MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Conversely, I switched to a live about a year and a half ago after using a 1k for years and would never go back.

3 Likes

As in a battery mod for the 1k? Youā€™re half right about the nostalgia I went from a 1k jjos to a one and it definitely made me miss the old thing, but I couldnā€™t go back. I pretty much miss some of the unique features of the midi sequencer. I do not miss the load times, the slow ass typing, and the bad fx. I somewhat miss the pads, I find the new mpcs to be less responsive than my upgraded sensor and fatpads on the 1k. Even with full sensitivity on

do you get double triggers when Full Sens is on? I get it like mad, so I gotta set it at a least 6ā€¦and am not a fan of slamming the pads.

I used the sampler less and less as time went on as other external and software samplers were more robust. Its was 90% sequencing.

Battery mod:
https://www.modularsound.io/

1 Like

i saw some replacement fat pads for mpc one over on mpcstuff, no idea if it makes it more responsive though.

2 Likes

I was sceptical of the touchscreen when it was announced, but when I eventually tried the One I became sold on it very quickly. There are occasional frustrations - the piano roll editing isnā€™t much fun, but youā€™re not forced to use it and the advantages elsewhere (e.g. in editing samples) more than compensate. Iā€™ve used various MPCs over the years and still own a 2KXL and JJOS 1K, and I wouldnā€™t hesitate to recommend that any MPC user try one of the new devices (I think the price of the One makes it the best option, if the hardware aspects of the Live arenā€™t vital to your setup).

4 Likes

Try syncing your OT and MPC to another Elektron (or other stable clock source) I noticed the MPC was pretty jittery and hits could be off by over 6ms compared to OT (less than 0.25ms) and master clock.

Not a dealbreaker for me, and there are workarounds, but unusable if wanting to sync a bunch of machines for a DJ style set (unless you want to sound like a bad DJ :laughing: ) or if wanting to capture accurate length samples using midi sync.

I just set tempo same on both devices and sample like that, note MPC internal clock is very tight, no jitter to speak of for internal samples, just the midi clock/tempo jitter.

I still think MPC One is probably by far the best value groovebox/production box currently available, even before 2.10.

5 Likes

I was similar to thisā€¦ also I think people need to remember that the ā€˜itā€™s a DAW/glorified iPadā€™ comments you see always come from people who donā€™t own/use them.

Iā€™ve found that the more Iā€™ve used the MPC, the better I get to know it, the more I like it and the less the touchscreen bothers me.

The only time I notice myself using it is when using the QWERTY for naming and piano scroll note selection.
Everything else feels straightforward, combo of shortcuts, screen tap selecting to use the main jog wheel and using Q-Links.

Something has clicked for me personally with the MPC since 2.10, Iā€™m really enjoying time spent on it and the results.

3 Likes

No double triggering issues for me. I had a live very briefly when they first came out and I got double triggers on that, had to adjust my technique to avoid it. I donā€™t really like slamming pads either. The pads respond fine but I just find the range of sensitivity to be awful. Itā€™s like it senses max velocity hits or mid velocity with not much variation. On my 1k I used to lock note repeat on and get really nice rolls putting pressure on the pad. Itā€™s not the same on the one. Thinking of adding a launchpad again, would be v nice

@richie mpc stuff was where I got my mods before, it was a whole sensor replacement plus pads. Fatties might still be nice though

@micabeza that is so sick. 1k+launchpad for me was peak sequencing. I loved that thing. Canā€™t believe I sold it. Bad times

Ya most likely bad technic on my part.

Nah bro Iā€™d say itā€™s on them, itā€™s not the first time Iā€™ve heard someone say it. Not sure if thereā€™s a difference on the new units/mk2s. Itā€™s not the worst thing in the world either way. iirc I just had to hit the pads with more of a push than a bounce

Interesting. I find I have to hit it with a bounce more than stab it. I tend to rest my finger, probably for and instant too long causing the pad to contact a second time durning my hit.

But when I hit it (not stab) it doesnā€™t register very hit, unless I really whack it. Yesterday I turned Sens to 1, to see if that helped, and while I was doing shit in Logic, the MPC just triggered a pad on its own hahaha. Fuuuuuu
And also found I still had to give it a decent hit or it missed some.

Same for me, on a Force but I keep changing the velocity / threshold settings. Lots of double triggers and especially with chords I have to properly press them. Midi keyboard is a lifesaver. For drums as well, slap the kick and the time it takes for my finger to swing is luckily corrected by the TCā€¦

I find the Force a bit trickier than the One, but I suppose thatā€™s to be expected. The main sticking point for me is synth tracks, where the pads are often unusable if aftertouch is programmed. Thatā€™s where an external keyboard becomes essential - I have the same problem with the Launchpad Pro. The pads on both are good fun with velocity assignments on the synths, though.

Iā€™m on the Force but due to lifestyle I miss the portability (well sofa-bility) of the Live.

Can anyone remind me how clip programs work on the Live?

3 Likes

Sofability ā€¦ you genius you thatā€™s a good one!

1 Like

But itā€™s true, from a sofability point of view the Live 1 or 2 are the best bang for your bucks, I canā€™t think of anything else that can help you do so much while pretending to half-watch a movie with your wife.

3 Likes

My wife already knows I tune out her movies. And she tunes out my horror/made for SYFY movies.
Really no need to pretend at this point.
(but really how many times can one watch Hamiltion or In the Heights? 13? She way above that)

1 Like

I just installed some. The response is definitely improved and they are much softer to hit.

which one do you have againā€¦sorry
Iā€™m debating it. but the Live 1 seems like a bit of a pain. did you stick the CORX in?

:grimacing:

manā€¦watching this vid againā€¦does NOT instill me with confidence. Id rather do it myself that let those guys handle it. yikes.