MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

OP-1 as 16 hours of battery, it should charge the Live and not the other way around :joy:

4 Likes

No midi CC recording thats a joke right?

Well no recording external MIDI CCs is the correct complaint.

1 Like

Then midi learning of CC values is also not possible ? That is a shame, NI Maschine can also do MIDI scenes. (multiple parameter CC warp.) Maybe thats not so interesting for HipHop, but for Techno /House a pretty nifty feature.

It records midi cc knob changes !

No it records MIDI CCs fine, just a hoax folks

7 Likes

Defect?

Yeah. I saw this yesterday and it bummed me out. Iā€™m hoping defects arenā€™t as common as it appears.

Interesting note that Akai has not given any info to Japanese music stores about availability. Japan has pretty strict quality control standards. I wonder if they are going to wait until the bugs are ironed out before releasing it here.

Just as I suspected. Thank you!

2 Likes

Whelp, my original plan was to get the Live first and then add a Digitakt later, but with the Japan availability dates not even set on the Live and the stories about bugs and defects, I decided to do it the opposite way around. I found a shop that had an opening in their first round of Digitakts so I placed an order. Iā€™ll probably jump on the Live late summer or early fall when all the craziness dies down. Hopefully by then a new OS will be out and there will be enough inventory that even if I have hardware problems it will be easier to swap out a bad unit.

My MPC live just shipped! Iā€™ll get it by wednesday at the latest.

Too bad the shipping notice didnā€™t mention the final priceā€¦ crossing fingers the bill inside will read 994ā‚¬ instead of 1192ā‚¬ (I bought the unit with an installment plan which was made on january 14th, so hoping the price hike did not affect this purchase).

People in Finland can expect their units any time nowā€¦

6 Likes

Can the phono input on the Live be used to plug a mixer into or is it just for a direct turntable given that it has a preamp built in? The amount of inputs on the Live seems a little limited to me if using as a standalone VST (if you use other hardware)

Unfortunately the rca inputs on the live expect phono impedance and a RIAA eq curve is applied. You only have the quarter inch inputs for line level signals. I do believe the rca inputs on the X can be switched between phonopre and line level however.

And do not run line level signals into phono rca inputs either! I did this many years ago for ā€œmojo extremeā€ and ended up breaking one phono input of a dj mixer. Donā€™t do it (although the distortion and RIAA eq sounds ridiculously grimey on a line level signal)

1 Like

Nop thatā€™s not trueā€¦Youā€™ll notice thereā€™s a Phono/Line switch even on Liveā€¦That would be a waste of resources

1 Like

I believe the RCA is Phono only. The switch is there to select from what source you are going to sample. Phono(RCA) or Line inputs(L/R). Itā€™s probably in the manual but Iā€™m too lazy to open the pdf :slight_smile:

1 Like

the switch selects between rca and quarter inch inputs

1 Like

Fail!As i said waste of resourcesā€¦

Yea I think if I was going for one I would save the extra and go for the X, I couldnā€™t really live with one input if I was using it as my main hub.

yea best way to work with that is have an auxiliary send or a spare bus from your desk going to the input. then you can send anything and everything no bother.
thatā€™s if you have a desk of course.

Iā€™d go for the X if it was smaller, for sure. The X has so many tricks up itsā€™ sleeve that will never be available on the live, and Iā€™m guessing Akai want to keep it that way too. I admit I was naive to think that we could modularize everything the X has with the liveā€¦ but it seems like this is not how Akai want to play it.

But the X is just too darn big, the idea of lugging one around is a lmost as ridic as the thought of carrying a 4k with youā€¦