MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I jus watched the latest gear4music YouTube demo of the Live again there and man they really crammed in sooo much tech for the money. fair beans :slight_smile:

1 Like

give it a rest lemons, we get it.

3 Likes

My only concerns about Live are AD/DA converters and FX qualityā€¦If theyā€™re good enough then it will surpass an iPad connected to a quality audio interface and will be a no brainerā€¦

Pretty sure most of us already own/use/tried ipads. But carry onā€¦

Also iPad doesnā€™t have that padsā€¦You need to connect it to an external controller for thatā€¦MPC Live has it all on board without connecting extra stuff :wink:

1 Like

Taking an ipad session to Daw to finish/mix has always been massive ballache/vibe killer in my experienceā€¦

Ipad rules as a sound source/instrument but f**k using it for serious arrangement etcā€¦ Linking apps, recalling multiple app presets, not having shared sample folders etc is tedious at best.

Ipad in to the MPC USB hub on sofa should be a waaaay different story tho. One cable and a ton of fast food for the MPC :wink: and no grief of connecting apps internally on ipad etc. Apple suck how closed/awkward they keep everything :confused:

1 Like
1 Like

Saw some pretty informative Touch demos by that guy. This vid feels dull/rushed together tho. So far Akai have been pretty dumb who they threw beta units out to for first vids that have leaked outā€¦ Sloppy promo.

1 Like

Totally agreed!

Didnā€™t like the way XYZ worksā€¦The time he gets his finger off, the tail of the FX gets cutā€¦Hope they release it with some kind of pre/post sequencer optionsā€¦

1 Like

that was painful to watch >__<

I think Akai need to borrow Cenk

5 Likes

Oh man, the little nod at the end.
Too funny :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So many questions. Why is he just unplugging it for no reason? Perhaps poor selection of sounds all around. The snare is so grating.

The artefacting on that pitch shift is pretty evident even on my bad computer monitor speakers.

1 Like

ā€œThe most stagnant beats of all timeā€ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea totally agree. They should only give it to the best in their respective fields.
even Andy ā€œacapellaā€ Mac is sh1te :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have an iPad, I have various audio apps and the iRig pads. Its not as good as my MPC1000 or toraiz in terms of ease of use. Nowhere near in fact.

4 Likes

Not to mention that there is currently zero apps that can replicate the full MPC workflow experience. Unless the latest beatmaker has MIDI tracks?

I actually enjoyed that video primarily because itā€™s probably not far off what Iā€™d manage on the Live - ie. Pretty naff but having fun. I thought it did a decent job at showing how one could prep a track and perform it. Sure it has issues but seemed more genuine for it!

iPad only looks like the thing ā€¦

Try to play the ā€œpadsā€ on the iPad like on an real MPC, or Machine, or Push etc, which have real pads ā€¦ after some hits you will discover that there is a huge difference between a glass-surface and a pad. There was a reason that Akai developed those pads, beeing velocity and pressure sensitive. There were also ā€œthick-padsā€ to support intensive pad-drumming over longer periods.

A MPC is not about a nice big screen with hi-res graphics. The old machines have text display most of the time and can switch to very simple graphics on demand. Itā€™s about the pads, the knobs, and the way of performing and doing things :wink:

4 Likes

You can get pad controllers for ipad too. That said, I do realize that there are benefits to dedicated hardware, but for those times when I need to create music on the go, ipad is very sufficient as a ā€œsketch padā€.

One thing that may be part of the reason I am negative about MPC Live is that I havenā€™t heard any good demos of it so far. Every video I look at Youtube seems to have awful music and the features that they show havenā€™t made me want to get one.

Does anyone have a link to a good demo of MPC Live that really shows its strengths? Preferably one without awful music but rather something like the demos Elektron has done for their units.