MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

On the topic of making global midi mappings available in standalone mode (eg to map the 16 QLinks to a midi controller etc), I’ve just discovered this. Haven’t tried it yet myself, but will do so tonight/tomorrow.

5 Likes

Not for me, but… Akai MPC Live II x Supreme, anyone?..

Ugly.
I’d only buy it to flip it for ££££

But I won’t be buying it. I escaped that consumer culture world years ago … stopped buying bape, supreme, ltd Nike releases. Bank balance is much better.

2 Likes

I’d get one if it was Powell :slight_smile:

[probably not]

1 Like

the 2nd best thing was that we only really needed 32mb of sample ram : )

1 Like

If Akai and Nintendo did a Famicom color scheme MPC Live my wallet would not be happy

3 Likes

This was posted in the deals thread but figured I’d post it here too. If anyone’s on the fence, this seems like a steal: 1450USD today only
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Daily-Pick.gc

3 Likes

I just got the Live II from Musician’s Friend at 15% off plus I had some rewards points to use to cover tax… I love it so much, more than any instrument I’ve used, sampling my gear feels so natural, everything just flows because I don’t need to go anywhere else to get what I need… No distractions, nothing but samples, VSTs, and my other outboard gear… I hope to get a decal color scheme soon.

I think I might get a turntable as well :smiley:

7 Likes

Is anyone using an iConnectivity MIO XL hooked up with their MPC’s for connecting midi gear as an alternative to using the onboard midi?

That thing is quite nice… I’ve been using a cheap MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru for a while. It’s provided as much as I’ve ever needed but I don’t have a room full of gear. Normally I max around 4 synths… For drum machines or samplers and such I usually daisy chain thru ports.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up.

I have heard sometimes these are new and they are just blowing out some stock. Anyone out there buy an MPC restock as a deal of the day in the past? I know they have done this with the MPC X at least a couple other times.

I have the smallest mio, with 4 midi din, it is one of the first models. One usb is connected to the imac, the other usb is connected with the MPC Live II, it works just fine. No issues at all.

2 Likes

I use one. It’s great. The live sees every midi channel no problem. I have several presets set up that I can access via the front panel.

One lets me use the mpc as clock source for when I’m just using it as a dawless setup. When I want to record into ableton I have another preset that sends clock from my erm multiclock to keep everything nicely lined up to the grid.

I love that I can set up my master keyboard to automatically route midi to the octatrack auto channel using midi channel 1, the MPC on channel 2, and both together on channel 3. I can sequence external midi using the octatrack and the mpc at the same time if I want.

Note the mio xl only has one usb-daw port, so it can’t be connected via usb to pc and the mpc at the same time. I just used the pc connection to set up my presets, and it now stays hooked up to the mpc. (I decided to use my daw as a multitrack recorder and fx unit, leaving the sequencing to hardware)

Hope that helps :+1:

2 Likes

Hi thanks for the info I appreciate it.

I was thinking about wether to connect my 3x Feaderfoc modules EC4/PC4/UC4 to the usb on the iConnectivity MIO XL would this allow me to assign them to different synths in the software etc?
Also my hardware rack FX could be controlled this way also connected to midi din ? Seems to be lots of possibilities with this thing.

PS

I bought a brand new Yamaha 01V96i last Saturday haven’t used it yet but it has midi and also streams 16 channels of audio so I’m wondering if I should connect the midi from that to the MIO XL and then the USB audio to a spare usb on my Mac OR would I connect the mixer to the MIO XL and when I want to use the computer just use the MIO XL usb to daw ?

Mind is boggled lol

PS

Yes I want my MPCX to be master over everything… it has tons pf connections hence I thought I’d bought the MIO XL by mistake as the AKAI has lots of ins/outs/usb may be just easier to use the MIO XL tho

Just connect the faderfoxes via usb to the mio xl and then use the software to create a preset to route the midi to whichever device(s) you want.

Same for the fx units, hook them up and send clock/midi cc etc to them from wherever you want.

I’d connect the mixer usb out to the Mac to get the audio channels, and the midi to the mio.

Essentially, all of my midi gear goes into the mio. My multiclock enables me to send clock from my pc, while the mio itself is connected to the mpc for sequencing.

The mio is a great buy when you realise how flexible your setup is with it.

1 Like

I sold a few bits n picked up a live 2 the other day. First time workin in the akai workflow since the 90s.

I think I’m in love. what a nice place to spend time. I must say I really like the interface. screen is beautiful, great build, combo of touch UI n buttons & knobs is great.

Still figuring a few things out but already writing some pretty solid jungle.

Single cycle waveforms are a joy on it. with layers & polyphony I feel spoiled. using sswf for most of my synths on it.

tho I love my elektrons its a breath of fresh air having all that the mpc brings to the table.

working on much longer sequences n seeing full compositions coming together naturally feels liberating, whereas with my octatrack etc I find they’re much more suited to jamming small loops and fleshing em out on the fly.

both things are great, they’re just different.

really loving the live tho. it’s instantly become the centre of my studio :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Completely agree! Getting the X has been a revaluation for me. I hadn’t used the workflow before and grabbed the MPC Bible - its been awesome.

Still have the OT in my setup but the X has quickly become the hub of my studio.

5 Likes

deadly :slight_smile:

ive mostly been usin utube vids to learn all the bits. tubedigga etc.

Hi, so the MPC One & Live II both have ethernet ports. On the Akai Force’s page - scroll down to Downloads, there is an Akai Network MIDI driver for Windows & Mac. (I don’t see it on the MPC page).

Has anyone tested this driver on their One/Live II? For RTP MIDI?