MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

This would be exceptionally cool if this turns out to be true in practice. I’m really interested to learn more about their software development process, for example if they’re building the MPC desktop app and the Live/X firmware from the same codebase.

1 Like

Wrong… also Workshop standalone :-))

among the many G.A.S. scenarios I’ve had (selling OT, keeping OT and buying Live, keeping OT, add Digitakt) I’m now contemplating the possibility of selling the OT, and getting both the Live and (later on) the DT… maybe I can have the Live for a more in-depth sequencing, and the DT for a more immediate, fun, audio-mangling, sample-creating experience. I really like the immediacy of Digitakt (sampling seems super straight forward, going through samples, the reverb, delay and distortion seem to be way richer than OT’s), like something I would need less “project preparation” in a jamming-with-friends/quick improvising scenario. argh, these damn beautiful machines!

1 Like

I sold the OT for the Live. Only had it for a day but very impressed so far. Finally a modern sampler that streams long audio and handles long midi files. UI experience feels solid. Sonically has some character but overall is transparent and sounds great.

Feels light years ahead of the OT. Even the Toriaz is very limited in comparison. Other manufacturers need to up their game & (you heard it here first) Make…Samplers…Great Again.

6 Likes

Nice to hear because i am planning to replace my Octatrack.
I used the Octatrack mostly for sequencing midi synth and backing tracks.

Preordered and paid in full for MPCX despite some reservations
Bottom line you can’t enough samplers
Now have MPC2500, MPC Touch, Pioneer Toraiz SP-16, Octatrak, Digitrak (Preorder in first batch) and Korg microSampler
(Previous owner of MPC60/SP1200/ Emulator III keyboards x 2)—all great but who needs the maintaince hassles
Pic of band practice room here

4 Likes

Depending on how you use an OT, then the Live could very well replace it I still dunno if the OT has a long term future with me but once I get on top of the Live, I’m quite excited about the thought of using the OT as a sort of audio mangler triggering one shots and stuff. Or even revisiting using single cycle waveforms and making a synth out of it. I don’t think I’d replace it with a DT personally. If I did let it go I’d rather pick up something completely different to pair with the Live.

I’m hoping I stick with things personally. Been chopping and changing too much this past 12-18 months and it’s stifled creativity. I’m quite excited by, and comfortable with, the Maschine environment so that will be a big home studio focus when in the zone but tonight, for example, on a scorching evening in Falkirk, Scotland (seriously - high 20’s here all evening, a true novelty) I was sat outside mucking about with clips and my own sequences and things. I have never managed that with anything over the years. Not even the OP-1 when I had it (just didn’t click with me). So, gonna focus with this for a while if I can. At least until Elektron announce their next “wee” box. If that turns out to be a Monomachine replacement or something then pairing that with the Live would be a dream!

1 Like

You first build the sequences and render that as a new, long sequence. then you add the long audio tracks to it.

I was hoping to do the opposite, first record a long drone of doom, then add elements…

1 Like

I do not know how to do that right now… If your drone uses instruments that you dont need to reuse, maybe you just keep it running until you’ve built your seq, ie monitoring only? Or then you record your drone, save it, and only put it into the timeline once the other stuff is done, monitoring only until you get there?

The problem in this case is that every sequence has its own audio track timeline… unless I have misunderstood how things work?

Hmm… how long would your drone be? If it would fit into your RAM, you could, after recording it, make a drum program out of it, set it to a playback mode that doesnt stop even if you release the pad, set it to loop. Then just make a track which has the program, and include that track in every other seq u doin… it should keep playing back even if you change the sequence, as long as you always copy a new seq from the previous one, and only then edit the stuff that needs changing. Does this make sense?

Works… set the seq to whatever (150 bars)… Record your drone… Then Play to it… if You dont like the Full sequence make a new seq of -Lets say 32 bars- and Place the drone there… You Can mone it around so You habe your favorite Part…
If You now just want to Record a 2 bar Loop to it, take a Track, set the length of the track(!) to 8 and habe fun :slight_smile:

(Sorry for Bad typing… Send by mobile )

2 Likes

Midi works…
But be careful with backing Tracks… the ot streams samples, so You Can use very Long samples… i opened a Record Recording of a whole 24 minutes and my mpc RAM was 80%full… really depends on the length of your backings and how Many stems You use. You might Need to load a new project After two or three songs… but loading is quick

2 Likes

Yes, you Are right… i just “feel” no latency, Even with using a Lot of tracks in mpc (which is a good thing :-))

1 Like

:-)) in a 2500 You just deal with 64 mb RAM. And simple efx… a Lot of Systems can deal with it and have good timing… so far the mpc live just plays what You Dial in… timing issues are a past thing of the late 90s… i think its more about the overall feeling when playing with Nice vintage stuff (i think mpc 60 users Said the Same about the 2500 :-))

All samplers are computers :-))… just depends on the workflow :-))

2 Likes

Asked Simon if they use the same codebase for the MPC softare. Here is his answer(probably yes?):

Its unified so one gets updated they all do
In that way its pretty cool as the units run the full 2.0 software
with only a couple of small differences

Basically we designed it so it can have constant updates and new features ect
Already got some very cool stuff on the way with the wifi and BT

1 Like

I had a couple of hours with it, maybe less and I’m only going through the tutorials on the manual, really digging it so far, I don’t understand the few complains about audio quality. The library is not to my taste, and frankly there’s too much stuff, but there’s plenty of good sounds.

Those pads are really nice, like really nice.

Effects are quite good so far, not outstanding but good.
I will have lots of fun with the tape delay, those feedback get really dirty.

Hopefully I’ll move on to sampling today…

3 Likes

On the subject of sample - are RCA inputs basically phono inputs? That may come across as an incredibly stupid question but I don’t want to overload/damage my Live! Basically I have an RCA to headphone jack cable and was planning on sampling from my phone and things. Once I get round to sampling that is…!

Finally Bax-shop in the Netherlands is shipping my unit.
They have some more units in stock a.t.m.

Price is 1199 however, glad i pre-ordered with a discount :happy:

4 Likes

I believe the RCA is just Phono input.

2 Likes