MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

It’s encouraging the team is fronting concerns and questions head on, ironic even small boutique companies often can’t manage this. I think they really mean business this time.

Yippee. I’m excited.

2 Likes

I just wish it was May 25th already. The wait is killing me.

2 Likes

Stars Music Paris confirmed… it’s the date the shop will receive… and it’s May the 25 for Europe ( but around the 25 because it’s a day OFF holiday in France )
So Stars Music tell me it’s delivery date to people at their house between 29 (May) and 3 (June)

Now regarding receiving quantities that’s another thing, how many they will receive, how much people have already Pre-Order etc… there :wink: can be bad surprises I imagine

unfortunately, it seems like the MPC Live only recieves Note/Velocity/Aftertouch data via MIDI controllers (at least via usb), I asked a user on youtube and this is what he replied:
“if you mean using knobs and stuff to control functions within the mpc (like controlling the mpc’s filters with knobs from a nanokontrol or something like that) there’s no way to do that. All you can do with a midi controller into the MPC live is send the mpc keyboard type data (note, velocity, after touch)”

:frowning:

still wondering if there will be a workaround… wouldn’t surprise me if Akai came up with some sort of sidecar controller, and/or an iPad app that could control the Q-links via sysex or something… like the way Korg Gadget only works with it’s dedicated bluetooth controllers (the mixer controls, I mean)

Guessing this also means that the MIDI tracks only record this type of data? If so, this is bad news… At least JJOS powered MPCs recorded all MIDI data, including sysex dumps to the sequencer.

So they’re saying I can’t even record ext CC automation from a controller? ie. I have to use the qlinks to do that? weak.

omg…i cant believe, i really hope we can use midi knobs and faders on it

https://www.youtube.com/results?q=mpc+live+midi&sp=EgIIBA%3D%3D
This weeks search for any youtubes about recording midi with the MPC Live…
Not a single one… Not one…
So please enlighten me?
Besides the mentions from above about note and velocity and hey aftertouch… Is that all?
No CC? Not one bit?
I find that hard to believe…

Does anybody know how I would go about sampling in time? i want to sample my own guitar playing into the mpc live, but i’d like it to be in time.

Set threshold recording level (and number of bars if you know that) and just play along in time to the metronome :wink:

You can sample while the sequencer plays back, no biggie. However, a quick glance of the manual doesn’t say if sampling start is tied to engaging seq playback or if manual editing is needed in order to sync up the sample start point after finishing sampling. In any case, using the looper function to sample guitar while the seq plays is garanteed to work (and AFAIK “looper” allows you to record as long as you want?)

1 Like

Maybe you can use the QLinks or touchscreen for that?

Yes, you can use the qlinks for that, but external control seems to be impossible?? Since the qlinks are rotary contrrols, I can imagine several situations where one could prefer a linear knob or a fader instead.

No footswitch inputs and crippled MIDI input capabilities… I am starting to lean towards going with the X instead of the live more and more. At first I thought I could just “modularize” around the live for 4x4 qlinks (midi fighter twister), overdub/punch footpedals and ext soundcards (class compliant USB with mic pres and phantom power) on demand, but it is starting to look like Akai wants you to splurge on the X instead… lame

1 Like

Think about it.
You have 128 filters per drum program. And for example you have that drum program on 3 tracks(384 filters). How do you map that? Do you map it per program or per track…?
How many filters do you have and how do you control them with CCs? I believe one midi channel can have max 127 CCs.
Now imagine how many parameters 64 tracks can have(not just filters: lfo, modulations, envelopes and so on). :slight_smile:

The way it’s done in the old ones is they have option to configure CC to control Qlink, and that qlink you map to what you want to control by external controller. By default it’s not enabled. :wink:

We are talking about midi controller controlling MPC params, not mpc controlling midi params on external midi gear. That works just fine and a lot of people confirmed it.

My guess is it will be something similar in the Live/X.

2 Likes

If CC could be used to control the 16 qlinks of the active track, well that would totally solve all the midi remote ctrl woes immediately, since depending on your program you could use the ext CCs to control anything/everything. While it might be “nice” to be able to control all tracks via MIDI, this would indeed pose a huge logistical problem. But being able to control just the active track could be logistically possible, and would solve 95% of possible use cases IMO.

2 Likes

this exactly. it’s impossible to control every parameter, but it would be fairly logical to be able to control the different Q-link modes, wich are only a handful of parameters.

Are you sure it’s not possible?

I’m not 100% sure - but a Live user told me it’s not possible… we’ll have to wait and see

I was told by Dan Gill himself that it is not possible to control the 16 Qlinks via MIDI. They made it that way so you can buy the MPC products and not some cheap generic controller to use with their software. Though you can control certain things with a 3rd party controller in the MPC software but Qlinks cannot be mapped.

2 Likes

Total bummer there. Do you happen to know if footswitch controls will ever be available on the live?

This is the first time I’m actually not happy that there is a software version for a hardware product, since the hardware is intentionally crippled over concern wrt how their software version is used… Poor business strategy IMO

1 Like

This sux!

2 Likes