MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 2)

On the same note, how is the Mpc not supporting the Akai Fire? It would be a great add on to step sequencer mode.

Note: I’m not dissing the Mpc.

2 Likes

another day, another MPC mystery to unravel . . .

i’m finding when i assign chopped samples to a pad (not converting into a program, but assigning individually slice by slice) i can adjust the tail length for each slice and save it as many times as i want but every time i reload the project fresh all the tail lengths revert to OFF. no clue why it won’t save the value like any other pad/sample parameter but . . . apparently it’s not

(also, can reasonably confirm that the MIDI note overlap bug is still present in 2.11.7 at least for multiple plugins – if i have two different plugins on different tracks, any overlapping notes between them will choke off the first plugin’s note. not the end of the world with the new key range mapping workflow, you can set hard min/max and transpose the plugin up/down to get it in the register you want but still not ideal that the bug seems to have not actually been fixed)

1 Like

Friday morning MPC musings…

I’ve been torn between the MPC and the Force for the last 4-6 months.

I have a cyclic pattern where certain limitations of the MPC makes me go to the Force for all the things I dig about it… then the ergonomics of the Force start to annoy me and makes me miss the Live 2 for it’s compact ergonomics, speakers and battery/portability, so back I go to the MPC.

Yesterday I swapped my Live 2 for the Force, that’s where I’m up to in the cycle right now.

I don’t know what the solution is, but ideally I would like to commit to one setup for a year, and not deviate.
It’s not an option right now, but I feel a Force mk2 might be the answer.

For context, away from my Akai set up(s) I have a DAW (Ableton) setup where 99% of my music ends up.

Anyone else been in this situation? Or in a similar situation?

1 Like

When deciding between the Live and Force in 2019, it wasn’t too difficult for me, I wanted the Force.

So I built a stand to place it at the angle I wanted to make it easy and comfortable to use and never looked back.

I could see an MPC one in the far off future, separate from my other stuff as a little corner to experiment and play - but the Force is here to stay for me. Love it’s size and ergonomics after setting it at the correct angle for me.

1 Like

I’m in and have been through exactly the same thing!! I currently have my 3rd Force. In between then I have had the MPC live 2 and the Maschine +.

Generally happy with the Force at the moment, but I still Google the live 2 most days and consider the swap.

I did wonder how well both might play together but in the end decided that would be overkill and the Force does 99% of what I need. It’s a little big and clunky, but I didn’t think the live 2 was massively portable either - loved the battery and the speaker, but it was still a little big and heavy to throw in a backpack like a
Circuit or a Polyend play etc.

Appreciate not helping your dilemma at all but you are not alone!! I also think the Force is the right call!!

Nah, stick with the Force. Going forward it looks less burdened by technical debt than the MPC series thus will evolved more rapidly than its counterparts. I have both the Force and the One and will eventually sell the One just to keep the Force, once I transferred all my projects to the Force, because the One isn’t doing what I need, like disk streaming or bus/master track automation unlike the Force.

Do you think they’ll release a force mk2? It seems they’re doubling down on the MPC considering the Keys 61 and the rumored XL. In any case, ergonomy seems like a huge factor if you’re going to spend a year on either of them. Which workflow is ideal for you, and if it’s the Force, does the workflow advantages outweigh the ergonomics?

1 Like

It’s definitely around-the-house portable, not backpack portable.

It’s a constant battle I regularly fight amongst quite a bit of gear. I’d consider yourself lucky it’s only between two.

2 Likes

I like both, genuinely.
The big factor I didn’t mention earlier with the Force is that I usually get to the point of ‘why aren’t I just using Ableton??’ when using it.

Who knows… it might just be more updates, which I’d take… the big issue I have with the Force is that it’s fixed tempo per project. Not being able to switch tempo’s between scenes is an issue for me, that the MPC has no problem with doing.

1 Like

That‘s EXACTLY the strong feeling I get whenever I try the Force and what‘s kept me and will keep me from getting one.

That was what made me go back to using the DAW instead of using the MPC, despite how much I enjoyed the MPC over the past year. I’m only keeping it because I need a lot more time to offload/export 10+ projects and I’d love to do it on the Youtube channel. :joy:

1 Like

so you wanna loop
make sure to read the video caption

3 Likes

I got to the same point when using my mpc live II. Aside from ease of chopping I always thought, why aren’t I just using my daw?

1 Like

Exactly the same here. It’s the sample chopping and mangling that is the truly great part of it, and the zero latency between the controller and the audio. The rest is just as good in the DAW.

1 Like

F#$k a daw…

2 Likes

I honestly don’t know why this debate wages on…

If you need a proper production environment, a DAW is paramount. If you need a hardware instrument, you get an MPC.

And if you don’t know, or can’t decide, which you need (if not both), then perhaps that speaks to a lack of clear vision.

Cheers!

4 Likes

fixed that for you :wink:

3 Likes

I already did.

The important part is that I know why I did. :wink:

Cheers!

2 Likes