour as you described.

To find the real culprit, I switched on one of my synths and programmed a patch-pgm-change. The synth did as expected. At the beginning of bar 1 and 3 it changed its patch in time.

Hence the Elektron sequencers bear the blame. They seem to take the command, but perform the pgm change only after jumping to the beginning of their pattern. I searched for an option to get an immediate pgm change, but to no avail.

Lesson learned:

… it’s either to have everything arranged or synchronised around an Elektron sequencer that the Elektron sequencer changes pattern as we want, which is a little cumbersome and very indirect …

or to use a footswitch and kick the pgm-change in - how would we say “manually” with the foot? Nevertheless we seem to have to accept that the pgm change is executed only, after restart of the corresponding pattern.

Maybe some Elektron wizard knows more?

Thanks for testing this out, I spent hours an hours trying to figure out this, I thought it was something I was doing or missed. I guess there is no work around to automate this… my mpc being the main work horse of my setup… I guess I could always sample my parts from my DN to the MPC, but I do like the sequencer for the DN for certain aspects… would it be possible to make the DN the master, could it send changes to the MPC?

I haven’t done extensive testing, but I was able to get my mpc live to follow program changes from Octatrack using the program change on pattern change setting.
Worth a shot with DN as master, though of course you are limited to manual pattern changes and chains from the DN…

Though ultimately you may just want to sample your patterns to the mpc.

Yes … the DN manual explains how to do it in section 12.3 “Syn1 Page (Midi Source)” …

BTW … I found this in the DN manual, section 10.1, “Basic Pattern Operation” …

“When a pattern is playing, and a new pattern is selected, the new pattern position is shown flashing in the upper left corner of the screen. Once the last step of the pattern has played, the new pattern starts, and the pattern position ceases to flash.”

No wonder, that it didn’t work “our way” … :wink:

So there is still no way to get it to work right? My chum is lending me his OT for a few days… how would you guys hook the audio path up… ? thx everyone… i was thinking connect my dn to my mixer with my guitars the mixer to the mpc then have the OT at the end of the chain.

The MPC 2500 is definitely an awesome machine.

I used to be always just looping two bars (on the machine just one bar, half bpm of the ‚real‘ speed), jamming, erasing, changing kits, with 4 drum kits and a 4-channel DJ mixer, awesome :grin:

Why not connect the Digitone as the master and just record the midi from the Digitone onto MPC. Then reconfigure it back and use the Digitone as a sound module only?

Geneoart… Im not sure I understand what you me… but I would like too. Nothing wrong with your explanation. Its on my end. Im not the smartest… was wondering if you could explain?

Setup the midi out from your Digitone to midi in into your MPC. Then set track one on the MPC to midi channel 1. Sequence on your Digitone the bass line then record all that information onto your MPC. Press overdub on your MPC and it will wait for the Digitone to start. Peas start on the Digitone then the MPC will start recording all the midi information from the Digitone. You’ll want to set up both machines to be the same amount of bars, let’s say 4. Then once you reach the end of the loop you’ll stop the sequencer and disengage the MPC recorder. Now you can move on to your next track midi channel 2 and so on. Once you are done recording all your Digitone parts you send midi back from the MPC to the Digitone. Go to your midi config on the Digitone and turn off clock receive. You already know how to set up program change on your MPC so now when you play your sequence it will follow your program changes instantly. You essentially turn your Digitone into a sound module only. I don’t own the MPC 2500 or JJOS, I work with the MPC Live but the fundamentals are the same.

I got it i think… just clarify is the mpc recording midi only right? i think i understand:) In theory… say i have bass sound loaded on T1 of the digitone… make sure none of the trigs are set to play… then go to T2 on the digitone and sequence something useing the digitone step sequencer… could i leave clock on… to play T2 in sequence… ty a bunch btw

…akais os where always a bit lame compared to jjos…and yes, with jjos ur mpc becomes even a multimapping sampler, instead of a one shot sampler…therefor it can make sampling become a traditional file recorder…so, yup, u can go far beyond midi recording and the classic way of sampling…
before i stumbled over elektron gear years ago, everthing i did was mpc…
the mpc sequencer is a traditional track by track concept, based on playing/fingerdrumming…feels like a good old 4tracker and beyond…
while elektron’s step sequencer concept alone is almost an instrument of it’s own…
so u should make mpc the master, since they both capture the tempo within each single sequence/pattern…and it will be very intresting to trigger single voices of the dn from the mpc sequencer, but don’t miss the plocking options of the elektron sequencer, cause it opens up the full potential of the dn far beyond it’s four seq tracks and it’s 8 voices…

But u can’t pram lock the midi sequencers you record to the mpc?

Yes the MPC is only recording midi. So all your p-locking should be recorded as well.

This actually probably won’t work as the digitone does not send out midi (or Plocks) for it’s internal tracks. you could copy the internal track to a midi track on the digitone, but you would lose Plocks in this case as well–and forget about sound locks.

1 Like

…no…u should really use these BOTH sequencers for what they’re best in…

in the mpc is what u hear, what u get…pretty strictly straight forward thinking…as if u would endlessly dub one element over the next one…64 individual tracks in each of the 99 sequences that can have any lenght in bars and tempi as u whish for…while each track can adress external midi devices, or one 'til up to 32 different samples at the same time, mapped to certain pads or defined ranges of pads., that can also be played by standard keyboards…

in elektron sequencers ur maxed out with 64 bars in each of the 128 sequences…u can tell the sequencer which of the trax within such a sequence can play half or double timings or whatsoever divisions, but end of the day and no matter how fast or slow ur counting within a certain tempo, 64 bars is where it ends…and starts again…
coming from a daw or a mpc, that might sound a little not that much in first place…BUT…even a one bar loop can contain a whole sonic universe already…combined with that simple fact that EACH paramenter can differ completely from every single step to the next one before or after within each bar, opens up to eternity for real…

so, when it comes to multi timbral questions, the mpc has always 32 independant voices to offer…while an ot can give u only 8 at once…the takt also offers 8…but mono…the tone has also 8 voices, but only 4 tracks…m:s has six tracks and six voices…a4 got 4 voices and 4 tracks…but as mentioned…parameter locking is a game changer…

as u see, the mpc makes a great centerpiece for clocking all the rest, doing most of the job, but for the overall essential spice any elektron box will do a great job by just being slaved to the rhythm, but from there on, just doing their thing…all on their own…

1 Like

I agree with Reeloy, if it was me I would use both of the sequencers together, both machines have great sequencers with good features plus a lot of the features (& the workflows) are different.

Combine the sequencers & use the strengths of each.

1 Like

Digitone doesn’t change with the MPC on time with program change massages.

Yea I was reading about that above, that sucks… isn’t it possible to make program changes, but you have to trigger it in advance? Not ideal, but personally it would be worth it to me in order to use both sequencers together. Or program change manually, but I know @momodig plays guitar as well making it not ideal to manually change programs. Hmmmm…

I think looking into a foot switch like discussed above would be a good idea.

1 Like