Mpc 1000

I used to have one of these and didn’t really use it much but now that I’ve gotten used to the Octatrack, I have an opportunity to get another mpc1000. I already have an OP-1 and an Octatrack. Who thinks adding an mpc1000 would be overkill? I can’t decide. It might just be cool to have a nice iconic vintage sampler for when I want/need that sound. Anyone running one with the Octatrack? If so, are you happy with it? I know it can do some things the OT can’t and vice-versa.

1 Like

I think the OT and the MPC are a great complement to each other, they match each others’ strengths and weaknesses unusually well.

1 Like

what he said!

I started off with an mpc 1000 and used it for years, sold it. Bought an OP-1 and Octatrack, eventually I bought an mpc500. Added an Oplab and I couldn’t be happier. Do it.

Agree with all the comments above. I’ve bought then sold 6 MPCs in my time. My latest MPC1000 (JJOS v2 essential in my view) is not going anywhere now. Love using it with my elektron gear. Not tried with OT yet, but I can see it fitting in nicely.

The MPCs sequencer is a very good complement to the OTs :+1:

1k with JJOSXL gets a thumb up from me

they are an awesome combo. the op-1/mpc/octa is what i use too - diverse, powerful and really fun. (plus with JJOS you can set up patterns to trig ‘slices’ of a buffer)

but… the 1k does not have any kind of ‘vintage’ sound. the converters are not that great.

the main attraction is the pads, for me anyway…

and the original ones on the blue/red units were trash. so make sure it’s a newer model or has the pad upgrade.

Edit: just realised you said you had one previously, so you probably already know about this.

1 Like

Just want to add a fact that has not been mentioned yet …

The MPC provides a “linear” sequencer and all Elektron gear have “step” sequencers.

This makes a difference, if you have movements with more than 16 steps per bar, or notes that are not evenly spaced like having a 1/32 grace note in a series of 1/16 notes, or triplets that would not fit in a 1/16 step pattern. Sometimes micro-timing can be the answer, but sometimes not.

I use a MPC, if my live recording would generate deleted notes on an Elektron sequencer.

BTW the MPC pads are much more fun to play with - compared to the hard surface Elektron buttons :wink:

All good responses. Thanks. Honestly, the OT approach was more intuitive to me than the MPC 1000. I remember sitting in front of my mpc not knowing how to do anything or having a really hard time with it. I’m thinking maybe it would come a little bit easier to me now that I kind of know what I’m doing on the OT. I’m also thinking, if the Elektron way to do things comes easier to me, maybe I should forgo the mpc and just get an Analog Rtym. I’m going to get one or the other at some point. Thanks again for the replies.

1 Like

I have been using Elektron gear for only a couple of years but I wouldnt say it helped get my head around my MPC 2500 any quicker. My problem is that I have Maschine so going backwards in a sense was a stumbling block. Hands up, I haven’t given the MPC anywhere near enough time cut I could def see some excellent possibilities combining the two.

I added a DVD drive to my MPC which made sampling a lot easier (for me) but have decided to part with it as part of an OTB cull.

I also owned a Rytm and sold it. Had I been in a better place I think I wouldve gotten on with it much better. If happier to use pre prepared samples then it might be a better option for you but really depends on what you’re looking to do.

I’m looking to make music through prepared samples combined with improvising on the fly with OP-1, guitars, etc. Not trying to do any vocals- I have a number of DAWs to write full complete songs with. Really just moving away from computer to get more experimental. Grew up playing in bands but have always loved making instrumental beat-oriented sample-based music. Click play and you’ll see what I mean below…
Seems like I’m leaning a little more towards the AR at this point. The more I think about it, I don’t want to get back into acquiring JJOS again and putting 128 of ram and installing hd in mpc.

The combination of sample player and synth voices of the AR can deliver much more punch and versatility than most other boxes. I use the AR for most of my rhythmic stuff. Since I have the AR, the MPC has other duties …

• recording live midi, to get a groove much quicker in the box (by pads or an external keyboard)
  • recording a lot more and longer midi tracks on the fly than the OT allows (also 4 midi outputs available)
  • recording live audio phrases using more RAM and HD-space (with extended MPC RAM)
  • jamming around with the pads (much more sensitivity, better feel, and bigger size compared to the AR) … finger drumming on MPC pads is fun - on AR? - at least not for me …

Sometimes I like to jam directly into the box (MPC), or to program a sequence pattern step by step (Elektron gear). It’s nice to have both options.

BTW - I do not agree that a MPC is hard to learn. It has often been claimed that for most use cases you almost don’t need to read the manual - and my experience is that this is true. IMHO - if anybody operates an Elektron machine fluently, the operation of a MPC should be easy going.

1 Like

My main question is how do you incorporate it into your OT setup? Is it master or slave? etc. Still on the fence but close to pulling the trigger on this…

My (humble) experience is that the timing of the OT is much more tight than the timing of my MPC and this qualifies the OT to be the master.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking. I guess I’m gonna make a decision by tomorrow. The one I’m looking at has the memory maxed at 128 but does not have jjos or a hard drive so I’d be looking at a little bit of work. It is one of the black ones and newer so I think the pads are okay. It just looks so damn good sitting next to an OT and an OP-1…

A note on the hard disk option: I wonder if it’s an essential item these days - better off just getting a big CF card. The HDD I put in mine (a new 100GB Seagate in 2008) definitely sleeps a bit too frequently & there’s a noticeable delay when entering the load or save screens. Other drives maybe better. Not a big deal but can be slightly annoying.

My (humble) experience is that the timing of the OT is much more tight than the timing of my MPC and this qualifies the OT to be the master.[/quote]
May be you have already visited www.mpcstuff.com

If not, the good news is that they sell spare parts for almost all MPCs and there are also some very good video tutorials on You Tube explaining how to repair this and that. I think a video showing how to add a HD is there too.

Absolutely good point. I use a 16Gbyte CF card, but tried a 32 successfully too. I am not sure how much GByte are supported actually, but I think, up to date 64 GByte cards should do - maybe 128 too. There are some discussions about CF-Cards and MPC in the web.

…a mpc was always essential to me…

it’s my my midi harbour to all external hardware…and so much more…
even a little instant harddisc recorder…(with jjos)
it’s the tightest, good old four tracker like and most groovy sequencer i know…

no matter how much fun and beyond stuff i can squeeze out of my ot, the mpc remains the working horse i can trust on, no matter what…no additional hd needed at all…
but jjos is a must…
feels more complicated in first place…but really…anybody who has conquered the ot, does’nt have to worry here…
give it a moment and you’ll never look back…

these two machines can go hand in hand perfectly…
stepsequencers got their point, but the way the mpc sequencing concept works could’nt be more flexible and easier to bring you to musical results and free arrangement options on the fly and at any time of a session…

ot is the playbackmachine, the spice inbetween, the magic on top, the realtime freak around and feel like a guitarhero, my electronic musician fellow, surprise me and go beyond sampling machine like no other…
but using a mpc on full capabilties can even make u forget all daws out there, if we’re not talking 'bout real recording sessions, final mixing and mastering…

especially with jjos, a mpc 2500 or 1000 becomes THE last available real hardware old school sampler of all times…
because jjos frees the mpc from the drum sampler mapping concept only and offers u on top the option to multimap traditionally any sounds over 88 keys and save the results as single programs…same with audio recordings…you can just drop live performances on the fly like on old multitrackers, but with a count in matching perfectly the sequence you’re working on…track mute page and free choice of any seuqence lenghts, chord and arp track settings, note repeat and the magic linn shuffle do the rest…

so see it this way…the mpc is your drummer, bass player…the ot is your solo guitarhero and your front man singing on top of it all…
these two machines together, make a band, really…get it…

2 Likes

Wow reeloy you definitely love it :smiley:

BTW, 2500 or 1k in your opinion ?
From what I’ve read, with jjos the two machines get very close, don’t they ?