Mpc 1000

I use a 64Gb card in mine with no trouble, Sandisk I think

hmm - 16GB Kingston Elite pro 133x

Would you mind checking exactly which one you have? I would like to find a larger card that works.

Will do, though itā€™s in storage at the mo, so might take me a while. There is a good series of posts on the subject on MPC forums ā€¦
http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=26775

Yeah, Iā€™ve been all through that. Unfortunately, a lot of those suggestions are old and no longer in production, and recent suggestions are fewer and far between. If you go to the end youā€™ll see my comments on the working but unusable 32GB Sandisk card Iā€™ve got for my MPC.

I got it today. Everything is working fine and Iā€™m just trying to get reacquainted with the workflow. I can already tell the mpc and OT really compliment each other. Iā€™m not gonna ask any mpc related questions simply because I can find that stuff out on other forums. I have noticed one thing though: when the mpc is slaved to OT midi clock, I canā€™t record stuff on the fly into the mpc while everything is running- when itā€™s slaved thereā€™s no count-in of course but I fully expected to be able to do this somehow. If anyone knows how to get this going, please let me know. What I did manage to do was to program some stuff on the mpc while not slaved to midi clock, then slave it and sample some of my sequences into the OT so I could mangle themā€¦lots of fun. However, there has to be a smoother way to combine these machines. If anyone has any workflow/setup tips, please let me know. Thanks for all of your helpful replies so far.

I just got 3 new cf cards and the only one that will work with the mpc is the kingston I was using with my OT. Go figure

I used the MPC slaved to my A4 and it worked perfectly. I remember having to tweak the setup a bit to get the MPC to record when in slave but I donā€™t quite remember exactly what I did. Obviously I had the A4 set to send clock and transport and had the MPC set to slave. If I remember correct I used the Overdub button plus the Play button (not the Play from start button). The MPC would then lock into the sync and play back the recorded pads perfectly on time as I played them.

I use(d) my MPC as master. Not sure which clock is tighter, but seemed to work the way I needed it to.
I had it sending in a chain to MD > MnM > AK. I also had the midi output of the AK > midi in on MPC so I could use it as my master keyboard, and selected which synth it would play by selecting different ā€˜tracksā€™ in the MPC which were set to different midi channels for the elektron gear.
I found it all worked perfectly, though I had to remember to turn off local control on the AK, or it would create a midi loop when the AK channel was selected.
I seem to remember I could also send program changes on different tracks or sequences, so I could use the MPC to control the arrangement.
It was great using the 16 drum pads to program drum parts on the MD.
I havenā€™t tried the MPC and OT together yet.
I hope that helps to some degree.

I used the MPC slaved to my A4 and it worked perfectly. I remember having to tweak the setup a bit to get the MPC to record when in slave but I donā€™t quite remember exactly what I did. Obviously I had the A4 set to send clock and transport and had the MPC set to slave. If I remember correct I used the Overdub button plus the Play button (not the Play from start button). The MPC would then lock into the sync and play back the recorded pads perfectly on time as I played them.[/quote]
This is exactly what I need to figure out. Thereā€™s not anything out there on the internet about it. I watch YouTube videos of people doing this with no problems but they never explain how they got it to work. If you can remember at some point, let me know. Thanks again

Installed jjos2xl tonight and sat down to peruse through the manual. 4 hours later Iā€™m still glued to the manual and my mind is blown. This thing seems so primitive but it is in fact, an incredible machine and a perfect compliment to the OT. If I can nail down my workflow, I donā€™t think Iā€™m ever spending another dime on software. If I absolutely need to do something in a DAW, Iā€™ll just stick to the ones that have free updates (FL Studio, Logic Pro X, etc.) Bye bye Live, Reason, etc! Iā€™m trying to wrap my mind around patterns in jjos2xl. Lots of potential there. Iā€™ve been ignoring the OT all day. Feeling guilty.

1 Like

You talking about recording audio (sampling) or recording mdi events into the sequencer?
You can record stuff into the sequencer in overdub mode (press overdub+play to start and play to stop) even when slaved to another midiclock. Actually my fave way of working with the MPC seq is to use a footswitch configured for ā€œoverdubā€ and just hit the footswitch once to rec and once more to switch back to playback mode, a bit like using a looper pedal.

1 Like

I used the MPC slaved to my A4 and it worked perfectly. I remember having to tweak the setup a bit to get the MPC to record when in slave but I donā€™t quite remember exactly what I did. Obviously I had the A4 set to send clock and transport and had the MPC set to slave. If I remember correct I used the Overdub button plus the Play button (not the Play from start button). The MPC would then lock into the sync and play back the recorded pads perfectly on time as I played them.[/quote]
This is exactly what I need to figure out. Thereā€™s not anything out there on the internet about it. I watch YouTube videos of people doing this with no problems but they never explain how they got it to work. If you can remember at some point, let me know. Thanks again[/quote]
hi joey!
these are my setting. everything works fine. the mpc starts with the octatrack. to start recording drums on the mpc you have to press overdub + play (stop overdubbing my just press overdub).
AND you have allready loaded a programm! the MPC wont start when no program/drumkit is choosen.

oh, i think i have to undust my octa ā€¦

Cool. Thanks for all the help. Everything is working great. I went ahead and got a card reader and that is working out better than trying to transfer samples to mpc over usb. The cool thing is I can use cards interchangeably with OT and MPC. Just put some Dilla style drums on the MPC. Speaking of J Dilla, I just started listening to him and whoa!..the stuff he was doing without all the software/hardware choices we have now just blows my mind. I know Iā€™m late to it but better late than never. Anyway, I have 2 different setup scenarios I am going back and forth with. 1. Ableton Live as master with mpc and OT slaved and going back into Live as audio tracks- this allows me to incorporate Push into my workflow. 2. OT as master syncing mpc, op-1, and kp3ā€¦no computer in sight. Either way, Iā€™m happy.

Be really careful with the CF card if you are swapping back and forthā€¦ I broke my mpc1000 slot by knocking one of the copper pins over.
Not so bad as you can order a new cf reader for some $$ from mpcstuff etc and install.
But if you do the same to your OT youā€™ll have a very high cost of repair as the CF unit is part of the main board and elektron repair costs & shipping are significant.

1 Like

Not swapping really- just thankful I can use the same card if I have to. I usually just use one card per unit. At one point though, every cf card I tried to put in the mpc acted funny. Then I used my OT card and everything worked. So after that, I knew which one to order for my mpc (Kingston 16gig).

Another cool thing I discovered is using Live as a sound module. I use the MPC as master clock and sequence Liveā€™s drum racks and synths with the MPC. In my opinion, this opens up so many possibilities- I can now send whatever I want from Live to the OT for mangling sounds.

Sounds like an idea - any issues with timing/lag?

No but one thing is pissing me off. You know how you can use a midi keyboard to input note on mpc? Well, for some reason, Push wonā€™t do it- even when I have the midi routed through my iconnectaudio4+. Something with Liveā€™s routing wonā€™t let me use Push to enter notes into th MPC. Iā€™m a little frustrated.

Buggerā€¦ sorry i know jack about live or push, so I cant help you with that side of things.

But good to hear it otherwise integrates well with software - thinking I might have to see how well it plays with reason before it gets the heave hoā€¦