MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

ya you guys might be right. the X does have a button for it… live doesn’t

More song mode confusion -

On the computer mpc software is there a standard arrangement view? Or is it a case of structuring sequences?

Just trying to imagine how this would work if for example you had a computer session for a 6 minute song. 2 tracks are vst synth and a vocal. You need to bounce those down to work standalone away from studio, cos they both have vst. Both those tracks run the full 6 minutes of the song. Are they ‘tracks’? Or sequences?
Like without a linear timeline arrangement view, how are you meant to work on different sections of the 6 minute song after bouncing full length parts? Like if you’re working on a drum sequence for say the 2minute mark, how would you work on that section and have the bounced audio tracks be in correct position and playing etc? Would you need to scroll down your song mode rows til you find the right place in song? Seems like a pretty clunky way to work like this?

For some reason I’m struggling to fully grasp the mpc song mode workflow. Some things point to it being like the OT song mode, others point to it being like a standard daw arrangement view. Can’t get my head around it so far…

1 Like

Yeah, and we also need automation for a song mode…

It would be strange, if there was no song-mode in the new stand-alone MPCs. Even the MPC 500, the smallest of the out-dated stand-alone units has got song-mode.

On my MPC I can have per project 20 songs, which are a kind of a list of sequences. Each list is made of steps (up to 250) and each step accepts as input a sequence, how often the sequence shall be repeated, and even the tempo of the sequence can be (re)defined. The editing is quite basic. We can write, insert, or delete steps, but that’s enough to create a complex song-structure. And there is the option to convert a song into a sequence, which is a nice handy feature :wink:

If it’s true that the new MPCs will load “old-programs”, the song-mode could not only be implemented as the old and basic mode, but should be improved too :wink:

3 Likes

Hah yeah!
I never thought of using it like that, will be a nice flexible set up, powerful little combo, especially added to audio recording and sampling shenanigans.
I have so much love for the ND2!

3 Likes

I have seen a video showing the song mode, similar to Octatracks aranger, I just cant write songs with it . Its a shame there isnt a daw like song aranger. Its the main thing I miss since working otb for so long now. But other than that this thing looks too good to be true. I recon theres going to be alot of Octatracks on the second hand market soon, mine almost was if only the live had a song mode.

You cannot convert a song into a pattern in OT, unlike on the MPC. Converting a song into a sequence will enable almost DAW-like editing, since the entirety of the song becomes a long editable pattern. Only thing you will not get is the ability to visualize the “lego blocks” of all the tracks simultaneously (only one track at a time).

1 Like

I was just wondering. With the USB port on the units, if you could use that to plug in an interface and record separate tracks in simultaneously.

I know most likely not. But it’s pretty much a computer, so theoretically I can’t see why you wouldn’t be able to…

1 Like

Yeah probably unlikely but something like Roland’s duocapture is class compliant isn’t it? Its plug and play with an iPad so you never know!

3 Likes

^ painful waiting game now… my minds telling me to wait till there in the wild being put through there paces but my hearts pushing me closer to pre ordering… a supplier said end of April yesterday, seems harsh.

That pretty much ties with the delivery dates in most stores, I guess shipping from China to US/EU then distribute to stores means April…

I’m guessing if you preorder now, you will get it in April. But I’m naively holding out hope that early preorders ship earlier than that :nyan:

Same here, that’s why I pre-ordered a while ago. WestendDj still displayes April 1st as ship date of the first UK stock…

GAK told me they had 10 on pre-order, but they may not get 10 allocated to them. So don’t assume stores will have pre-ordered loads or will get what they pre-ordered.

Exactly my experience with pre-ordered gear, which many people ordered. Sometimes there is an early shipment of two or three units only. One goes to display, two are send to pre-orders, the rest of us has to be patient :wink:

No haggling to be had on pre ordering either in my experience :slight_smile:

Can Get between 50 and a hundred off retail for this price bracket if you try and shop around using chat boxes most stores have…

Enough to make me wait anyway. Especially as my usual place doesn’t do pre order, they just mail you when it’s in stock.

This gives me (false) hope as I was the first to preorder from my retailer (according to their online availability info).

But actually with my finances still being in the red from Q4/2016, I would be better off if it shipped in April lol

1 Like

Fourth here :wink:

1 Like

New Akai MPC Live vid online :

5 Likes