MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

4 Likes

Ok guys, here it isā€¦ The new 2.3 update has really made the Mpc the real dealā€¦ Well kind ofā€¦ My Mpc has grown up quite a bit with this update. But how could they forget side chain compression??? Iā€™m stupefied! Beware guys, Iā€™m not sure what these devs are doingā€¦

Why is sidechain such a big deal?
Does everyone try and sound like daft punk or something?
Itā€™s a mixing thing do it afterwards. Or do like most other groove boxes that claim hey do side chain and use an lfo

7 Likes

Have they implemented disk streaming yet? So far, this machine looks so much more useful to me than my Octatrack, especially with the addition of the arp and synths, plus the seemingly endless patterns (unless Iā€™m incorrect about that). I do occasionally use my OT as a DJ rig for playing long stereo files and Iā€™d love to be able to stream them from the SSD Iā€™d install instead of loading them into RAM.

Exactly. And cmon, making sidechain happen with the aid of an external compressor, not really that hard or even prohibitively expensive.

2 Likes

Or your computer or an iPad appā€¦

But Iā€™d still like a better reverb and clip mode.

1 Like

Some of you guys seem so eager to give up featuresā€¦ I guess everyoneā€™s differentā€¦

Not giving up features, I still want Akai to come through with multi timbral. Disk streaming would be cool but not a show stopper for me.
But clip mode? Couldnā€™t care less
Side chain? Pfft, I got amazing uad compressors.
Reverb? I have pedals and plugins that will always be better, donā€™t care.
At some point thereā€™s limits to all in one imo. I like the synths, but prefer my own synths, and like auto sample better than having built in synths.
Just me I guess.

3 Likes

Side chain has never been a feature, how are we giving up on anything?

2 Likes

^all of this!

some cool stuff in there thoughā€¦ split events is kinda cool. baffling though that you canā€™t access it from the pattern editor (in which youā€™d need to select the note to split)ā€¦ the user has to return to main view and go from there
arp not being available for drum tracks is an odd submission, no custom patterns it seemsā€¦ and overall, it seems a bit half assed on fist glance.
i guess marketing forced them to do something bold and adding synths certainly ticks that box - and mind youā€¦ the electro piano synth sounds pretty sweet to my ears. couldnā€™t care less about the VAā€™s but thatā€™s because i have way too many synths in the first place - so this is huge add on for any userā€¦
as long as theyā€™re not resting on their laurels now and the only purpose of this was so they can sell AIR instrument expansions now. certainly good to see that AKAI is still at it

1 Like

How much space it taken up by the sampling keygroup? Is there a maximum limit.

you can drive the length etcā€¦ you can even get settings that trigger RAM warningsā€¦ but with an empty project youā€™d be able to fill the entire ram with one program - but the user can define and cap it. have yet to do more than mere testing though

2 Likes

Cheers

Sidechain is a very reasonable request. The MPC has multiple compressors in it already and considering that fact it is strange that it wasnā€™t there from the beginning, as its a pretty common feature of software compressors.

nonetheless what a great update. The synths sound great and are very versatile. MPC live is definitely worth its bang-for-buck. Although the fact they did not fully flesh out the midi side of things is kind of annoying considering how powerful and robust the sequencer and song mode are.

2 Likes

This guy gets itā€¦

Sidechainā€™s pretty standard for house and techno these days. Akai appears to have the tech to do it. But until then, super fun box

1 Like

awā€™right - lets get sidechain AND multi timbral midi then - shallwe ?

2 Likes

So I am going to test sampling ez drummer to a key group program tomorrow, thatā€™s a work around for that.
And people on GS said they managed to load midi files as their own arp patterns. Donā€™t know how, not got that far into it.

1 Like

thatā€™s a good idea! lemme know who you goā€¦
curious about that pattern ā€˜hackā€™ now - it would be the closest replacement to OTā€™s ā€˜plays freeā€™ and that a huge thing for my workflow.