MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

2 Likes

So stem export as well as bit depth is selectable for export? Most excellent news! MP3 export to USB stick might also be handy at times.

4 Likes

Okay, but I have a strange recollection of using it with my iPad. Therefore is should be class compliant? The driver/handshake thing mentioned in the documentation only applies to native control surface support as in liveā€¦ But maybe I remember this wrong

I told you @tsutek ! why donā€™t trust the friend with you gonna take a bear soon :joy: (for the export)

1 Like

Iā€™ll send you a sixpack via wolt etc if multitimbral MIDI input is also on board :ecstatic:

2 Likes

Anyone know how well implemented/flexible resampling is in mpc software? Hoping can basically resample anything thatā€™s playing in any of the modes and for specified lengths with Autostart/note-on start etc. Like ot/op1 etcā€¦ Obvs not expecting quite the OT depth here, but enough to not feel like they missed some obvious functionalityā€¦

In a couple of different videos Andy Mac from Akai says tracks can be any length you want - Iā€™m guessing heā€™s talking about sequence length, right? But strange he isnā€™t using the right term.

Any chance he could actually mean you can have independent lengths per track within one sequence?? That would be ace for polyrhythms!!!

Interested to play around with polyrhythm possibilities on this thing too. Seems like its probably possible in a couple of different workflow ways, at least. All the vids so far have shown zero imagination about covering what this box can possibly do in those kind of areas. Which I guess might be cause for concern, but Iā€™m guessing itā€™s just not in the right peopleā€™s hands in the vidsā€¦

Every track can have independent lenght, so polymetry support is there. No idea if there is a way to retrigger all tracks though, other than changing a sequence probably resets all tracks.

I wonder how sequence changing works with polymetry. Does it count the lenght from the longest track lenght or what?

Some qā€™s pasted from mpc forum. Is the full v2 manual online anywhere yet?

Clip Launching:

• Can you have MIDI clips?
  • If not, can you sample directly into clips?
  • Whatā€™s the process of turning a sample into a clip look like?

Chopping / Slicing:

• Can you trigger slices via MIDI?

One would figure that the MIDI implementation is pretty good, I mean, weā€™re talking about an MPC, right?

That being said, any views about how things like

Midi clock in/out
midi program change in/out
CC control

etc would work? Does anyone with the MPC Touch have any insight ā€“ is this something thatā€™s not dropped out of Akaiā€™s sight with the non-standalone nonsense?

Iā€™ve not used ableton ā€˜Linkā€™ before but seems might be pretty useful that the Live can lock to that wirelessly and/or sync with ios apps that use it. Will make integrating ios stuff less cables/tighter etc I guess anyway?

Brilliant - where is the info on this?

sonicstate video IIRC

Every track has a parameter for defining it.s lenght.

Depends on your perspective :slight_smile:

3 Likes

clock in/out, midi CC automation is catered for in all MPC models. I should expect nothing less with 2.0 software either.

Program changes are supported at least on Program level, ie. every MIDI program has parameters for setting bank LSB/MSB as well as the pgm chng number. As for inserting additional pgm chng messages, unknown AFAIK (JJOS had this, not sure about the others).

IIRC there is also a setting for changing MPC sequences via external pgm chng. This has to be enabled for it to work.

Okay, thanks for the info! Basically, Iā€™d like to be able to move to different parts of the song by using an external sequencer and sending program changes. But it sounds like this should be doable.

I think to that but Behringer (deepmind12) and Akai (MPC Live) make strong launch this year because they SOLD a lot before NAMM happened ā€¦ thatā€™s something !

Thereā€™s not a lot of pre-NAMM leaks this year, Roland might surprise us with their rumoured new ACB sampler etc. Will be interesting to see how things unfold!

2 Likes

although I know itā€™s too early to tell, as details come out, this gets me more and more interestedā€¦
Iā€™m an Octatrack user and Iā€™ve never used an MPC, so I started thinking - out of pure speculation of course - what I think might help me improve my productivity/workflow, so maybe some of you had experience with older MPC models, and can comment on itā€¦

• My main interest (and Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not alone in this): sample managment.
    not having to think ahead all that much in terms of creating sample chains, loading samples in flex or static, having limited slots - I think this might be a huge time saverā€¦ I asume (for what Iā€™ve seen so far) MPC Live wonā€™t have this limitation.

• Recording samples: although Iā€™ve got used to it, I still make mistakes often on the OT when recording/resampling, wich can be quite frustratingā€¦ I feel like the MPC might be more intuitive in this respect - I donā€™t know if it would be more/less flexible though, ore similar in terms of possibilities.

• Audio Tracks/One Shot Samples: for what Iā€™ve read, it seems like you can have 8 ā€œloopsā€ playing (audio tracks) while also have lots of one shots sequencedā€¦ now, this is truly amazing, but a few things are still unclear to me: how can you play 8 audiotracks if the pad grid is 4x4? can you move easily between clips and sequenced layers (from the sonicstate video, it seems like itā€™s possible)? can I mute either clips or sequences easily too (thinking about live performance, compared to octatrack: muting, volumes, etcā€¦)?

• Patterns: I donā€™t understand how patterns work in MPCs, so Iā€™m not sure if I can work in a similar fashion as in the OT (hopefully, with even more freedom) - what I mean is, can I move through different patterns? like, sections of a ā€œsongā€, even if itā€™s one-shot sequences?

• Pads: I just love having pads instead of having to tap on the xOx buttons.

• Can I play one-shots samples chromatically? I donā€™t particularly like OTā€™s time-stretching, so I wonder how ā€œgoodā€/different is on MPC Live

USB ports: beeing able to hook any class-compliant controller (ie. nanokontrols, etc.) directly into the MPCā€¦ quite glorious in my book. the 6 outputs are also great.

about FX: although they might not be amazing, OTā€™s fx are not incredible either for meā€¦ I do like the filters to some extent, and a few others - but delays, reverbs, modulation fxsā€¦ they never quite do the job for me. so as long as theyā€™re equal or even a bit better, itā€™s ok for me

I shouldnā€™t have left this for the end but: cross-compatibility (is this the right term?). I have to admit Iā€™m a very impulsive person - I love creating something new, but Iā€™m quite bad at finishing an idea: producing it, letā€™s say - recording parts individually, creating a structure, getting into the details - Iā€™m currently trying to get better at it, as I had like 4 full sets inside the OT that I never recorded/developed properly. no machine is going to do that for me, but if it helps transitioning from hardware to computer, it would surely help a lotā€¦

1 Like