MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

This sounds more like retailers jacking up the prices to capitalize on the short supply.

I donā€™t think so personally. We havenā€™t seen them do likewise when elektrons stuff runs out of stock due to demand for example.

Sounds more like a realisation by Akai that margins in EU/UK markets have shrunk considerably since the announcement. Most likely due to currency fluctuations and other economic knock effects.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, just pre-ordered from GAK too.

1 Like

They donā€™t do Pre orders at Juno AFAIK ā€¦ only stock.

Itā€™s still advertised at 799 pretty much everywhere tho. If I was on the fence Iā€™d buy it where i can at the original price, then if they donā€™t say anything, your golden I think. I canā€™t see how they canā€™t honour it if you pay now.

If it was official word why would they not all show the inflated price everywhere ?? Iā€™d jus ignore it for now and buy at the advertised price of 799 : )

I dunno, it all seems a bit fishy :rowboat:

EDIT - I say all this as someone who pre ordered and isnā€™t giving the rumours too much credit, trying to be hopeful it all goes smoothly for everyone, as thereā€™s nothing worth than a shitty aftertaste when it comes to buying gear. :poop:

oh snap - my local retailer has now also bumped the price to 1192ā‚¬

Letā€™s see if they will honour the preorder priceā€¦

^ Let us know if you can. :+1:

Also Did you pay for it already at the old price Or jus put a deposit down ?

RDM told me something like Akai saying honour original prices to those who preorder. So donā€™t let retailers pull the piss!

2 Likes

Ā£970 UKP at my usual, local-ish retailer.

Edit: Ah - crap, and Ā£1800 for the X! :frowning:

1 Like

With these price hikes some people working in pricing and finance need sacked :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ā£1800 for the X is insane. Almost a grand more than Live just for some extra buttons/connectivity :confused: minus the battery. Daylight robberyā€¦

Tbh they need to get more creative/better quality with the OS or itā€™s not looking so attractive to me right now at the new prices. It needs more flexible Cpu>Quality options. Like top notch fx, some kind of onboard synth and all timestrech options available standalone. Just use what you want until the cpu meter starts to look hairy. Instead of being able to run a million instance of mediocre fx/timestrech etc. Otherwise the ipad equivalent in Beatmaker 3 just comes too close and costs peanutsā€¦

I know you can just use the onboard stuff as placeholder fx etc and switch em out for vst or hardware. But you shouldnā€™t really have to at these new pricesā€¦

If they can make it more badass in the sense it can be super high quality/creative functions for 16 tracks (anything more than that and you start to cripple the Cpu and have to get mediocre with your fx choices etc) then Iā€™ll look at it again.

2 Likes

Dā€¦K move from Akai. Just raised the prices without announcement. :angry:

2 Likes

Think these prices have decided it for me. Iā€™ll stick to Octatrack for now (maybe getting a second unit) and/or Ableton.

ā€¦unless the prices drop in a few monthsā€™ time.

1 Like

Really ? at first sight I was surprise by the price, which I find very lowā€¦ at 1200 euros itā€™s coming far to the OTā€¦ is it worth the price compared an OT or any GEAR at this price point I would say yes regarding the TORAIZ priceā€¦ itā€™s bring a lot more on the table.

Just sayinā€™ I understand itā€™s a shame thereā€™s a hikeā€¦ But ā€¦

4 Likes

Its certainly a reason why I might lean more towards a digitakt instead since its not such a big outlay.

I think most pre-orders are secured with a deposit only. When I pre-ordered in January I asked if I could pay the full amount but GAK said it was bad practice to take the full amount.

1 Like

Hmm maybe they donā€™t trust themselves with the money : )

dv247 guitar guitar and Dj kit . Com where all keen to take the full money tho dv 247 said I could jus leave a deposit, I kind of jus wanted to seal the deal tho. :blush:

Shame this has happened (has it happened?) and put a dampener on peopleā€™s enthusiasm for an amazing piece of gear, over money. / (

I wanted to pay the full amount because I wasnā€™t sure I could trust myself to keep hold of the money. Iā€™ve bought a few pedals inbetween, and just about managed to claw the money back.

1 Like

I just stuck Ā£50 down at DV247 to lock in the priceā€¦have an official quote with Ā£799 on etc guaranteed with the depositā€¦
Good luck to the guys trying to sell it for a grand!

DV247 has a date of 31st mayā€¦fingers crossedā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s not only the price hike but also the revelations like only the weakest timestrech algorithm is available in standalone etc. Thatā€™s possibly a big deal for my needs depending how weak/bad it is.

Iā€™m in no rush really for a new sampler/scratch pad atm so Iā€™ll wait it out and try to visit a store that has one and see how it feels/sounds. Thereā€™s still a lot there to like on the Live Iā€™m just not feeling desparate to grab one atm and can probably get by with a ghetto ipad rig for sofa.

Also my youngest kids lately seem to be getting old enough that theyā€™re beginning to let me have a little more time and not grabbing at stuff as much (last couple of days at leastā€¦). So the sofa jam thingā€™s poss gonna be decreasingly important sooner than I thought - Not sure id use the Live a lot over my other gear/computer (ot/ableton/push etc) on my main setup. Def has appeal/use for shows when I start playing again thoā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m curious, Can you point me to the peeps that have one in use, that (edit- implied) the algorithm is bad?! Not saying your wrong I just missed it.

Lowest quality is just for processing power I guess (same with Any processing on low quality) but itā€™s not necessarily bad to work with at the (edit- production) stageā€¦ If you where totally OTB then heavy warping on a low quality algo wouldnā€™t be ideal, I get that.

To me, Battery power has struck a chord for when there is no power available rather than on the couch, similar to the excitement of when fully portable laptops came out, or cordless phonesā€¦ but solely aimed at music. That and having everything I was doing in the studio including full audio tracks available to take anywhere without fuss or distraction of an e mail. Fully in the zone without unreasonable limits, anywhere. :sunny:

1 Like