MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I didn’t realize it could be done in program mode. I’ll definitely be exploring that! The MPC Live is such a deep instrument, I haven’t even got to time stretching yet, I use it as a midi sequencer and drum machine. The MPC can be much more than that, this box can be a loop mangler and audio recorder!

3 Likes

it’s a Linux ARM computer with a fancy MIDI controller wrapped around it. I wish Akai hadn’t cheaped out so much on the hardware SoC but oh well. Now they can sell us a more powerful one later, I guess :woman_shrugging: But that’s probably why real-time warp is so bad, offline is better. It’s something like a quad core 1.8GHz ARM CPU with 2GB of RAM running an embedded Linux OS. From the article I read, the 16GB onboard storage, 10GB of which is taken up by The Vault 2.0, is on a 16GB micro sd card, so in theory it could be replaced if one was willing to take the thing apart to get to it.

https://niklasnisbeth.gitlab.io/mpc-internals/

Anyone using MPC Live / X with Bitwig? How are you integrating with your setup?

Really liking the Live since the latest update. Not just the CC and parameter automation, but the OS seems more solid

4 Likes

How long did it take you to feel good and grasp the MPC live workflow? There’s so much there that it’s overwhelming. Part of me is wanting to keep it cause it’s so powerful and the potential is massive, but I can’t seem to grasp it, there’s so much to remember.

How much experience do you have with this kind of gear though?

I mean, it only took me a couple weeks to get to grips with the MPC workflow, and most of that time was spent just getting to know Akai’s terminology and learning the basic road map: i.e. things like how Sample Edit and Program Edit correlate, what parameters are available in the various Views and Modes, the differences between Programs, the odd ambiguous icon, etc. Once I had that much in perspective, I was away to the races.

That said, my experience with this kind of tech is vast, so I know more or less what I might expect. On the other hand, if this is your first sampler/drum machine or your first foray into music tech, it would almost certainly be overwhelming.

Cheers!

4 Likes

updated to 2.6 and having an issue converting a song to a sequence. Despite selecting an empty sequence to write to , it leaves it unused and writes to the first sequence in song mode. Anyone else experiencing this issue? a new bug?

there’s mention of a song to seq bug on mpc-forums:

https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=190038

(halfway down 1st page of postings)

is it the same as you have?

1 Like

indeed, thanks for pointing it out. hopefully Akai will take note and fix it with the next update.

can the mpc live process live audio like how the Octatrack can using the inputs and applying FX etc?

The Octatrack’s effects are way better, workflow, immediacy also. And, with the MPC Live (I had one), I had the constant feeling that I am not working with a dedicated hardware, but on a (slow) linux machine. :frowning:

1 Like

I’d strongly disagree with this…Which OS version did you part with your Live?The AIR instruments in standalone are kicking OT’s arse big time!With the upcoming Disk Streaming and Midi Multi Mode this thing goes into legendary status and nobody can touch it…

3 Likes

Well yes of course sir!

1 Like

You should have a look at MPCTutor’s “MPC X & MPC Live Bible”. That book will guide you through the workflow and functionality of the MPC Live step by step in a meaningful and purposeful manner.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. I’m not a manual guy and find Akai’s writing even more difficult then most. Got the MPC Live Bible and helped immensely, easy to follow with hands on tutorials.

2 Likes

The AIR is the best effects I’ve used on any drum machine, sampler groovebox!!!

5 Likes

sure, but there will be latency, and there’s no time compensation :confused:

Me too! Air effects are very useful. Perhaps crypticresonance hasn’t used the newer OS versions, with Air!?

I think that, as often with these questions, it comes down to preference. I had the same opinion as crypticresonance when I first approached the MPC, mostly because I was coming from an Elektron-only setup and was used to that paradigm. It took me more than a year to accept that I had to sort of re-learn how to make music so I could dive into the MPC world taking full advantage of its strength, rather than trying to compare with my other gear or recreate what I do on other machines.
I’m now enjoying both and I personally don’t think it’s overlap.

2 Likes

Yes it’s true, I have used the latest firmware available at 2017 september, which is not now, probably there weren’t AIR effects in standalone yet. Anyhow, that wasn’t my only problem, but it’s subjective after all.