MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Let us know how you feel about the X when you’ve settled down with it! That X must be sweeeet

2 Likes

Had enough time to check my X in the studio today…really loving it sofar.

Build quality is really good regarding the casing (metal), knobs, pads and data dial.
Sometimes i get confused regarding the many buttons you can select from…but slowly this is growing on me.

Sound is also really crisp and clean with a quite hot output.

Still so much to find and try…only negative i can find at the moment is why it needed to take so long to release it in Europe.

Not dissapointed…!

2 Likes

this ‘warp’ function in clip program is shitty :confused:
setting main tempo to 127, loading 127 loop with ‘warp’ on, - sounds a bit off, like milliseconds slower or faster than it should be. with ‘warp’ off - it sounds ok.
kinda ruins all this realtime stretch purpose :frowning:
and it happens only with ‘mpc’ audio warp algo, if i choose other algorithm in preferences, it sounds ok. but i guess, there’s no elastique algo in standalone, right?

If you believe this to be a bug, send feedback to Akai please (the smiley icon in the MPC software)

yeah, i did that, hope they’ll do something

Just a lil heads up, if you’re wondering where is the definitive tutorials etc for live & X, well the wait is over:

out now

3 Likes

Had spotted this. Have you checked it out?

One thing I loved about Maschine when I got it was NIs excellent short tutorial videos. While they were free, if these MPC tutorials are similar then will be worth the money. I learned heaps through those NI vids.

So far Akai has failed quite badly at tutorials (or marketing support in general).

I checked the table of content and I guess I’ll be buying that tutorial later today, will report back around the weekend.

2 Likes

Agreed. Was quite surprised they didn’t follow the NI route (not that they have followed the initial Maschine tutorials for Jam and things mind you).

Actually quite surprised in general with the apathetic vibes from Akai on this one. Perhaps I’m not tuned in to their social media feeds but there does feel to be a sort of “it’s out the door, forget about it” vibe. It doesn’t bother me, my Live works grand, but you would’ve thought Akai would’ve ridden the crest of this wave for some time.

All I know is that MPCtutor (the author of this bible) has been an MPC instructor for a very long time and he really knows his stuff.

MacProVideo has a basic beginner video series on mpc live by booker edwards one of the beta testers and Logic Pro trainers. It is really good. The macProVideo also has the rytm and digitakt series too.

I’m doing the same with mpc live and rytm Mki.

Just seen a bit of info at the mpc forums about people starting to hack them. If that’s the case the live and x are in an infancy of what they will eventually be able to do. I never used the akai os much after I found the Jjos os systems, makes them a completely different beast. Used it on all the mpc I have owned over the years. This could bring a lot of the elektron functions over to them if they wanted, plus more. If anyone is the least bit interested keep a watch out for how this develops.

1 Like

Sorry to bust your bubble…but that video has nothing to do with hacking.
Just a mouse which is connected to the USB port.
Same can be done with a USB keyboard.

I see no hacking in that video…?

1 Like

Who on earth would fancy using a mouse with the live instead of the touch screen?

I wasn’t aware you could just hook up a mouse or a keyboard to the unit. Had me mad excited for a minute. We shall see, but if the jjos people get involved with the new Mpcs they will be over the top in my opinion.

That would be indeed something if he gets involved…:slight_smile:

I seriously doubt JJ will get down with the new MPCs. His earlier project was only possible because he had been working on the original OS for the 1k/2k5… He hasn’t been on board the Akai OS dev team in years.

Also, I’d wager the current MPCs use higher level programming code than the old MPCs, pretty sure you had to run very “close to the iron” with the old ones, therefore a different skillset is required wrt coding these things…

1 Like

Playing about with my Live and using the free Samples From Mars synth selection - got to say, the keygroups are sounding excellent in terms of scaling. Just wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for sample sources? I could always sample things myself (and I will) but they never sound as good!

I’m looking for synthy stuff really for tune building.

Ha, man, I can be a doughball sometimes. I thought the “MPC Bible” was short videos! Sure I saw them somewhere…

@Automageddon - did you get this in the end? Yesterday was pay day and wondering if it’s worth the plunge. I could do with some guidance on some of the features but wouldnt class myself as a beginner. Anything would be better than the manual though!