MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

hoping there arent any significant artefacts, looking forward to testing the motherducker this weekend

1 Like

These new effects are way better than the stock Akai ones in mpc 2.2. Lo Fi is nice for bit crushing and adding a little character to your channels. I got to use the master buss compressor too. Neutral sounding but you can slam it too.

I will mess around with mother ducker this weekend .

1 Like

yes, lofi is dope! The rectifier is a cool parameter and using drastic rectifier settings in parallel (25-40% wet) can add texture to many things.

Im thinking of using the motherducker busses for managing global mix dynamics, bus 1 being highest priority and bus 8 being lowestā€¦ have all the tracks making way for the important stuff in the mix. Just a smidgeon of GR goes a long way :loopy:

1 Like

I feel your pain, but quick tip, use the select tool instead, draw around the note you want to delete, then press Shift and Cut.

7 Likes

Thanks for the tip, Iā€™ll give it a shot!

agreed! your list: automation & midi routing would make the Live my dream machine.

1 Like

Did you know you can stack the Mpc 3000 effect more than once? You want your kicks, snares, and claps to get violent? Double stack the Mpc 3000 effect. Someone was talking about it on the Mpc forums and I tried it. That is all

3 Likes

Anyone find a good way to get to an INIT patch on the new polysynth?

Hell yes! Thanks!

Just been playing with the new effects in-the-box. Yep - sounding very good!

Anyone got a favourite output / master-channel setup yet? Iā€™ve been playing with the param-EQ, then compressor, then maximiser. Iā€™m still attempting to get to grips with the gain-staging though. EQ has a level output control, but the compressor only has a gain make-up output. No reduction. Similar-ish with the maximiser.

Any thoughts and tips?

Insert effects in-the-box seem to be OK. Not tried the main software again yet.

Hi folks,

So, Iā€™m just reading through the MPC Live manual hereā€¦

Is it true that there are only 4 available velocity layers per pad? That seems crude to me. Is there no way to do velocity mapping with more resolution than that? I was hoping to make some finger-drumming kits from sounds made on the Tempest, but if I can only go 4 samples deep for each sound, Iā€™m afraid Iā€™d be sacrificing too much detail. Can anyone confirm this? Any advice? Iā€™m not familiar with the MPC workflow at all.

Cheers!

thatā€™s the MPC way, (unfortunately). Four layers per pad is what it is, be that a drum program or a keygroup. You could play with the LFO to introduce more expression/dynamics/randomness, but it will still be severely limited in terms of resolution/realism compared to a velocity-sensitive analog source or something like BFD3 or Superior Drummer 3. But then again, thatā€™s not really what it means to compete with :slight_smile:

Okay, thanks for the reply, much appreciatedā€¦ Cheers!

1 Like

???
so youā€™ve got this to play withā€¦
vel > sta
vel > atk
vel > env
vel > fil
vel > pit
vel > amp

1 Like

?

You mean because I wrote ā€œseverely limitedā€?

In terms of velocity layers, four is limited. Severely, when compared to eg BFD3.

If you want to make this about velocity-driven modulation then OK, but the post I responded to specifically asked about velocity layers.

no not at all. i just thought iā€™d add to the mod options etc.
i donā€™t really understand whatā€™s asked anyways. plenty of ways to add expression to anything being played with those options. without tho, velocity layer are more important.
analog drums recorded become digital anyways.

Have you utilized the button 16 levels using velocity?

I bought a stylus pen and it works great for me

1 Like

Well, a comb-filter plugin would be a great addition