Movie recommendations

I saw ‘The Zone of Interest’ yesterday, and today I found out that it got two Oscars. I haven’t seen such a good movie in a long time. I love it when a movie stops simply being entertainment, but gives you a lot to think about. And this movie is like a punch in the gut, today I can’t stop thinking about it. This is the kind of movie that changes you internally. I didn’t expect it to make such an impression on me. Yesterday’s Oscars were most deserved. This movie is perfect, the cinematography, the script, the acting. But I’m also not surprised that it also got an Oscar for sound, because it’s a mastery of what was done in this movie.

I highly recommend it to anyone who likes uneasy movies.

8 Likes

Saul Bass short from 84. I saw it the first time with a very high fever.

I’ve been watching Reacher:

It gets good scores. Even at Rotten Tomatoes.

I don’t get it. It is avarage at best, but stupid.

Then I wattched a movie. A movie I’ve seen many times before. And it made me remember how I am supposed to be entertained by moving pictures. I had to, in order to fix my self up again:

Slow West:

It gets a lower score that Reacher. But I’m telling you. You are in for so much more of a treat!

Sorrry, I just had to get that off my chest!

Ps. And the music…

2 Likes

i fully agree with your statement…

There are of course oddities within the universe and movie, but i rather chose to suspend disbelief then to latch onto to those minor nitpicks.

These Epics are a genre of their own and what i think Dune has done a lot better then any previous epic is that there is actually good acting. Sure there were lots of capable actors in Lord of the Rings, but i dont think Peter Jacksson has the chops to actually draw out good performances like Denis Vileneuve can.

The ending scenes between Paul and Chani are truly believable. Austin Butlers choice to have the same accent as Stellan Skarsgård (which was apparently Austin´s own artistic interpretation of the role) really cemented the fact that Harkkonens is a different alien race then say Atreides or Fremen. and its small things like that that really kept me in the movie.

Its not the best movie I’ve ever seen, but its definitely the best blockbuster I’ve ever seen.

3 Likes

yeah exactly, I mean there are really few that scale movies that let me dive in, usually that scale makes me yawn and go “yeah right…” but not this one, I don’t try to compare it with the same intimacy or perfection as with Coen Brothers movie but for a huge budget scifi movie - never experienced anything like that…

2 Likes

A bit of under the radar masterpiece by Peter Brooks who did the 60s version of lord of the flies. I love this movie.

1 Like

Should I watch F/X (1986) or Total Recall (1990)

I can’t decide :thinking:

3 Likes

A forgotten gem!

3 Likes

Total Recall

2 Likes

I saw it yesterday, and I agree, it was very good. There was an extreme feeling of unease through the whole movie, and that’s exactly the point of course, it completely crawls under your skin. It’s not a horror movie but it felt like a psychological horror movie to me during some scenes, the contrast between the sounds coming from the concentration camp and the shots of the paradise like garden especially added to that feeling. The ending of the movie was also quite genius.

1 Like

F/X for sure!
love me some Brian Dennehy :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

And what about Bryan Brown :eyes:

he’s great but not in my top 50 hunks of all time :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Yeah, exactly. It’s as if there are two stories going on in the movie - the one you’re watching and the other told through sound. And I agree that the ending is masterful.

I’m surprised deathgasm doesn’t get more love, too weird? Doesn’t fit into one genre? Kiwi accents? The metal band has a keyboard player?

3 Likes

a doc and a couple of films I’m looking forward to

3 Likes

I just watched it. Very good movie, but not an easy watch. And the sound is incredible. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a movie where sound plays such an important role.

2 Likes

Finally got around to watching “Poor Things” with my partner, and I was completely blown away! If you’re a Lanthimos fan already (and my partner and I both certainly are), then this is probably his opus (although we both haven’t seen “Dogtooth”, and I haven’t seen “The Favourite” myself). A profoundly inspiring piece of art through-and-through. The score alone is so captivating and just weird in a way I haven’t heard before. I loved it!!

5 Likes

You should definitely watch The Favourite! It’s amazing :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Primer. Love that mind bender. Remember seeing it in high school.

1 Like