MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Used market doesn’t give the full picture.

You can see loads of Digitakts (not easy to use) and even Novation Circuits( too easy to use).

And then you are price cuts on stuff like Machine +. Which means it ain’t hitting sales targets at all.

MPC one? Price went up showing demand.

My take (also posted as a comment on his video):

As someone who has gone through a LOT of hardware in the pursuit of the perfect all-in-one dawless groovebox, I absolutely love the MPC One. I 100% agree with him about the lack of battery and angled surface being obvious design flaws and it would have been lovely to be able to not have to bring the power cord with you all the time.

That said, I think he didn’t spend enough time with either the MPC One or MPC Beats to truly appreciate the difference in workflow speed between the two. It’s literally night and day. No, those Ctrl+2 shortcuts on the keyboard aren’t even close because the rest of it is completely off. You are required to scroll and click all the time on the computer software. Here are some examples of how fast the MPC One is:

• Hit Dub Record while playing a sequence and you can jam things in live, with velocity sensitivity and even aftertouch. The pads are surprisingly playable on any type of instrument sound (guitar, strings, piano, drums, etc).
  • While a sequence is playing, hold Erase and press down on a pad you want to remove and it will remove the hits on that pad while you hold it down.
  • Switch back between Main and Program Edit and it will remember where you were, which preference was focused. This means you can quickly tweak a sound parameter, go into Main to change the sequence or start point of a sequence to zoom in on the area you want to “fix”, and then go back to editing the parameter, all without even touching the mouse. Anyone who is used to keyboard shortcuts vs mouse gestures will know how much of a difference this makes.
  • Hold Main and press a pad to select a track/program.
  • Double press on Note Repeat to turn on/off the (excellent) arp.
  • Tap a synth parameter and twist the main knob with the other hand - it’s so much quicker and more precise than doing the equivalent with the mouse. Try to micro edit the faders in the mixer on MPC Beats, it’s next to impossible!
  • Hold down Shift and you immediately see if the Automation button is yellow (off) or red (on). Tap it to toggle. No need for the touch screen or a mouse.
  • Configure the q-links to be Project wide for some amazing live performance jamming with your favorite parameters for that particular project.
  • Double tap Main to get into the sequencer, hit a pad corresponding to a note you want to tweak, and twist the main knob to nudge the notes, or edit their length, transposition, etc.

With all this said, I agree the UX isn’t perfect and there’s a lot of QOL fixes I’d like to see, such as the ability to copy/move projects, reorder tracks and sequences, configure the mostly useless + and - buttons into something better, like Mute/Solo, or Prev/Next Track, or maybe octave up/down.

When I use it in controller mode, I gravitate to the keyboard for actions like deleting notes with Backspace, or nudging/transposing notes with the arrow keys, and I use the mouse to Mute/Solo tracks from the mixer window rather than having to jump between Program Edit and Main to audition sound design tweaks. Those are obvious things missing on the MPC One itself that would be nice if they added, especially Select All and Delete.

But even with its design flaws, it’s easily the most productive, tactile DAW replacement out there today. In my opinion! :wink::notes:

5 Likes

I really like Michael but his argument falls flat for me because I simply don’t want to use a laptop or othe computer. I spend all day with a QWERTY keyboard and mouse or trackpad and that’s basically why I haven’t used Ableton since last year (despite having invested a Push 2, a boatload of VSTs and stack of M4L devices - all of which I think are fantastic).

The lack of angled screen is a bit crap but I’ve no shortage of laptop stands that can rectify that for me. No battery? No problem. MyVolts Ripcord and the hefty powerbank I use for iOS devices

3 Likes

What’s a good recommendation there btw? I read somewhere that there was an Ikea tablet stand that fit perfectly, but I’m not sure they sell it anymore. Any other inexpensive matches for the MPC One?

1 Like

Ikea Bräda is a good one. I’ve got a bunch of them in black. There’s a smaller one too that I can’t remember the name of (but only comes in bright colours).

2 Likes

It’s 42 cm wide though, and the MPC One is just 27 cm. I’d love something that isn’t increasing the desk space more than necessary because I’m fitting my Hydrasynth Explorer and laptop next to it.

Something else I’ve found a bit peculiar is that the MPC One is significantly cheaper in Europe compared to the US. For the longest time, I saved a lot on buying gear while traveling for work to the US, but now the tides have changed.

An MPC One is 899 USD before state tax in the US, but it’s just 699 USD in EU, including VAT! Even the Retro Edition can be found for just around 20 USD more.

I hear you. I find they work great with laptops and tabletop synths/modules but obviously not so good with keyboard instruments. I have a row of them set up with a bunch of gear set on an angle, with a KeyStep 37 in front as the master controller.

1 Like

What’s wrong with my fingers?! :stuck_out_tongue:

Same here!

2 Likes

I didn’t make the comment but as a personal rule I do not watch videos with click bait tiltes.
But I watched in the past a different video from the same guy and his answer was simply that I could replace the sp-404 with Koala which totally missed the point of why I hardware.

2 Likes

I use the most generic engineer’s pen that I got from a HVAC store as a business gift. It has a pretty beefy tip which is almost too big, but still, works fine. However, I recommend getting one with a smaller tip and possibly a thinner stem in general :joy:

1 Like

These are great!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HH4K02O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_61WDV4302YVNSCYNZ5JC?psc=1

I’ve got one under a sp404mk2 at the moment, they’re great on Digitakt size boxes, used two with a Live 2 and a Push2

The IKEA ones are pretty flimsy and bend and bounce - so not great for any finger drumming etc

Edit, this is the one I use (just realised there’s two versions on the Amazon link, sorry)

2 Likes

Thanks, that looks like a good option, but I’d love to have it at an even steeper angle, personally. More like how the screen is tilted on a laptop, or close to it.

I like this one:

Laptop Stand Holder,Klearlook… https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089YQ96TN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I’ve used it for laptop and Push 2, too and it works really nicely, plus it folds down to a really compact size so it’s easy to throw into a bag.

2 Likes

Ikea also do a mini-Brada which is 25cm wide.

1 Like

That looks really nice, thank you!

1 Like

Cool video here where he uses his own vocals to make a lush sounding pad with granulator and a bunch of other plugins.

2 Likes

Exactly!

So many on these and else where on the internet seem to forget.

MPC has and will continue to have a userbase that needs it to do some very specific things. For that, it is unmatched.

It’s amazing how every generation keeps getting more features and better.

1 Like

10000 posts!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 2).