MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

The immediate price hike is going to put a lot of second round buyers off.
The large iPad controller enclosure with limited IO quality of the Live challenges the value proposition.
I don’t buy the MPC legacy magic argument either - the new UI with touchscreen has little to do with older MPCs. It is more of a laptop hybrid drumpad daw on a mini screen.
Digitakt/OP-1 remains more interesting unless you already have an OT/RYTM or dare I say it volca or circuit.

There is plenty of MPC legacy onboard IMO. Most of my belowed workflows are there, and the same architechtural paradigms are there.

And what do you mean by “limited io quality”? Compared to what, Digitakt? With it’s two outputs and single MIDI IN/OUT?

Look, if you’re saying “the MPC live is not for me”, fair enough… but I dont really agree with your assesments otherwise. I have an iPad and the live is alot more fun to use IMO.

3 Likes

ahhh wonderful concept 24 hour computer shops. Im dreamin.

1 Like

Wonderful to some, nightmare to others. I heard that it’s quite common for people to get drunk and buy something they later regret…

2 Likes

‘sorry kids, that trip to the amusement park’s not gonna happen today… Daddy bought ANOTHER ipad at 2am on his way home from the club because he liked the colour’…

5 Likes

The MPX and Live both have the same soundcard and it is improved from the touch. I had a this concern myself initially.

1 Like

My new portable battery powered setup (minus minirig sub) is finally ready! Pringles karaoke mic is a bit tricky since it outputs stereo minijack (line level), but one adapter plus one cable fixes it. I can spam the mic and the turntable with fx, resample em, loop em etc.

Gotta start making new material then I suppose :diddly:

10 Likes

Where did you hear that from? One of the beta testers said the converters on the X are different from the Live

1 Like

Just different preamps I think? Mic preamps on the X…

1 Like

Really enjoying the Live. I’m pretty much an MPC noob (didnt spend the time to learn the 2500 I had :disappointed: ) so this is all pretty new getting head around the structure and things. But once I got going I was having a blast. Definitely going to spend time with tutorials and things. Not even tried sampling or my own samples yet - still mucking about with the included content. Most of what I’ve browsed it isn’t really my cup of tea in terms of genre but I had a lot of fun chucking together a really shitty 4 to the floor two sequence thing and farting about with the X/Y pad.

And one thing I’ll say, after never really enjoying playing samples chromatically on the OT at all, it really seems to work on the Live. I was turning bass synths into chords and all sorts. Stuff that wouldn’t amaze anyone with any sort of MPC background but for me who really only has the OT to gauge samplers against I think it sounds pretty good.

In terms of “sound” - doesn’t sound bad to me but then I probably have early onset tinnitus and still haven’t gotten round to sorting my home space with monitors! So don’t trust me!

7 Likes

Been using the live for the third day today. Bounced a snippet from ableton to the standalone, and I think I can hear a certain midrange scoop in the mpc. Didn’t properly A/B or nothing, just my subjective feeling after hearing the same audio snippet from ableton, followed by hearing it from the mpc. Didn’t warp the audio track so that could not have affected the sound either.

Thinking maybe to experiment with the heat’s peaking filter, slight boost in the mids might restore the sound of the mpc.

The UI is starting to feel better now. Still I wish we could menudive by MENU + pad, perhaps have the 16 pads custom assignable to the most important submemus?

Not used the majority of the fx yet, but I am liking the delays. Reverbs not so much, but even there I can think of many ways of modulating things with some q-link automations (mainly using eqs and filters for shaping the reverbs over a longer timespan)

I have all my samples from my computer already onboard. I must say the sample transfers have been faster than with any other sampler and 100% hassle-free. You know the debate has been going for years whether or not it would be desirable to have loads of storage and RAM in a hardware sampler, well I am coming to the conclusion that it’s awesome! The load times are rediculously fast etc… It feels like using a contemporary piece of gear somehow.

I am quite sure that a renaissance of the hardware sampler is upon us. Other manufs are already designing and building their takes on it I bet.

8 Likes

I’m guessing this should be possible but can’t seem to sus it out - I’m trying to mount the Live so I can drag and drop onto the internal drive. Do you know if this is possible? Doesn’t seem to be but that seems well odd! And I’ve tried RTFM! ha

EDIT - looks like you can’t access the internal drive! My bad. Not a big deal - just means I’ll need to get something to sort that out…

1 Like

I’ve managed to pull the old £799 price from Juno as a long time customer and spent that extra £200 to upgrade Live with a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD.Next week i’ll be giving my reports too…:wink:
I’m an MPC guy now too :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Well I was going to wait. But SWEETWATER here in the US had their demo for 1079 should be here by next week.

I still have a suspicion that all the timing issues with midi on computers will translate into the MPC Live and MPCX ----after all they are just a generic computer with a generic OS so you have a layer of latency–unlike the previous standalone MPCs which had their own OS that ran as fast as machine code.

Please note that you can just plug any USB stick into the back and use that as te drive to transfer to or from.

3 Likes

yep, you cannott access the 16GB internal drive feom the computer.

I have been thinking how to use it, and so far my only idea has been to use the internal 16GB for backing up any upcoming gig sets etc from the 500GB SSD, since you can access voth drives with the unit itself.

Can you at least empty/edit the internal drive when connected to computer?

Edit - saw the above post :slight_smile: what’s the story with the internal? Is it editable standalone? Like can you delete the factory stuff and sample directly to it?

I’ve used an MPC 1000 for years. It’s MIDI output has always been more sloppy than whatever can out of my Mac, especially when it came to MIDI Clock (see http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/comment/129861#Comment_129861).

You can get perfectly fine results on a computer assuming you use decent hardware, good drivers, don’t run all kind of crap on it, and generally know what you’re doing.

On top of that, I’m sure they modified and optimized the kernel and their user land stack. This box isn’t running a regular Ubuntu desktop and won’t start updating itself in the middle of your live set!

Also, you might want to stop using words you don’t understand.

7 Likes

My understanding is that the internal drive it for stand-alone use only, but can be used for anything in that mode.

They probably did this because they wanted to allow you to mount drives directly and allowing access to the primary drive would make it possible for end-users to delete the OS by mistake.

1 Like