MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 2)

A picture of MPC keys leaked and it seems that there are new plugins: grand piano, Fabric XL.

I hope it will be available for my MPC One.

10 Likes

If Akai and Ensoniq made a child it would be this. My hand is reaching for my credit card already

That would be niceā€¦.

Iā€™ll give the people at Akai a huge thumbs up. They gives a fā€¦ck when it comes to the sheer size and gaudiness of their machines. Theyā€™re like, ā€œf-it, make it bigger!ā€

5 Likes

i definitely donā€™t have space for it and itā€™s probably overkill for what i need an MPC to do, but it is damn tempting (though as someone who doesnā€™t finger drum, would be happy with a pad-less 44 key version too)

1 Like

I donā€™t need a synthesizer.

1 Like

Nothing to do with MPC Keys, but is it possible to send MIDI from an external source (Logic in my case) to control different tracks separately? Like send MIDI channel 1 to control track one, channel two to track 2, etc.

I canā€™t find a setting to assign a MIDI channel to an individual track anywhere. As it is itā€™s just universal, playing whatever track is currently selected on the MPC.

But you want it ! Sorry I should be helping

1 Like

Multimidi

Whatā€™s multimidi? Never heard of it, and no mention in the manual.

On your chosen program screen tap the tiny eye icon in the upper left portion of the screen, you can assign where the midi for that program comes from and which channel etcā€¦

2 Likes

And set the monitor setting to Mearge to use MPC as a multitimbral instrument,

1 Like

Be sure to post some pics when it arrives.

:wink:

5 Likes

that thing is huge and the placement of the 16 pads is kinda weirdā€¦

3 Likes

I was thinking the same, this thing looks like a back breaker to use. Akai does not give a flying fuck about ergonomics with this and the force under their belt. Thank god the X is shaped like an old mpc. Iā€™m quite surprised that they didnā€™t go with 16 q links. no scribble strips too. I hope they add more proper synths. Would love to see FM or wavetable.

I wonder how big it is in person. Looks a bit like youā€™d have to press record and run across the room to the pads. I bet itā€™s fun though Canā€™t really knock it til I try it

1 Like

I think the one thing Iā€™d need assurance of is how well the pads work in that position, and that they donā€™t have a rattling thump in the hollow body. But Akai have earned some trust with their handling of this line so far.

Itā€™s be really weird if this didnā€™t come with or quickly get a version of the Forceā€™s Arranger mode, as itā€™s the only thing stopping it from being a full-on rule-them-all workstation, though as with the MPC itself thereā€™s probably some tricky wrangling needed to bring it acrossā€¦ on the Force it benefits from the ā€˜one device, one trackā€™ model, and in many ways a Force keyboard would make more sense - but not in the marketing sense, of course.

Anyway, itā€™s too expensive and I donā€™t have anywhere to put it, which is great because otherwise Iā€™d be complaining that it only has four q-links.

2 Likes

But look at the right hand side, that upper section looks perfect for a Midi Twister. :upside_down_face:

Iā€™m probably like a lot of others here, thinking ā€˜I donā€™t need thisā€™ about it. But, even though Iā€™m not a keyboard player, I spend a lot of time playing/using keys when I work on music, I think melodically and in harmonic terms. Given this, and given that I really like the MPC as a workstation, Iā€™d probably like using the MPC Keys a lotā€¦ knowing that I already know the workflow is a big bonus too.

Curious Question;

Is anyone here looking at the MPC Keys knowing theyā€™re going to instantly buy it?

2 Likes

I think -and Iā€™m certainly telling myself - that Iā€™d find it a bit annoying overall. Thereā€™s a lot of keys that donā€™t really fit into the Force / MPC paradigm - you could theoretically use them to provide multiple 16 levels layouts like the Force, but itā€™d be awkward, and for me the Force seems preferable, because I like to work with pads and comforting multiples of 16. So itā€™d largely be an unwieldy MPC welded to a big controller keyboard, and in that scenario Iā€™d rather keep them separated.

But for anyone hankering for a modern-day W30 or FZ-1 and wanting to get stuck into the keygroups, zones and layers features with a full set of keys, I expect itā€™s going to be great fun.

1 Like

Iā€™ll get one the minute they put out a Retro edition.

3 Likes

why does this have such a powerful effect? I think it would appeal to me about 1000 times more in retro colour scheme. imagine an X like this

5 Likes