MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I disagree … not with your opinion, but with some part of the industry. IMHO too many users have only been made to believe that, and are used to that the “user” is required, to get rid of bugs.

Allow a very extreme example … flight-software, something which is going to run air-crafts or space-crafts. Nobody would accept “bugs”, which we experience with “consumer” software daily.

I have some experience with professional software, music and CGI business related. Nobody there would accept to be a bug-hunting user. If the software is dedicated to help make money, there is nothing like this accepted. Most professionals are very careful to “upgrade”, because it’s more important to have a stable and reliable tool, rather a fancy new toy. There are enough opportunities and options to get professionals as beta-testers and this will get the most annoying bugs killed, before the product hits the masses. I know some companies, which make use of this and their products are not undue expensive. It’s only a question about taking care :smiley: - or not :frowning:

What some companies don’t get right, is the understanding, that an unreliable software in the pro-market ruins reputation dramatically. Example: DSI and Akai are up to date criticized for “critical” bugs, which are quite a history. And if a company want 's to keep it’s customers, it has to de-bug the software anyway :wink:

Yes, there will be no bug-free world ever, but there are many options to get rid of the most annoying bugs prior to the official release, but some developers just don’t care :frowning:

3 Likes

Been reading the latest MPC software manual. To me the GUI is far behind other DAW environments. It is leading me toward going directly to DAW for better user experience. Anyone have good experience with MPC 1.9.3 software usability compared with Ableton, Bitwig etc? I was hoping MPC could replace the DAW but unless 2.0 is a big jump I think the experience on the computer at least might be a little frustrating. I havent used the MPC software so am interested in peoples experiences with it.

MPC 2.0 is not released yet.

I know. Im referring to 1.9.3 as a close reference point.

I see the MPC Live/X as this :

1. it’s not a DAW replacement, i’m still pretty sure i will mixing on a DAW at the END.
  2. it’s more pleasant way to working with great visual feedback with less mouse and click
  3. it will cover the other one aspect of SAMPLE, which is Sample Program with Layers and keygroups.
  4. it will then be possible to play program polyphonically without the hassle to prepare chords for the OT.
  5. it will add some new effects to the SETUP, and new routing modulations possibilities.
  6. i will be able to sample another way, vinyls included
  7. all the other things as nice additions we find when we have it…

That’s what i have in mind, but i do not say i will buy it. I’m interested.

2 Likes

I am interested too, but really keen on Bitwig 2.0, having a hard time justifying both in my setup mainly from a cost perspective. I think I could live more without MPC. I think it might make the workflow more complicated when factoring in everything together.

I have to factor in Reaktor 6, elektron trinity plus keys, overbridge, possibly Bitwig and getting it all working together. MPC might act as a good integration tool for sound, sampling, midi and song design OOB but it might also overly complicate it.

2 Likes

Sounds like you don’t really ‘need’ a new standalone drum machine/sampler/scratchpad etc and are more in the market for a daw? Way better options for that than MPC so yeah, maybe save yourself the money/stress and just grab something more matured like Bitwig, Sonar, Ableton etc?

Yes i know there’s always something to buy. And it’s also the case when you pay attention to not spend to much money in gears and focus on something covering all needed territories. But yeah to me it’s a sampler the old school way i looking for to pair my Octatrack… And the possibility to be computer free. I’m in that way of thinking, be able to working all the territories with or without a computer and all that SYNC well. So i choose then my way : on a daily basis, project basis, experiment territories basis or mood basis.

1 Like

This is where Im heading but the MPC box seems like a lot of fun :grin:

1 Like

I want it, but probably dont need it. Reality is I can create sets on elektron hardware, then when I want to produce it, it goes into Bitwig via overbridge. I can use my elektrons to pass other sounds to the DAW through their inbuilt audio interface. I have sequencer capability already with OT, MnM,MDUW. I saw MPC as a possible way to reduce on usb midi hosts and audio interfaces in one box, and to produce away from the computer, but my concern is MPC software does not have the grunt a dedicated DAW offers, or maybe less user friendly from a software perspective.

It’s all down to personal preference mate! For me a DAW is so overwhelming in it’s possibilities that I am literally drowning in it most of the time instead of making music with it… For me the limitation is key for producing something… Besides that I am working with a computer at work all day so don’t want to sit behind one for making music in my free time and the most critical downer for me with a DAW… Latency issues when integrating hardware… OS/Software/Driver updates… I am sick of it and just want to play without that stuff :wink:

I see you have Reaktor 6 which is awesome sample food for your Octatrack (I use it for that) and since you are a ‘Hardware Man’ I think the MPC would give you more pleasure compared to a DAW, but first try out Bitwig if possible and see for yourself if you can get everything working the way you want :wink: Cheers!

1 Like

Go Bitwig for now, MPC Live will not be ready before March/April, nice to let the first batch evolve and see how users react. Plus you have a grace period on Bitwig you buy now you get 2.0 for free.

1 Like

Yeah me too i’m graphic designer on the side…

1 Like

Gday mate, I am reviewing Bitwig right now, Im finding it to be great so far but early days. The user interface is intuitive, and it is not so limitless in options like Ableton yet. It seems to integrate well with Reaktor 6 too. I am similar to you regarding computers but I just bought a new laptop too so want ensure it is being used effectively rather than just an internet forum reader :grin:

3 Likes

You could just use Reaper as Daw? I’ve used it a few times and seemed almost up there with Sonar. Midi editing I found much better in Sonar. And Sonar has integrated melodyne etc. But reaper Has take lanes etc at least(missing still from ableton) . Decent timestrech. Audition to tempo with half speed/double speed etc. The basic stuff I need out of bread and butter daw. Not as fluid/creative as ableton or bitwig with the modulation or max kind of stuff. But still pretty deep. And it’s free…so you can grab mpc and reaper, just for price of mpc :wink: Don’t know how overbridge is in reaper tho?

1 Like

Dont think it works with sufficiently with Overbridge.
I do need to download and try it, just have my handsful comparing MPC, learning Bitwig and learning Reaktor 6 at the moment.

2 Likes

I shut my mouth because i sound like a Bitwig salesman i guess now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I thank you for the advice actually, really liking it so far.

1 Like

Haha I know the feeling mate! I bought a Macbook two years ago and never really used it for the reason I bought it for in the first place… Making Music… So I use it for making sounds for the Octatrack instead.

I Never could get Overbridge working the way I wanted without spending a whole evening fooling around with settings that wouldn’t work the same way the next day… Anyway, Bitwig is great and has many many possibilities… Every DAW is limitless these days with all the available VST and VSTI. Even Reaktor 6 is Limitless in that regard :wink:

3 Likes

I havent tested Bitwig with Overbridge yet but many have confirmed it is working tight with Overbridge, easy to setup apparently once you know how Bitwig works.

1 Like