MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I agree. I do think a lot of it is talk from folks who will rarely use it standalone (ie. me!) but it’s nice to have the option. It’s sort of similar to laptops - I bought a nice new Dell XPS that has good battery life, is light, etc, etc. IT spends 99% of its time hooked to a power supply, monitor and USB hub! That is probably an increasingly common scenario.

I’m sure MPC Live/X will sell well and a few competitors will come to the table and imitate but it feels like it’d be a big gamble for an NI or Ableton. And back to my original point, it doesnt feel like it is in the ethos of Push/Maschine in any case. Just my personal take though! I still want a Live in any case!!!

Not sure I agree. I think, besides the portability for sofa jams etc, you’ll see a ton of these standalone at shows. Sooooo practical in terms of bringing a studio track out to stage/rehearsal without a computer. Zero ballache (hopefully…).

And ableton must be aware that a ton of people using ableton in studio don’t take out their laptops and instead they bounce ableton stems/loops/backing tracks to other hardware for shows. Push units would be EVERYWHERE if they were standalone. From a marketing point of view that must be pretty attractive… They’d sell tons of standalone Push units and subsequently probably get a ton of new Ableton users too… I love the ableton sampler + push2 combo. Super fast/functional.

Yeah a few people will buy Mpc Live and never use the standalone/portability but I’d say for a huge majority of users it’ll be a big part of what they do with it?

5 Likes

Absolutely. I hate using DAWs personally, feels like work :diddly: :diddly: :diddly:

2 Likes

Most musicians are hobbyists and never do shows, but I have no prroof of that assumption. I just assume that those who do shows are far less in number than the home hobbyist.

1 Like

That’s probably true, but I’d guess most people spending £800+ on hardware units are working musicians and not only jamming in their bedroom (nothing wrong with that at all, just saying)? I think most ‘hobbyists’ just jam on relatively cheap gear/cracked software? Total guess tho…

Edit - by ‘working musicians’ I don’t necessarily mean earning a living from it. I just mean playing shows/jamming with other people/producing tracks in multiple locations (even if that’s only in multiple bedrooms :wink: etc…

Yer its interesting to think about, how much hobbyist musicians spend vs professional musicians and all those in between.
And what are the ratio numbers for the various user profiles.

1 Like

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing after I posted :slight_smile:

1 Like

Time will tell! I don’t doubt we’ll see at least one other player in the “standalone” game though, it just feels like a massive gamble - even for Akai (these things could still turn out to be shite after all).

I actually prefer using a DRAW in any case. It’s actually very difficult to be subjective in this space as we all have our own preferences and ways of working.

Ps - plenty of hobbyists on “pro” gear! :grin:

2 Likes

Interesting question …

I know some highly talented musicians working hard to make their living, but I wouldn’t call them wealthy money-wise. If they want to have a family, kids, a home, you name it, how much budget would be available to spend on expensive gear.

On the other side take an engineer, who is a musician at the bottom of his hart, making good money enough to invest in his or her “hobby”. I even believe, there might be a tendency that such guys might buy gear, because they want it rather to make a disciplined cost-benefit decision.

TBO … I am speculating :wink:

1 Like

Oh yeah for sure! :slight_smile: I’ve basically been a temporary hobbyist the past couple years after my 3rd kid was born. Ive bought more gear in that time than ever before!

Cool that in many cases people being so busy with work/family etc also equates to them being able to afford better gear :wink: And no reason that people not playing shows etc can’t make just as good music as those that do. Still totally worthwhile just a different set of priorities with spare time etc.

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s always that :confused: Wonder what v2 beta iteration their on atm?

1 Like

There is an advantage to it … the more products are sold the cheaper they can be produced :wink:

2 Likes

Very true. A long-time friend of mine, working as an engineer, is a pro-hobbyist, if it comes down to photography. If you see, what he is getting out of his photo sessions … wow … and if you see what equipment he’s using … WOW … and if he explains his equipment and why he is using it WWOOWW :wink:

1 Like

I disagree 100% on this. For me the draw is to start tracks standalone, get them as far as I possibly can on the MPC before getting it itb for fine tuning and mixing. That’s what I do with the MPC 1000, except now when I get a live I won’t need to track it out anymore! Just transfer to the computer, open in the software and import to live, to add anything else, and track out my analog 4! Voila makes my life a lot easier than tracking out 6 track at a time.

3 Likes

Apparently someone is DJint with 2x MPC Live:
https://scontent-otp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17621663_1675581182746656_2369780911174308140_o.jpg?oh=4a8374f20e4aa41832457d5968dac406&oe=595BDA93

From Facebook’s Live fan page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AkaiMPCLive/

2 Likes

probably to get 16 tracks audio… but doubt is a dj who place his mixer on the extreme left and 2 MPC Live side by side for mixing purpose :wink:

We don’t know how they work. What if you need to stop the sound while they load samples to memory? You will need to stop it to load next track. Who knows. We will see. It’s interesting picture and i decide to share. Nothing new :frowning:

The left one have a sticker that says MPC on it and something with small font that i cant read. Maybe it’s pre production version. The right one maybe the production version.

1 Like

Can anyone make out which contoller is connected? Top left corner in the pic…

But yeah, I can totally see how playing NI stems files (transcoded to wav) with two MPC lives might be kickass. #futureofdjing . However, for me there would have to be a “repitch” warp mode onboard, not feeling the timestretch… Or dunno, guess we’ll know how the timestretch sounds soon enough.

Looks like this is the one:

Andy from Akai said that they give the MPCs to a lot of ppl to try them out. My guess is that they are preparing videos of different genres that will be shown when they release the new mpc line. Ofc that videos will be sponsored by Akai and we will have to wait for the real reviews/demos.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

The only way for Ableton/Native instr. not gamble with this is to port their soft to a standalone Push/Maschine. That way can compete in fair terms…Elektron need to up their game…