MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I think the thinking behind it is to prevent anyone tampering with the o/s deliberately or accidentally. Or maybe it’s part of the licensing agreement for the included content. No big deal either way though.

4 Likes

I prefer my MC-2500 for sequencer feel and have rolled back to MPC1.93/Touch
Im writing with 1.93 then exporting into 1000/2500 format
No spin in the world will convince me the MPC Live has better midi timing.
The MPC2500 runs on its custom OS . —Octatrak, SP-16 runs on its own custom OS
MPC Live/X runs on a commercial OS --there has to be some latency.
I predict that a well known artist will say something about the timing on the new MPCs too.

uhh… wow…
received my MPC two days ago… i thought its “just” cool… but it is truly amazing…
well, its a sampler so you just get out what you put in, but the performance is super fast… it really charms with the AR as companion… on the weekend i will try to find out what happens with my prophet coming into play…

so far:

• great performance, no latency, easy and quick access
  • as expected: genius pads… really love to play them
  • looper mode, clips and audiotracks made my live easier directly… easy to learn, absolutely charms my workflow
  • sequencer is hell good… recording 32 bars of clip performace, play programs on top in the second line and then use the looper on top to add synth or whatever in sync… wow… (still for short sequences the trigs in electron gear is genius in an other meaning,… love to have both :-))
  • EFX: better than i expected, though for mixing/sounddesign i will still use my thrid party plugs, AR/Syntsh, outboard gear and my Cubase DAW… but to have that much efx (per pad, per program, on each output… wow… really helps to get some good sound out of the box)… also i didnt realized ANY delay or latency… great
  • sampling capacity… ufff… all my libraries on it… even more than on my macbook… amazing…

i didnt even tried the 2.0 on my mac… center piece in the studio? YES, definetly…

so in short:
if you like playing pads to get your ideas and like sampling (also synths :-))… THIS IS A MUST HAVE
if you like programming, short sequences of 1 or 2 bars: OT or machine could be better for you…

so for the first time in years AKAI did it right… its worth every cent :-))

13 Likes

Isn’t there technically some latency in all of the early MPCs too? There has to be surely!

Hahahahahaa don’t let it get to you like this dude. Just forget about it, if it turns out you’re right then fair enough but it’s like you ‘want’ it to not work?You already said you hate the form factor. They can’t ‘update’ that so why even concern yourself with the product?

6 Likes

All digital systems have inherent latency. But so does everything else, as the speed of sound is what it is… Go to any festival/club/etc and you will experience ACOUSTIC latency :diddly:

I think being extremely fussy wrt latency is a big strange tbh

Besides, my MPC4000 destroys the 1k/2k5 in terms of clock stability. I still prefer the live right now.

4 Likes

Could very well be some kind of legal issue with the content providers.

But still, it can add redundancy/safety to your rig, as you can use it for backups etc

1 Like

Sorry what?

The Open Source Linux kernel and associated OSS projects used as the foundation of the software running on the MPC Live and MPC X is “commercial”, while device firmware build using entirely closed-source development toolchains on top of kernels and system libraries provided by the microcontroller vendor is somehow “not commercial”?

You really have no idea what words mean, do you? :wink:

Clock stability can be tested and the results I liked to can be replicated by anyone willing to do so. Just build the thing at https://midisizer.com/midigal/ (which is a noncommercial project where both the hardware and the software are entirely open) and run the firmware at https://midisizer.com/midigal/midiclk/

Please note that I don’t have any issue with anyone’s preferences. If you like your MPC2500 because it feels good to you, then that’s perfectly fine with me.

What I do have a problem with is the tendency of people like you to twist your preference into some kind of “scientifically objective” bullshit argument about technical details they have absolutely no knowledge about whatsoever.

You’re just confusing other people and making them feel bad about their preferences because you feel insecure about your own preferences.

That‘s not a nice thing to do and you might want to ask yourself why you feel the need to do that.

11 Likes

Hello t --I’m only asking a question as a potential buyer of MPCX and hoping for a technical answer about how the OS
(Open source) will add no layer of latency.
Remember this
Open Labs Open Synth Neko 64
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/open-labs-open-synth-neko-64
how is the MPC Live/X different to in concept to Open Labs Open Synth Neko 64?

Heh. Probably just Cenk or Simon trolling to make sure OT still gets some love!

Well, Jeff Mills dissed the Aira TR-8 when it came out, but I doubt it hurt the box’s sales as much as naysayers estimated. Use what works for you and all that.

And I bet the OT is still going to get love. The live cannot do the tricks it can and vice versa.

OS means Operation System☺

The difference between Open Labs and MPCs is that its $2,000 cheaper and no access to VSTs.

nice run down - could you tell us all about the sample synth mangling stuff

There’s time stretch right?

Timestrech only wokrs in computer mode, it is not in the box.

Yeah I would like to have the hands on internal memory, make my own template and primary stock sounds. it will be a waste of space to not be able to make my own of this space.

I experiencing more than once audio problems in standalone mode with audio tracks some noisy glitch like CPU overload but currently there isn’t CPU meter Overload showing that… so I don’t know (only on audio tracks). I need more time to give some pro and cons. But what I can say is if someone looking for something portable who can make everything don’t look further that’s the gear you need. And what I really like with this idea is when you want to take your work further you have plenty options. (options you may not have on other gear.)

Song mode work as elektron gear or every other song mode gear it’s a playlist of your sequence multiply by bars… Automations possibilities are very close to DAW (so it’s very cool)
Export mode are also very cool (a lot of options)

If you have in mind to buy a Laptop for whatever music you want to make, a dedicated machine, a better modern sampler like Surface book + Bitwig… and want to save money this the gear ! clearly.

Also Timing correction work very great, all your ideas is strictly capture when you REC and play as you have in mind anytime. Pay attention just to OVERDUB each time you want to record something new in the same program otherwise you delete what’s done (don’t worry anytime an UNDO fix the fear)

There’s too much Pros on this gear to be disappointed and at 999 euro it’s like oh yes I have bang for the bucks ! I can’t see how to claim the opposite. Except few little things, and they probably will be fixed no doubt because not so much to fix.

EDIT : I will forget something important you CAN EDIT your sample/recorded material in anyway you want and that’s so cool. You can say yeah man it’s a sampler ! yes but not every gear sold as sampler have full editing features. (so less work on the computer then)

4 Likes

Are you sure?

In standalone, realtime time stretch works for audio tracks and clip mode only. Offline time stretch works in sample edit. Apparently it’s coming later for drum programs.

2 Likes

Akai confirmed that they will enable Warp(real time time stretch) for drum programs(dunno about the instrument) in future update(soon). You can send feature suggestions using the computer software(suggest feature button). Apparently they are reading them.

Edit: The good thing about MPC software is it will be constantly updated. Other companies update the firmware a few times after release and move on to the next project. MPC software will be used in the next generation of MPCs so they will polish the hell out of it. Witch is nice for us users. :slight_smile:

Edit2: Dan said that the window for editing automation will probably be included in the next update(again - soon).

3 Likes

I received mine but won’t be able to turn it on until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest, so I’m going through the manual.

One question I can’t find an answer for, how do I use multiple sequences with drum parts and/or melodic with a long audio track?

Timestretch is only for Clips and audiotracks… for the normal pad Mode its a Classic Sampler… Thats Fine for me :-))

Sampling the Prophet is now my Weekend Trip :-)) keep You updated :slight_smile: