MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Footswitch available only on the X, Akai put 2 footswitch slots in there. Maybe some MIDI footswitch can be an alternative.

2 Likes

So Ive had the live for a few days now and know most of it. i can not find any automation lanes on the hardware.I am pretty sure its not their ive spent some hours looking for it.I think they will end up putting it in their in a up date or something but who knows when that will be.

Like you i really want automation lanes so if anyone knows how to edit them on the hardware let us know.

other wise the mpc live is great could use a few more things however.

1 Like

thank you very much @Peoplemuver! this helped me a lot! so it is indeed like someone mentioned it in this thread already. he posted a link to the akai forums and over there people said the same. now you confirmed that it really is the case. thank you for that mate !!!

one last question in this regard: can you overwrite automation of an existing parameter without overwriting automation of other parameters on the same track? as far as i understood it the automation can either be off, can be in read mode or it can be in write mode. lets assume you automated the filter cutoff from a pad. you like the automation so you turn overdub off. now you move on to an effect on this track and automate something else. you also like that but you notice you could change something on the filter cutoff now - so that it fits even better. when you now go to write mode in the automation and change only that filter cutoff - is the automation on the effect (or whatever you might have automated in addition to that), yeah is that automation overwritten too? or does it only overwrite the filter cutoff and leaves the other parameters on the track alone?

if that would work, it would be kind of a workaround i could live with for the moment :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeedā€¦Akai confirmed the 25th for the Live release in Europe in a chat on Facebook with meā€¦

But they also confirmed that the X will be released in July in the EU/Worldā€¦ 0_o
Now i need to wait even longerā€¦blehhhhā€¦

1 Like

Countdowns on. Still buzzing I can afford any of these things at all, let alone that that there actually real products, donybthink ive been this excited for gear in some time, luckily the finer details people are missing where never deal breakers for meā€¦ Pretty mazin it is. :sunny:

2 Likes

Ok, enough jibber jabber. So, you guys who have one, letā€™s get serious.

Does it actually swing like an MPC?

The 60/2500/3000 pretty much defined what swing should be. How does the Live fair?

Oh please. Come the fuck on. Not this again? Thereā€™s absolutely nothing magical about the swing implementation on the MPC whatsoever. But donā€™t take my word for it; let goddman Roger Linn do the talking:

My implementation of swing has always been very simple: I merely delay the second 16th note within each 8th note. In other words, I delay all the even-numbered 16th notes within the beat (2, 4, 6, 8, etc.) In my products I describe the swing amount in terms of the ratio of time duration between the first and second 16th notes within each 8th note. For example, 50% is no swing, meaning that both 16th notes within each 8th note are given equal timing. And 66% means perfect triplet swing, meaning that the first 16th note of each pair gets 2/3 of the time, and the second 16th note gets 1/3, so the second 16th note falls on a perfect 8th note triplet. The fun comes in the in-between settings. For example, a 90 BPM swing groove will feel looser at 62% than at a perfect swing setting of 66%. And for straight 16th-note beats (no swing), a swing setting of 54% will loosen up the feel without it sounding like swing. Between 50% and around 70% are lots of wonderful little settings that, for a particular beat and tempo, can change a rigid beat into something that makes people move. And unlike the MPCs, my new Tempest drum machine makes it very easy to find the right swing setting because you can adjust the swing knob in real time while the beat plays. I first introduced swing ā€“ as well as recording quantization ā€“ in my 1979 drum machine, the LM-1 Drum Computer.

Source: https://www.attackmagazine.com/features/interview/roger-linn-swing-groove-magic-mpc-timing/

5 Likes

Simon just posted this on FB:

Simon Bangs

[Reminder] MPC 2.0 BETA

We really hope you are enjoying the MPC 2.0 beta.
Thank you to everyone who has provided great feedback so far.
Please make sure you are logging everything via the feedback button in the software.

We are working hard on addressing the first things you have pointed out to us and a beta update will be released shortly.
Fear not MPC Studio, Renaissance and Element support is on the way.

Not downloaded the beta yet?
You can do so in your Akai Pro account as an owner of a Touch or Live and soon X.

MPC TOUCH USERS:
Donā€™t miss out on our 2.0 Content Upgrade offer 15+GB of top quality content from the X/Live for just $99.99 check your Akai Pro account for details.

Swings And Roundabouts

I too have never noticed anything special wrt MPC swing vs the swing/shuffle on any other drum machine. Not sure thereā€™s anything special about it. Furthermore I find it a lil funny that this myth still exists yet nobody whoā€™s claiming it exists has ever posted any proper A/B comparison files etc. Besides, MPCs dont even have negative shuffle like elektron boxes (and even newer korg gear) do. OTOH a solid nudge function, like on the new MPCs, is even cooler and makes static swing seem anachronistic wrt ā€œrealisticā€ drum programmingā€¦

3 Likes

Any Live owners noticed any lag/jittery screen action etc yet?

nope. iā€™ve been using mine daily and it seems to good so far. feels like all the other mpcā€™s iā€™ve used. i havenā€™t got into a lot of the clips stuff yet outside of the demos. but i didnā€™t buy it for that.

1 Like

What about latency ? Someone on Gearslutz is claiming there is Ā± 16ms which is more than what i was expecting. (My computerā€™s got lower latency) and there is no latency compensation on the Mpc. Maybe not a big deal ā€¦ but im quite sensitive to latency and jitter when playing.
Ist supposed to be Linux based so maybe its some sort of tweeked Android os.
Does it take long time to boot ?

Thanks for any info.

Good to hear itā€™s running smooth :slight_smile:

I guess Akai should make a channel ā€œUnboxing MPC Live Fansā€ and ask each one to unbox the beastā€¦ (seems like each one who buy this make directly an unboxing video)

2 Likes

Price seems to have gone up by 200ā‚¬ for Live in Europe - damnā€¦

1 Like

Yes itā€™s crazy.

Honestly with all followers, twitter exchange, phone call to akai, to shop they know they can drop the price :wink:

that was someone who was recording the output of the mpc directly back into the inputs to resample it. when playing live or with other gear, i donā€™t hear or feel any latency.

2 Likes
2 Likes

iā€™m pretty sure that is a pube in the second photo on that ask audio review.

2 Likes