Moving Kits - Project Management

I was wrong. It is problematic to move kits between projects.

At first I thought it was the samples that made it complicated and although that might be true there’s more to moving “a kit” then just the kit, sample references and the patterns used. You also got the chains, songs, global settings, scene and performance settings to take into consideration. (The two last ones might be included in a sysex kit dump actually but yeah, you get my point.)

In fact, it would have been faster/better if I made two copies of my “source” project and then removed kits,patterns and samples in each copy that didn’t belong. (Doh!)

My reason for moving kits to other projects today was because I had this silly idea that my DAW project and AR project should correlate in name. Things would like be “cleaner” and more tidy that way… Well who am I kidding?!

Going forward I’m just gonna have a lot of different stuff in each project and name my kits to correspond to my DAW projects if I need to.

i really hope that overbridge allows some sort of management here.

from the statement of features for overbridge:
Total Recall

Management of analog sounds and sequences has never been easier. Any adjustments made either directly on the Elektron hardware or via the software plug-in can be automatically recalled when loading a DAW project. Overbridge offers ultimate convenience when handling Elektron machine data.

So I can save all via Ableton.

thats precisely what i want. PRECISELY.

This would be great BUT… this also needs to work without a computer too. There are many people who don’t want / don’t have a computer / DAW to rely on.

Project / Kit & Sample management is simply awful on the RYTM. Did Electron think we wouldn’t want to share kits across projects? Madness.

What is the procedure to move (for example)
Sample 1 of 909 Project (909 sample pack installed exactly as given in instructions)
to the Sample 1 slot of another project?
How can I do this? Please give me a detailed step by step, I’m sure it’s easy but I can’t quite figure it out.

I totally agree with you. Its becoming a deal breaker with this machine. I can load a kit into a new project but thats with no samples . No kit library and no samples at all show up in a new project (not even factory) for me.

totally agree
it would be soo powerful to be able to just have access to any full kit from any project

I understand the model. Loading the sounds/samples into RAM ensures steady streaming playback, but the lack of portability between projects is a struggle. The tediousness of having to remember/note-down which sample is where is frustrating is a killer to creativity.

Maybe an OS update would enable saving a kit to the +Drive, and on load if it needs samples it loads them into the current RAM pool?

Currently, and without using Overbridge (I’m on Cubase) the best workflow to move kits between projects is this:

[ol]
[li]Find the Kit you like[/li]
[li]Create new SOUNDS from each Track and save to +Drive[/li]
[li]Go to the Kit menu and COPY Kit[/li]
[li]Load your new project[/li]
[li]Paste the Kit to a slot of your choice[/li]
[li]Load the SOUNDS to the Pads - make sure to load the correct sound the the correct pad as it was in the other kit.[/li]
[/ol]

This will work.
Another possible issue is if the original kit had special settings in the trigger menu…you have to duplicate those manually.

hmm, isn’t the data on the trigger menu part of the pattern data (ie. pattern-specific)? That’s why it doesn’t get saved with the kit.

The hassle of cloning sample-based kits is why I am sticking with as little projects as necessary. But if total recall allows us to store a “snapshot” of the entire AR memory, switch to a diff. project and to dump that snapshot to the diff project, it will help quite a bit.

another workaround might be to make a “template” project and to save that to every empty project slot as a starting point, with all your fave goto samps & kits already stored. Personally, I am filling up the project spaces so slowly that I have no need for such a template ATM.

1 Like

Same here.
Looking forward to kit/file management implementation in overbridge so that you can simply just drag/drop kits to new projects without issue.

Same here.
Looking forward to kit/file management implementation in overbridge so that you can simply just drag/drop kits to new projects without issue.[/quote]
Yes! This is why i keep saying i want a stand alone application. designing, and saving kits!

Same here.
Looking forward to kit/file management implementation in overbridge so that you can simply just drag/drop kits to new projects without issue.[/quote]
Yes! This is why i keep saying i want a stand alone application. designing, and saving kits! [/quote]
I’m getting a new computer tomorrow, so I’ll finally be able to run OverBridge…been using a hackintosh since 2011 that’s been running 10.6.8. I’ve been too afraid to update in case everything stopped working.

Excited to check it out finally.

Same here.
+1

i dont have a rytm. but i thinking about to get one …

but … do i understand right, that there is no “global” space for kits so i can select them from every project i like?

like i can do with the mpc 1000

?

correct, you need to save your sounds in order to have access to them in other projects.

Hi! Im having a little frustration over something i though would be rather simple. Im trying to save a kit from a project and then load it in another in my rytm mk2. When i saved the kit in the one project i see it popping up in the saved kits, but when i load another project and try to open the kit its simply not there. When i go back to the other project the kit is not saved there either… Am i missing something obvious?

A Kit is saved within a project.
You can save Sounds, they are available from each projects.
You can also export the sysex of your Kit, iirc, and import it to another project.
Or save your initial project as new andkeep all the Kits you’ve done already…

1 Like

2 follow up questions:

1. When you save a sound with samples involved do those samples get saved into the sound? When you reload that saved sound in a new project with the sample come with it?

2. When you do the sysex move does it bring the other info saved within the kit like scenes and macros?

thanks so much!