MPC ONE and Digitone?

Just got my Digitone Keys and loving it. I am thinking of swapping my Digitakt for the MPC ONE. I like the DT, but really want stereo sampling and am curious about the MPC format.
Any opinions / advice from users of this combination?

I’m about to find out as I was a former owner of the DT/DN duo, but sold the digitakt a little over a month ago and ordered an MPC one. The MPC still hasn’t arrived but should do any day now.
I found the digitakt fun and quick but with too many limitations and I only made little loops. I thought I might regret selling the DT but I’m relieved it’s gone. The digitone on the other hand shall go to the grave with me.

1 Like

Hi digipete!

Hoe do u like it? I’ve got DN and DT and in the same situation. Mpc one looks perfect since I want to sample more and have a song mode / pads.

Hey, I sold it too unfortunately, just recently. My experience is probably similar to others but I’ll explain best I can.
The MPC is very powerful and can do so much. The pads are nice and playable. The new drum synth sound good to me. Adding fx to audio in was welcome. Very good at controling other synths.
The fx isn’t that great tho if you tweak it enough maybe it could be.
The real issue for me is the layout of everything, it felt very disjointed, inconsistent and unintuitive. This might be because it has so many features, so of course there is a lot to learn but I think it’s more due to poor design.
It might sound like I dislike it but actually quite the opposite. I sold it as I just ended up on the pc and was making things more complicated than they need to be. The digitone remains as it’s so much fun making sounds, and the sequencer is a blast plus overbridge makes it very easy to link. I missed having pads so brought a maschine mikro just for that. The pads feel even better and UI is much better. Sometimes I miss the digitakt but it’d probably just gather dust now.

1 Like

Thanks man. What do you use now for sampling/drums?

Nvm I see it’s the mikro! Cool tnx

I currently use the MPC Live, with the Digitone among others. I would consider its sampling and sample editing capabilities absolutely top notch. It’s the best I’ve ever seen in a hardware sampler in terms of usability on that level of complexity. Yet, this machine can do a way lot more than sampling. I find the price of the MPC One ridiculously cheap.

As a former MPC Live owner, I can highly recommend that particular line of products if the feature set and all-in-one depth are more to your needs. The Live was a great box, and I’m sure the One is in a similar space.

Personally, I ended up doing the opposite. At one point I had the Digitone and the MPC Live, but wanted to get away from the “daw in a box” thing, and I also found that a dependency on layered loops was taking me away from a more raw musical sound that I wanted.

So after a certain period of doing hardware music and live shows with JUST the Digitone and a Circuit Mono Station (no samples at ALL), I decided I wanted to get sample-based drums, etc back in to my setup, but the MPC Live didn’t seem right for what I wanted to do anymore.

So I ordered a Digitakt to keep the Elektron vibe going, and on the day I received it, I decided immediately that it WAS the droid I was looking for and sold the MPC.

I’m probably a very unusual case though.

1 Like

I use the Digitone + MPC One, and are quiete pleased with it - with the Octatrack i always had the feeling that i compromise sound quality (yes 24 bit was turned on) - I dont have that feeling here - i still sample mostly mono as its better to mix. For my taste i like the electron fx more than the internal ones, but that is not so important - i try to record /sample as dry as possible.
If i want to polish i can export to .als and do it in Abelton.
Also i did run out of tracks, and then i had to keep track which sample chain i was using for my drums.

Where the OT helps, is in that area - to not use too many tracks at once - it helps to stay focused on what you are actually doing - making interesting changes to you loops.

I like that i can convert several sequences into one, solves that issue i had with NI Maschine - i.e. doing longer automation with it. So far its the best sampler i tried out - i should have probably got the force for the more pads on it - but the mpc one has less space requirements - which is a plus if your synth department is already too big.

Also i can record now my twiddeling without a hassle and can redo it if i want and it can move the edit loop very easy so you dont always have to hear the full sequence to edit it.

My setup is also DN and MPC One, and it’s pretty cool thus far. The potential is mind boggling with such a small footprint