Move Up to AR MKII from Digitakt?

Song mode is something I rarely use, but it is nice. I assume it would essentially replace the pattern chaining for you, but would be something you could save. I tend to build single patterns with tons of tasteful step probability and different track lengths. When switching between different song sections, I like to use Direct Jump mode so that I can instantly go to the pattern I want.

I thought I was moving from DT to rytm, but I kept both.
I like making beats on the rytm a lot.
The velocity sensitive pads and the distortion/compressor allow me to make really organic, dynamic and meaty/crunchy beats that I couldnā€™t do with the DT.
I like mixing and jamming a lot more on the DT tho. More streamlined, less volume options easier saving structure.
The DT is more portable too.

They are both great :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Keep the 2 - you need more than each can offer alone.

2 Likes

Obviously there is a lot more you can do with AR if you want.

Practically though, you can operate it almost exactly like the DT, then dig into the deeper stuff as/when you need.

The layout feels a bit different (selecting patterns/banks or FX etc) and you do have to pay attention to gain staging and saving kits, but functionally itā€™s all directly transferable

So I pulled the trigger and got myself one. Going to keep the DT for a while to see if I really need so many Elektron boxes with Models and OT in tow! Although the MPC with the recent firmware update is awesome, I find it so mechanical. I love it too, but it doesnā€™t spark creativity as much as the Elektrons IMHO.

5 Likes

When you open yourself up to the combined world of Elektron and Akai devices, rather than comparing them, the world seems a whole lot rosier. :sunglasses:

Congrats on the ARmk2 too! :partying_face:

1 Like

It really isnā€™t a comparison. Iā€™ll keep the MPC - it is an awesome device and 2.10 really swats the competition away. They both do have their own strengths but for an organic and visceral composition tool, the Elektrons are definitely better at it. A pain to learn, but I can understand better now how rewarding it is.

Anyone new to the Elektron world, I highly recommend their Models series to start with. It isnā€™t just a ā€œcheapā€ version but rather a trojan horse to their world. It helped me understand their workflow and thinking. On its own it is still very powerful, and lessens your frustrations learning the Elektron way.

I know ARmk2 is a 4-year old product but Elektron is also one of those classic synth makers and I like that. They continue to support their machines through software upgrades and even their legacy machines are highly sought after. Canā€™t wait to get to know my ARmk2, and a huge thank you to all for participating in this discourse on the merits of owning one (or not).

1 Like

The AR is great fun. You can keep tweaking and tweaking and end up with a sound thatā€™s outside of your imagination. Recently, Iā€™ve been hitting the random button and tweaking the result into something musical. The possibilities feel endless.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a random mode? How is that done? :smiley:

Here you go:

3 Likes

Hold down any parameter page and press [YES].

Youā€™ll want to randomise the machines, thatā€™s a given. But then randomise the filter, amp, FX and so forth. The results will always be unexpected and sometimes inspiring. Youā€™ll never run out of ideas.