MPC Live sending MIDI clock in double time. Help!

Hi everybody

I’m trying to run MPC Live synced via midi with Elektron’s Octatrack and Digitone.

When the MPC Live (midi out 1) send midi clock to Octatrack (midi in) and MPC Live (midi out 2) send midi clock to Digitone (midi in), the bpm double and always change -1, 0. For ex MPC Live at 120 Bpm, the others will be 240bpm, 239bpm…
The Octatrack and the Digitone is not connected at all.

If i do this connection: Octatrack (midi out) > Digitone (midi in) and Digitone (midi out) > MPC Live (midi In), everything seem’s to be ok. If MPC Live receive’s midi clock, it seem’s ok.

Hope you can help me out

sounds like a midi clock loop, somewhere in your set up you’ve got it configured wrong and its getting its clock from two places. have you got anything plugged into your MPCs midi in? or maybe its receiving midi over USB?

Yeah, what needs to be connected to what here?

If all you need from MIDI in this scenario is to send MIDI clock and no data, the most elegant way to do this is to send MIDI from MPC MIDI out 1 to the OT or the DN, and then send the MIDI clock to the remaining machine from the MIDI thru port OT or DN.

example (connecting to OT first)
MPC -> OT MIDI IN -> OT MIDI THRU -> DN MIDI IN

IME you want to not use both MPC MIDI ports for sending MIDI clock if at all possible. MIDI clock is still a bit of a hit and miss on the MPC live unfortunately… Thankfully recent OS updates have improved this to a ”usable level”, but I still read comments from users saying its not all that tight.

No usb connection. Simply MPC Live midi out 1 send midi clock to Octatrack (midi in) and MPC Live midi out 2 send midi clock to Digitone (midi in).

don’t know why but i’ve tried this one and doesn’t work for me: MPC MIDI OUT -> OT MIDI IN -> OT MIDI THRU -> DN MIDI IN

and you have double checked that both elektrons receive clock and transport (dn receive only clock due to simplified settings)

Thinking about this, I just tried slaving my elektrons to my MPC via this method and I can verify it working jus fine as long as configs are correct. This actually lead me to a new workflow with the trinity which just might become a godsend, thanks for the idea!

I´m midi-syncing my rytm and a4 without any problems (MPC Midi Out A: A4 Midi in, MPC Midi Out B: Rytm Midi in).

I haven´t updated my MPC Live to 2.2., which software version do you run?

What happens when you only connect one Elektron box? OT or Digotone.

Installed the latest version droppes by akai today, the 2.2.1

Also i think i’ve found the problem. I’ve redone the midi connections and is the MPC LIVE mid port 1 that sends the midi clock at double bpm. The MPC Live midi port 2 sends the midi clock at the ‘’normal’’ bpm or speed. It only flutuates some decimals

I dont know if this is something normal

I’ve contacted akai support and they asked some videos. I’ve shooted 3 videos (3 different scenarios) trying to explain the situation but they refuse to accept the problematic MIDI connection on MPC Live.

In the 1st video/ scenario
The MPC LIVE send MIDI Clock from the MIDI port A (MIDI Out) to Elektron Octatrack (MIDI In) and the MPC Live send MIDI Clock from the MIDI port B (MIDI Out) to Elektron Digitone (MIDI In).

The MPC Live is at 120bpm, the Octatrack, that receive MIDI Clock from the MIDI port A of the MPC Live, is at 240bpm and the Digitone that receive MIDI Clock from the MIDI port B of the MPC Live is at 120bpm.

In the 2nd video / scenario

The MPC LIVE send MIDI Clock from the MIDI port A (MIDI Out) to Octatrack (MIDI In) and the Octatrack send the MIDI Clock (MIDI Out) to Elektron Digitone (MIDI In).

In this scenario, the MPC Live is at 120bpm, the Octatrack, that receive MIDI Clock from the MIDI port A from the MPC Live, is at 240bpm and the Digitone that receive MIDI Clock from the Octatrack is also at 240bpm.

In the 3rd video / scenario

The MPC LIVE send MIDI Clock from the MIDI port B (MIDI Out) to Octatrack (MIDI In) and the Octatrack send the MIDI Clock (MIDI Out) to Digitone (MIDI In).

In this scenario, the MPC Live is at 120bpm, the Octatrack, that receive MIDI Clock from the MIDI port B from the MPC Live, is at 120bpm and the Digitone that receive MIDI Clock from the Octatrack 120bpm.

The strange thing is that i have 2 MIDI results with the same config when i use the MPC Live MiIDI Out port A or MIDI Out port B.

Oof you’ve still got this problem 4 months on? That sucks man, it’s almost two AM so I don’t have the head on right now to visualise your explanation but hopefully someone can jump in and help you sort things out

Here are some videos to understand better the ptoblem

1st VIDEO / SCENARIO

=====================================================================

2nd VIDEO / SCENARIO

=====================================================================

3rd VIDEO / SCENARIO

have you tried midi thru box? should be easy to get and quite cheap. i use it with mpclive as master and a4/rytm as slaves, no troubles with bpm at all

Hi all. After some exchanges with akai, they asked me to send back the MPC to the store where i had bought it. After 3 weeks, my MPC was sent me to my home working as normal with the problem solved.

Something in french like:

Diagnostic-Réparation
REMPLACEMENT CARTE CARRIER

Pièces: WRAP AL9-79-075202 - Carte Gauche MPC LIVE