Moving on to an Octatrack MKII from a Digitakt

I’ve never made lead/bass sounds as easily as I did with the DT. And with the onboard FX they sounded great. I often feel the temptation to return to the DT some day, much fun.

3 Likes

Yeah DT’s reverb seems better. The delay is probably similar quality wise, but it has pingpong.
I’ll probably get a DT one day, priority to DN /MnM!

General_Lee

6 Likes

i acturally prefer OT’s dark reverb to DT’s now. It suits my music better, tho Dt’s is probs technically better.

4 Likes

Dark Reverb is amazing for certain types of music. Complete agreement!

2 Likes

5 Likes

cold cool

3 Likes

I’ve had both, prefer the DT to the OT. Sure the OT has its features, but OB helps to counteract my human error when performing.

The biggest thing with the OT is a “writers block” of sorts- you start a new project and there are so many options and avenues to take things(selecting your samples- knowing that you’re limited to 4 parts per bank, select your FX, figuring out if you’re going to sacrifice any tracks for extra fx, etc) it’s all a bit daunting.

I never really have writers block with the DT, it’s go great ease of use. The use of Filter/Reverb/Delay/Bit Reduction on each track means I never have to sacrifice anything to shape the sound how I want it(other that sharing the effect through sends). And the kit per pattern means anything can be a burner pattern and I don’t have to mess up the rest of my patterns to bend the current parameters to my liking.

I’ve made some awesome stuff on the OT- mostly not recorded, and it’s a cool machine no doubt. But I wouldn’t get rid of the DT once the OT is thrown into the mix

6 Likes

Funny you say writers blocks. To me things just start happening :joy:

But I can see how that happens. I get that with a DAW, just end up staring at the screen.

Glad you enjoy the DT so much!

2 Likes

Nothing better on a cold winter morning than cuddling up with my Digitakt keeping each other warm with our love

5 Likes

Just sold mine because already have Rytm mk2 and OT and didn’t like how it shares so many buttons, do think it’s an amazing little box but reckon the Rytm is a bigger better version of it with velocity pads.
Think moving from the digitakt to the Rytm is probably more of an upgrade, the Octatrack is a different beast all together really

6 Likes

DT is AR MKI son. AR MKII benefited from some DT improvements. A lot of things in common in the structure, not much with OT.

3 Likes

DT’s tempo per pattern and mute states per pattern is super-handy. I’m also a huge fan of 2x8 grids, I can program at twice the speed. I don’t miss my OT yet lol

2 Likes

Hey, many thanks to all of you for your perspectives on my situation!! I have given this a lot of thought over the year. sezare56- I don’t know all the details on the OT when it comes to the 2 octave limitation, I don’t know what the range is on the OT when it comes to speeding up or slowing down the sample playback, as the DT does that to achieve a “pitch” change and since it’s just playing the sample back slower or faster it also effects timing as it will take longer to play the sample at the lower pitch so it has it’s limitations but it is nice to have more range up front.

DanJamesAUS Yeah, so far as features I’m more interested in the OT as I don’t really care for pads, I’m fine with the idea of adjusting the velocity afterward like I’m sculpting it rather than just on the spot, but I do wish the trig buttons were a little bit bigger for using 2 fingers to get a fast roll going.

selfup I’ve watched that video 2 other times, but thanks for the thought. That’s kind of where I see myself leaning. Having both and “When they’re combined they become, MACHINEDRUM MKIII UW!!” And yes, I do enjoy my Digitakt very much.
As my name suggests I am an analogue fanboy and if I can manage to sell 2 of my synths for the money, in the end if I don’t like the OT enough I can always sell it to buy a nice analog poly, maybe an OB6. So I think it could workout for the best either way.

2 Likes

For what types of music would you say the dark reverb is better suited? I have a DT and I’m waiting for the end of NAMM to order an OT, and I’d like to understand better the difference between the dark reverb and the DT reverb (which I love).

Right off the bat I’d say Industrial/Metallic/Cold sounds but it also works really well with huge stereo pads. It has quite a few ways it can be utilized so while it’s not easily versatile it can be.

Also keep in mind that on the OT you can’t have delay and reverb at the same time, unless I am missing something fundamental haha. EDIT: turns out I am…there are many ways to achieve this.

Nothing a timed resample can’t fix but still an extra step. Seems I’ve been resampling instead of asking how haha oops!

Yes, missing there is a hack to have both on the same track : Reverb on FX1 slot hack
And anyway you can add Neighbor tracks and Master track.
With some trickery you can use 16 serial fx, including 4 delays and 4 reverbs if you want.
DT simply can’t.

1 Like

Yeah, otherwise you can have different types of reverb and delay on the ot.

1 Like

Welp I just totally forgot about master/neighbor tracks when I wrote that post but this is great! I updated my post :upside_down_face:

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: OT has also the possibility to set 100% wet reverb (and all other fx).

1 Like

it would be nice if Elektron creates a sampler with pads slicer (MPC Style) it would be nice being able to chop samples and assign them to velocity sensitive pads. Like a blend of OT and Rytm …as MPC seems to be the only sampler that can chop and pad assign, a competition would be good.

2 Likes