Moving from Maschine to Octatrack

I’ve really been fascinated by all the threads and praise about the Octatrack lately.
I’m a big fan of the Elektron workflow and getting out of the box. I have A4MKii, DT and DN.

I normally use Maschine for samples, parts and jumping around patterns to “build” tracks/songs. If I wanted to move completely out of the box and use the Octatrack for these duties, can anyone comment on this who has experience with both?

I like that the Elektron boxes are more like “instruments” whereas Maschine is more like a DAW the way I use it. I might like to build everything OTB and then just record straight into Pro Tools, which is actually the DAW I use.

So, whats up? What would I be missing from Maschine and what would be better with the Octatrack?

If I might ask a more specific question:
With the limitation of 8 tracks on the Octatrack, can you load other samples and parts into other patterns/banks/scenes/whatever to bring more content in? Or sound lock?

I’m really just trying to find a comparison for the scenes in Maschine that makes sense to me with the Octatrack. It seems like everyone uses it differently.

Octatrack has eight monophonic tracks, so will choke the sound when a new sound is played.

You can use [ Sample Locks ] per step (Can even use Slices on those, so can get 16,384 Samples in a Project if you want…)

Have you thought about Maschine+ ?

3 Likes

Yes this. And if you use samplechains, you get 128 sample locks with 64 samples with each samplechain.

I haven’t used the scenes in Maschine. They actually didn’t make much sense to me. I think they would be something like the arranger, which is amazing on the OT. Parts in the OT are like presets of the 8 tracks. Don’t think they relate with the Maschine. i would say Maschine is more linear thinking. OT is it’s own strange path, that could take you to a completely different workflow than the one I use.
Ooops… Sorry, I had to edit this. Mixed scenes with parts…Yeah, well scenes really have nothing in common with parts. Reaktor has something like scenes, where you can morph between all parameters between two presets. Hope I didn’t confuse too much.

I have thought about Maschine+, but I really like these Elektron boxes, and for similar money I can get the Octatrack. If it does a similar job and inspires the same kind of creativity and “happy accidents” as the other Elektron gear, I’d like to try it.

What you’d miss?

• Straight forward sampling process
  • autochop
  • groups
  • scenes
  • send FX (yes, these are possible in Maschine)
  • polyphonic instruments
  • velocity
  • aftertouch
  • proper screens
  • complex audio routing
  • a lot of plugins, even built in FX
  • auto copy pattern when making a new one
  • square format (pads and maschine itsself)

What you would gain:

• completely different approach
  • deep dive into sound and everything because everything is so frickin different and ideosynchratic
  • better knowing your sample material because there is a lot af manual work to do
  • better hearig because the screen does not tell so much
  • better creative thinking because FX and routing are very limited
  • recording on more than 2 tracks at once
  • three different recording modes
  • less gain (audio in)
  • scenes (other meaning) with crossfading in between
  • respect
  • awe
  • beauty
  • resale value
  • knowledge of many new curse words
  • many new friends by using elektronauts
  • easy polyrhythm and polymeter

I really like the OT MkII for techno.

7 Likes

Yep. Me too.

1 Like

I have both and I decided keep both. Maschine is much powerful as a groovebox.
My DAW is Cubase. I use it for compose non-electronic music, sound design and mixing.
Maschine is a great creative tool. Ideas view is great for sketching. And it feels dawless as I don’t need my PC’s screen at all.
Octatrack is the best sampler and looper I’ve ever used. Its role in my setup is sample mangler and guitar looper. I can sample everything from maschine or cubase, modify it and record back. Sometimes I use it as a midi sequencer with crazy randomization power and CC-locks.

You can get the best of the all worlds. Why do you need to chose one? :slightly_smiling_face:

I agree with diswest. I’m fairly new to the Octatrack and thought that it was going to replace my need to use a DAW. In fact it’s actually made me appreciate my DAW (Reason) even more as something to feed the Octatrack through sampling and mangling, and then drop back into the DAW to make progress on tracks. Its definitely more of an instrument than it is a full production center like a Maschine or MPC, although it can fill those tasks with a bit of work.

1 Like

I wouldn’t get rid of Maschine, resale for the hardware is shit anyway.
I’m just thinking of having a hardware setup, sans computer for writing, generating ideas/sounds, maybe putting tracks or loops together. Try to get more out of my hardware.

I come up with different stuff when I don’t have a DAW or computer screen in front of me.

I suppose what I’m getting here is that Octatrack is more like an “instrument” that uses samples as it’s palette? Not so much a sequencer or arranger like Maschine, even though it does have those capabilities?

If that’s the case, I might be more interested now. I like new instruments.

1 Like

Hell yeah it is a sequencer and arranger…It just does it it’s own way. The way i see it as an instrument is that you slowly learn it your way and you find the things you like…It also takes practice, like a traditional instrument…But, really the sequencer and arranger are amazing.

1 Like

This here. It has multiple uses, and many shades in between those uses for those that give a fuck. It’s never gonna be my DAW, but it’s going to give me options no one plans for. All I gotta do is press record, and start dropping science.

The Octatrack is not just an instrument it’s a lifestyle. You have to commit yourself 100 percent to it or you’ll never connect with it. It’s not for casuals. If you do go down this road just know it’s not an easy ride and you may want to take an exit. If you stick with it you will be rewarded, your third eye will be opened and you will become a member of the Order of the Octatrack! :elot:

10 Likes

Oh my. The Order huh? Wow. Eyes wide shut? Did they kill the designer of the OT just before it was finished?

I have both, it is an amazing combination
Maschine is amazing for sketching, making loops, sampling and timestretching
Then bring the loops (and oneshots) to the ot and go next level

1 Like

Ha, truth!

1 Like

No but the Octatrack has killed many sound systems around the world. :joy:

4 Likes

This is what interests me.
I suppose the title of this thread is a bit misleading. I don’t really intend to get rid of Maschine, it’s very handy.
What I am interested in is the Elektron workflow and whether having the OT would just kind of double up on Maschine’s capabilities, or add something different new OTB.

I suppose I have FOMO reading through all these OT threads. I’m not necessarily unhappy with Maschine, but I wonder about the way this forum talks about OT. Like, is it THAT cool?
I don’t remember talking about a piece of gear I’ve ever owned the way you guys talk about the OT.

The reason I’m bringing up Maschine at all, besides liking the idea of not being tethered to a computer, is that I don’t want to make an investment on something that would essentially double up on what I already have.

1 Like

No, it is way cooler, if you connect with it.

It is in some ways the most pared down modern sampler, it does not do much for you, but it allows you to do much with it. For some people that is a bridge too far, it can be idiosyncratic and somewhat obtuse, but it can also do things nothing else can do, it is like a playground for audio, but this playground needs to be conceptualised by the user, and it can be different instruments for different people and on different sessions, you kind of have to make it your own, and that is part of its enduring appeal.

It definitely isn’t the ultimate at anything, other samplers have more elaborate and impressive fx, more polyphony, more voices, better chopping, better playback options, better timestretch, better handling and so on, but the way it can be customised and utilised are more than the sum of its parts.

IMHO.

10 Likes