Moving from Maschine to Octatrack

:open_mouth:

Maschine+ live sets is something I’m interested in, but haven’t investigated or researched at all yet. My simple mind hasn’t figured out how that would all work… again, haven’t thought about it much, or done any research as not planning to buy one anytime soon.

1 Like

OK,
I’ve done a ton of research now, read the manual and watched some videos.

My final question is: Do I just pickup a second hand OT MKI to get started with it? I feel like I can turn it around pretty easily if it doesn’t work out for me.
Or, just bite the bullet on an OT MKII? I’m sure I’ll need it for more than a month, so most return policies aren’t gonna help me. I’ll end up losing a couple bills if it doesn’t gel.

On the other hand, if I love it, like everyone here, will I miss not having the MKII? Is the difference huge, or not so much. I’ve read the internals are basically the same.
I do like the MKII look better, tbh.

FYI, can be a bit of a hump to get working, depending on your OS?

I have a MkI I happily use on OSX 10.13 High Sierra and Windows 10

You should be able to pick one up for pocket money though, so worth trying out.

Sorry, we’re talking about Octatrack MKi or MKii

2 Likes

You’re talking about an Octatrack, I’m talking about a Maschine, so, ummm… :stuck_out_tongue:

[Octatrack] I’m a MkI boy. No great desire to update to a MkII. Most of the workflow benefits would be lost on me for some reason, and I vastly prefer the MkI’s form factor.

2 Likes

Cool, I already have Maschine MKIII, so I definitely don’t need another one of those

how old skool. I’ve got an MTXR38g. so sick.

Cool man

Do you recommend an Octatrack MKi and save some cash, or the MKii ??

Me personally? Mk1 all day everyday.
I dont like the grey, the square buttons or small screen on the MK2. Sure there’s a black MK2 now, but I dont see any reason to justify the extra expense. A Mk1 will do exactly the same thing, the guts are identical.

Both are great. Werd on the street is the outs on the new one are better?

But it’s the same box. Just boils down to bucks, availability, and what flavour you like more.

:slight_smile:

I never saw enough benefit to justify the extra money for upgrading my mk1.
Few extra buttons, sure. You have to remember so many button combos, hitting the shift button 5 more times won’t make the big difference :stuck_out_tongue:

Some people seem to swear on the better audio inputs though

I say MK2, nothing wrong with MK1 either though, in fact there are some things I still prefer on MK1, but the extra buttons on MK2 are nice, also consider that a MK1 is potentially 10 years old if you get an early one. Also the earlier MK1 had the better (IMHO) textured paint, the later ones have the flat matte paint which isn’t as nice and can get marked easier.

x8 note polyphony can be achieved with a Retrokits RK002 cable with Polymux enabled, works well on my DT

:rofl:

1 Like

How would that work with the Octatrack?

Are effect types P-Lockable?
Not parameters, but types, like P-Lock a delay on one step and a reverb one another?

No.
Fx are per part.

I don’t want to be THAT person, but, you will be missing a lot if you compare them. The OT just like the Akai MPC1000 does nothing unless you add things, right? Like most samplers, give me a sample and I work. And maschine has PLUGINS!!
Now, if you use a lot of the slicing and recording functions on the Maschine, you won’t miss a lot! They are not similar, but the OT is a good audio editor, you just have to get used to the idea that FLEX MACHINES are the ones to do that.

Other than that, the OT can do synthesis if you put your head around it with Karplus Strong or One Single Cycle techniques among others.
That means that you can use it as a drum machine if you know how to program or soudn design drums with Filters and FX’s.

So, like a lot of people have said what you might be missing I can tell you, I have maschine and the Lock function is kinda the Scenes function in the OT . Parts are a little more deep.

Now

Elekktrik said a lot of good things, but since I would tell you, they are different instruments, you know? You don’t approach a cello like you approach the contrabass. I do all types of music in both machines and I work differently with them.

Big regards !

1 Like

Thanks,
I don’t really plan on getting rid of Maschine.

Maybe I’ll rephrase my question again:

What would I gain by having both? I’m trying to do more OTB, even if it’s not 100% OTB, that’s originally what I was getting at, comparing them.

Your Maschine will feel lonely. Using the the OT to sample the Maschine will make your Octatrack very happy. You will gain nothing. It’s about the machines in the end. You might not even like the OT, at which point you will sell it to another person, who will not understand it, and sell it without learning anything about it. At some point, I will be in the market for a second OT, and I will buy it.

1 Like