MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Edit - Been reading some pretty bad forum feedback on the current fxā€¦ People saying they suckā€¦ General feeling seems to be ā€˜doesnā€™t matter that theyre so bad cos you can use VSTā€™ā€¦ Which obvs wonā€™t translate so well on standalone :confused:
Hopefully they clicked on this and v2 has vastly improved fx options with the standalones in mindā€¦

Itā€™s too big! :neutral_face:

It looks like each pad / program / keygroup / submix can each have 4 insert FX.

There also appear to be 4 FX send-return busses, with each bus capable of having up to 4 FX.

Lots more FX capability here than I thought. I hope the Live FX capabilities are ā‰„ the Touch.

Oh indeed ! Good one.

Yeah that looks bad :confused: like my daughters Ā£50 tablet when it has a bunch of apps running in background :confused:

Apparently the current fx are best avoided tho :confused: maybe improved on the new OSā€¦

Wonder how many tracks this thing can run with fx options maxed + automation etc before it starts to really buckle and become unusable? Anyone seen any info on whether thereā€™s a hard track limit (outside of the 8 ā€˜audio tracksā€™ limit)?

They canā€™t be THAT bad.
Every tool is a weapon, if you hold it right. And with the ability to chain 4 FX on inserts and send-return busses, thatā€™s opportunity for creating interesting FX as a group.

Itā€™s advertised that way.

From Sweetwater:
Hybrid Standalone Hardware DAW with Software Integration, 7" Multi-touch Screen, 16 Velocity-/Pressure-sensitive Pads, 16GB Storage (expandable), and MPC 2.0 Internal Software

ā€œA compact standalone DAW that lets you untether from your PC or ACā€

4 bad fx on top of each other is just 4 x things I donā€™t want on my sound :wink:

I donā€™t mind bad when itā€™s shitty but has mojo (volca keys delay, OT spring reverb etc). But cheap/corny sounding reverbs, chorus/phase/flange etc are hard to find a use for and can ruin things quickly. Especially if going for vintage kind of vibe.

Each effect has dry/wet capability. This is important.
Be creative. Great music has been made with far worse, I am sure.
No such thing as bad FX. Thatā€™s like a bad hammer or bad screw driver. Choose the right tool and use it according to its capabilities, not its limitations.

4 Likes

Yeah fair point. Think Iā€™m prob being over critical as I was deluding myself Iā€™d find some ā€˜wow these fx are on par with Roland SPā€™ forum posts :wink: Be interested to see someone demo them properly in a vid ASAP hopefullyā€¦

Another reason to get a half priced MPC 2500 with 8 separate outs to connect it to pedal FXs or Thunderbolt soundcard for plug-in effects with no noticeable lag.

1 Like

Iā€™m down for the portability sofa jam aspect of this above everything elseā€¦ 8 send/returns with cables and pedals isnt really what I have in mind :wink:

1 Like

IĀ“m not so sure you will have a comfortable sofa experience with a machine as large as the MPC Live either. OP-1 might be I wiser choice in that case.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been quickly demoing the MPC Touch software, the effects sound like I remember they sounded on the MPC 5K, ok, not outstanding but not too bad. The reverb is not as lush as the A4 reverb, itā€™s got something more rough about it, but I was just fiddlingā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve found Mpc 1000 too heavy. Canā€™t imagine Mpc 2500. Mpc Live is lighter than Mpc 1000.

1 Like

Heavy? Who cares. IĀ“m not caring around my MPC 2500 since itĀ“s connected to my other studio fxĀ“s and DAW. If I want something portable I bring my Novation Circuit.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a good sized American lap, and the MPCLive is about the same width and length as my old 17" MBP. Should be perfect for sofa work.
I only wish it were more knobby, but the USB host functionality will take care of that.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve seen a couple people ask about the ā€œlimitationsā€ of 8 audio tracks, and not sure if anyone has properly answered it.

There are 8 audio tracks, but 127 tracks in all. Without reading a manual yet, it seems that on the MPCX, you could have:

• 8 audio tracks
  • 64 MIDI tracks (more, maybe, since there is USB MIDI, too)
  • 8 cv tracks
  • 47 left over for samples, program changes, whatever

The MPC1000 has polyphony of 32 (I believeā€¦if its stereo samples you get 16), so I canā€™t imagine it is less on the new MPCs.

Also, when comparing it to an Octatrack, consider that sequences on MPCs can be hundreds of measures long, in just about any time signature.

4 Likes

This MPCX has me reconsidering my whole studio set-up. I thought the MPCLive would be an instabuy for but now Iā€™m looking at the X and thinking ā€œshould Iā€?

2 Likes