MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 2)

Yea, my bed and patio are my favorite places to make music. Battery is clutch.

1 Like

I got the Morningstar MC8;

1 Like

I mimicked this scenario because I thought if you set the loop points at bar 25 on the main page in a 32 bar seq, then the Step Seq might take you straight there.

It doesnā€™t. You have to hit the - Bar + 25 times.

But this was pretty fast and painlessā€¦ Iā€™d see it as a minor inconvenience thatā€™s worth it to be able to have long sequences.

I use that method a lot too, doubling up to 32, 64 and 128 bar seqs and recording MPC mute/mix performances. Itā€™s gold.

1 Like

Hi guys, hope everyone is well.

I have a few questions but not the mpc in front of me at the moment.

Basically, I would like to have all my beat samples laid out on 16 pads.

For example:

• pads 1 to 4 = drum 1 shots.

• Pads 5 to 8 = sliced melodic sample

Question 1:

If I lazy chop a melodic sample can I assign these new slices to an existing program? The one I already have drum samples on for example?

I have a feeling there is a ā€œcreate new program or notā€ choice but I might be confused with the mpc 1000 jjos2xl.

Actually thinking about it it might be easier to create the sliced program and add the drums afterwardsā€¦

Question 2:

Provided we achieved the above. if I wanted to sidechain the sliced melodic sample to the kick within the same program, what would be the best way? Assign the slices to a submix and add a mother ducker to the submix? Or does the pad group function within the program allows me to ā€œgroup assignā€ the motheducker to several pads at once?

Thanks for your help!

Hi!
In that case I would from the Slice view create a new program from the slices (not destructive). This allows you to tweak start/end points of the chops from your new program afterwards. I would then add the 4 drum samples since that is easy enough.
Side note: i think there is also a way to create new wav files from the chops which you can later add to a program from the sample pool.

I think you can most likely achieve side chaining via bus tracks, as you describe. But personally I wouldnā€™t do it in this case because it complicates my sketching and mixing process, since bus tracks are on a separate mixing page, muting sounds becomes complicated etc.

I would juat put the melodic stuff on its own program and put the mother ducker on that entire program.

1 Like

In theory I think you could even keep everything in the same program and put one instance of the mother ducker on every pad channel :sweat_smile:

Would make overview and muting easier, but tweaking the mix a bit more time consuming

1 Like

Thanks @aortan makes perfect sense. The reason for this specific set up is that Iā€™d like to finger drum a whole beat so having it on all 16 pads is essential.
So it looks like itā€™ll be fairly time consuming to set up haha
Cheers!

Ahh I see :slight_smile: I think the initial setup is pretty straight forward actually!

As I understand it you are triggering all the sounds by finger drumming and might not even use loops or have a large amount of programs and tracks, so what Iā€™m describing with the returns probably wonā€™t even be a problem for you!

Btw. I do think Track Mutes does mute the MIDI data, so the sound will mute across both programs and returns. But it doesnā€™t mute the rest of the sample tail/loop since that note is already triggered.

Not really, thereā€™s a few ways to set this up.
As you said, you could assign the pads that need to be sidechained to a sub mix, add a motherducker to it and a motherducker input to the kick.
I prefer to individually add the motherducker to each pad so they can be customised more, but this takes longer.

And then off course set up your mute groups correctly so the hats cut each other and so forth.

It kinda feels laborious to begin with, but after a couple of times itā€™s all a smooth process

1 Like

Hey @Automageddon thanks for this. This seems in a way sort of similar to the sp-404 mk2 workflow Iā€™m currently trying to adapt to the Mpc One.
Iā€™ll try all this tonight and will report back.

Iā€™m learning finger drumming at the moment, so Iā€™m planning to do all in a kit and (after a few years of practice) to be able to perform with a mix of one-shot and loops.
A few things that are super useful:

• remember you can change the colour of individual pads to have similar types of sounds in the same colour;
  • if you always have the same sounds on the same pads, you can save the colour scheme as a default so any time you create a drum program the pads are automatically coloured

Is there a way to use a MIDI foot controller to toggle Overdub on and off? Have tried to investigate this but havenā€™t got a concrete answer. Would love it it if this were possible.

Thatā€™s really good to know @Automageddon
Also the set list function update coming on the 23d could be handy once you have a live set ready to switch between beats.
Although Iā€™m keen to know how loading time is handled when switching between beats.

Or if youā€™re just finger drumming, it would be faster to switch banks. Each drum program can hold 8 banks of 16 pads each

1 Like

True, and if you need even more you could just add more programs

Gave it a quick and dirty try late last night and had drum one shots laid out on pads 1-2-3 (kick, Hh loop, snare) and 4x melodic slices on 5-6-7-8. I simply copy-pasted pad 5 to 6 and changed the sample region each time and so on.
Now having a phat kick sidechaining everything else but the snare makes for gnarly gnarly finger drumming!
I will definitely revisit this with a clearer head. Thanks for your help!

3 Likes

Posted some minutes ago, popped up at my YT subs:

I havenā€™t watched the whole video yet, letā€™s seeā€¦

Edit: Seems like Akai released an official video:

7 Likes

Anyone here got the update?!

Drives me mad why they called the Virtual/Software Instruments ā€˜Pluginsā€™ā€¦ they should have called them VIā€™s and left the ā€˜Pluginsā€™ term for the FX sectionā€¦

Anyway, apart from that annoyance, Iā€™m looking forward to June 23rdā€¦ mainly for the ā€˜Favoritesā€™ and ā€˜Setlistā€™ features I think. (Oh, and the probability and the tunerā€¦)

The set list would be really useful with disk streaming. There is some reason that disk streaming is not in this update. Itā€™s weird, because Force had it and it has the exact same internals.

Iā€™m hoping Akai is not going to put MPC disk streaming in some paid premium subscription ā€œproā€ package, but I fear the worstā€¦