MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Testing some audio interfaces with the 2.10 update with an mpc live mk1.
Behringer x32 works
Zoom r16 does not work
Kieth mcmillen k mix works
DT does not work
Focusrite 2i4 works

2 Likes

Bummer indeed…They need to fix this…

Tested an SSL2+ yesterday and the output works.

Focusrite 6i8 works
Digitone and Digitakt won’t work as they have a fixed sample rate at 48k.

I think the requirements are not only to be class compliant at 44.100 but also to be Linux compatible.

Did you test the zoom in class compliant mode? There is a switch on the back.

Is there a CC list for the new mpcs? I want to midi map a mixer to my tracks. Any other function would be good too

I just tried my Zoom R16 and it seems to be working great after an initial hiccup (there’s no relevant switch on the back on mine, though).

My setup was MPC into Zoom via MIDI, and Digitone into the Zoom via audio.

You don’t need to power the Zoom separately, but if you do then use the USB button to start the audio interface mode. If you’re powered by USB you still need to start the interface, but you don’t need to push the USB button to get there.

Powered by USB, the Zoom will start up in 96khz mode, but as soon as you select it as the audio interface on the MPC, it’ll change to 44.1.

At this point the MPC’s audio will be coming through the Zoom’s headphones. The Zoom’s audio inputs will map to inputs 1-8 on the MPC, either individually or as stereo pairs. The internal mics can be activated for channels 7 and 8, and they work too. The gain knobs work but the faders don’t - and the Zoom’s buttons all send MIDI notes to the current MPC track. I’m not sure if the faders can be mapped to MIDI, I haven’t tried that yet.

I couldn’t seem to assign the MPC to anything other than output 1/2 on the Zoom.

My hiccup was that the first time I powered up the MPC, with the Zoom already in USB mode, the MPC seemed to freeze and wouldn’t move past the initial splash screen. I had to pull the power to reboot, and since then it’s behaved fine.

So from what I’ve seen here, the R16 does work as an 8 in / 2 out interface, which could be very handy. Not sure what version my R16 is on, but I can check if need be.

3 Likes

Other peeps are reporting that it’s working: Akai MPC Forums - Compatible Class Compliant USB Interfaces : MPC X, MPC One & MPC Live

Maybe something different in their setup?

1 Like

Thanks, may be it was me or there is a firmware update, which I’m not aware of. I will check again.

But I don’t think there is a different setup. We can only plug USB cables between the interface and the MPC :wink:

Edit: It was me … after setting the sample frequency the interface needs a “commit and restart” procedure. I just hadn’t seen this. After the reboot the iConnect Audio 2+ works fine and I can enjoy to play my iPad synths directly in the MPC.

You should definitely check out the latest firmware release 2.10…:wink:

There are project level functions that can be midi mapped via the Midi Control mode (Midi Learn is possible, so no need for CC assignments in that sense) and there are global functions (Q-Links etc) that cannot be midi mapped at all except when in controller mode (ie tethered to a computer) or via a mod/hack made available by TheKikGen (chrck on GitHub).

2 Likes

Oh word. I think i probably need to update the zoom r16. I was getting the mpc to read it, and the outputs worked but i couldnt get the inputs to work. Ill try again.

I wish there was a line mixer/summing mixer that also worked as an interface. I have so many stereo pairs of trs i want to route into the mpc :weary:.

If anyone has a cymatic utrack24 please test this out.

sweet! love this mixer. thanks for the info.

I missed that part about the zoom model tested being an R16. I read it as being one of the newer L series. They have a class compliant switch. My mistake.

I already have a Focusrite Clarett 4 pre (thunderbolt) connected to a MacBook. Can anybody tell me if this will work:

I buy a new class compliant USB audio interface and attach to the MPC. I link its output to the input of the Focusrite via ADAT Toslink. Will I then be able to hear the instruments from the new interface, the MPC and from the MacBook in the Focusrite?

MPC users; did you get the MPC expansion builder software with your purchase? I got the Force, looking to build some stuff; but didnt get the software.

It’s not in my list of downloads for the One, but expansions are easy enough to create by hand. Grab a free MPC expansion and you should be able to rename it from .xpn to .zip, then take a look inside and modify the support files to match your samples. I did this to split the huge Jupiter Rising expansion into smaller packs (bass, pad, lead etc.) to improve browsing times and it was no problem - the longest part was creating separate icons for each pack. Just zip up your finished pack and rename it back to .xpn. I’m not sure if the Force does anything with xpn files at all, so you might need access to an MPC to check the results - but you can check the unzipped expansion folders are working on the Force.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Force takes XPM files as well. Converted my Maschine kits to XPM yesterday with a free tool. Works neat and even includes previews.

1 Like

what does ‘works near’ mean, and which free tool is this?

Typo; this is the free tool: Maschine Expansions to AKAI MPC and Force

I’m probably going to buy kitmaker though ones i decide on keeping the Force (which Im probably gonna, my OT is up for sale already) because thats just too powerful.

3 Likes