MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I jus thought it was short for profession (relating to professional) … which invariably means you get paid at some point… (Even if you have an un pro attitude) : )

J - 25

2017-04-28 : Probable date for the first batch unless the production problem on hardware lead to a real delay for factory mass production… what we can find largely (rumours) on the WEB announcing a more probable date to JUNE… Also AKAI don’t reply or express themselves to that subject so there’s chance the rumours are founded otherwise something on twitter or Facebook to destroy that should be a communication action to deny and prevent pre-order withdrawals

When these were announced I thought cool but not for me. The more I read this post the more I want one!!!

2 Likes

Hopefully they show up pretty soon now… wanna know the OS/hardware is solid/no bugs before I cop one!

1 Like
1 Like

3 Likes

Regarding shipping date, thomann still states end of April for the Live and end of May for the X.

However, question: does anyone of you uses an MPC in combination with a multitracker (hardware)? Is this redundant or not? I personally own a Tascam DP-32 and I am fully aware of the fact that a multitracker and a MPC are made for different purposes. But the more looking at the MPC, the more I got the impression that the MPC could catch up most of the functionality of the DP. If you can live without the possibility of 32 single playback tracks and if you are not in need of 8 simultaneous record tracks…so what? The internal DP effects are more or less unsued as I use a Lexicon effect rack anyway. Even minor details like plug in/plug out cables at the backside of equipment is not an issue for me as I use a patchbay anyway (no laughing please :grin:). Comments are highly appreciated.

Some internet humor for yall while we wait for these to ship (from MPCforums)

10 Likes

Teenage Engineering made an mpc? :wink:

7 Likes

I do … and … as you assumed … for very different purpose :wink:

Unfortunately my Tascam DP32 has no midi-synch and as such, I use it only for recording tracks, which are played live or recorded on different channels similtaneously. I use it as a kind of sketchbook for getting an idea or a couple of ideas recorded quick and dirty and to come back to it later … with different gear. It’s also useful working with modular gear too … just noodling and recording of the session and decide later, what shall be done with the material.

My MPC 5K has 8 audio tracks, well, but I find it tedious to do sketchbook recording as described above. Song mode has to be used, HD-recording has to be engaged, tracks to be activated, it’s not very flexible for editing or playing back as we are used from the OT. It’s there and it’s useful sometimes, but it depends on what it is supposed to do in a particular situation. Sampling, chopping, mangling, performing, midi-recording and playback are the strengh of a MPC but not recording long tracks and audio track editing … and … the RAM of my old MPC is limited. Maybe that the new MPCs are different there, but AFAIK Akai told us, that they will keep the “workflow”. We will see :wink:

Works for me! I’d like to be able and focus in that manner to make a song SO unappealing(like that track, or most likely much much worse)

I just wonder how much of that track was put together in the live(specifically sound design wise) I’m expecting not much

Beautiful

the new demos look good and seems powerful , i’m just a little suspicious about the actual power of the stand alone box , once its playing lots of samples , fx etc , is it going to keep rock solid timing ?

1 Like

Yeah, potentially a TON of simultaneous voices/tracks/fx/automation/timestreching… Someone did the math earlier in the thread for the potential amount of fx instances… It was a lot.

Wonder if it can deal with being maxed out? And if not, how much ‘can’ it handle/how badly does it flake out…

i will try MPC Live 1-2 months if I enjoy I keep it otherwise I come back to TORAIZ (if 1.4 and 1.5 announced to solved what I have in mind) or Octatrack or Something new from Elektron

This is spot on.

I love my toraiz I hadnt realise a 1.5 was announced. Im looking forward to the real time looper functions in 1.4 though.

As I’m a fingerdrummer the main area MPC live wins over toraiz is pad velocity mapped to filter cutoff and 4 way sample layering per pad which helps make my playing come more alive and sound design more interesting.

2 Likes

For this, I am really looking forward to having 100% round robin capability in all my drumkits with the live :thup: Just gotta remake all my programs as keygroup programs, a bit of work but surely worth it.

2 Likes

It hasn’t yet…Pioneer had mentioned that any extra info on the spring update will be confirmed at a later date.
So anytime now and I’m interested in what will be added.
Love mine too…Really is a great piece of gear albeit expensive.
Very interested in the MPC live though.

Yes i expect Pioneer to announced the Road Map between May and August… That’s why I said it’s depend on that announcement and what I think about the MPC Live after 1-2 month of use. (regarding what I said)

1 Like