Move Up to AR MKII from Digitakt?

I sold my DT (migraine city) and got the ARMkii. Never regretted it for one second. If you need midi sequencing from the DT though, that is the big loss. I love the ARMkii for all the reasons @CCMP has outlined in his post. It just sounds great.

1 Like

Iā€™ve upgraded half a year ago, I used the DT as a standalone all in one device, and now I use the AR that way.

Though some things are faster or more intuitive on the DT, the AR feels like an overall more complete machine. The pads are great, as are the extra features, but the main thing for me is the sound: this thing sounds amazing on samples.

1 Like

Yeah I can see how one could use the AR as source instead. Haha! Maybe I should just go back to my Force and use the DT and Models as source instead. .

The Rytm is just great - the more you can figure out how to shape the sounds that you like, the more blatant the machine becomes. Iā€™m also very sure that the analog sound sounds better or different, somehow more reserved, warm and classy. Although I also like the digital drums from the Digitone, for example ā€¦ Itā€™s just great to discover the essence of the machines and to bring their character to bear, as was the case with the TR - 909, 808 etc. back then. I donā€™t think these classic machines should be imitated, but you can drive your own sound here, which is absolutely cool. So if I had to decide between Rytm and Digitakt, then definitely Rytm, because, as I said, you can design yourself here, which is also possible with Digitakt, but with already finished samples. It takes a while to get good results, but then things get wild ā€¦ But the Digitakt is also very nice ā€¦ all of these Elektron machines are just amazing and Iā€™m glad you are here with theirs occasional updates.

I had a DT, then went with a Rytm MK1. Now Iā€™m back with a DT and I wouldnā€™t swap it for a Rytm, not even a MK2. Itā€™s so fluid and fun to make music on, plus itā€™s portable (with USB power even more so). That said, I would get a Rytm again because theyā€™re awesome.

5 Likes

I switched from digi to rytm and while the individual outs, synth engines and overall sound are a huge plus, I miss how quick the digitakt is - setting up a kit seems to take so long on the RYTM, I feel like even scrolling through the sound pool is slower somehow.

3 Likes

The Digitakt only seems faster because there are less options.
If you specifically set up the AR to work like the DT, so only had samples for each voice, it would be the same reallyā€¦ personally, I really like having all the extra AR options and I feel like I fly around it.

I would say, overall, I prefer the DTā€™s sound/file handling more than the ā€˜Kitā€™ approach of the ARā€¦ Iā€™d happily take the DTā€™s implementation on the AR if possible.

You mean you have to construct a kit first for all 12 pads before you can use it? You canā€™t just load or create a bunch of sounds, keep that in the pool or choose from the +drive as you go along and load up the pads?

I wonā€™t go into full details here as it has a lot of coverage already here- but you have a sound pool across your project (128 samples) but then you have Kits (also 128 per project). Kits are made up of your 12 individual sounds (any combo of synths/samples per voice)ā€¦ but your kit can be used across different patterns, which has some positives (keeps your kit constant across a song, for example), but itā€™s easy to use a kit on more than one pattern and lose track, and make changes that unintentionally affect your other patterns/songs.

On a positive note, when you get into the workflow itā€™s easy to find a kit you like and copy/save as it as a new kit.

I do this on both the AR2 and A4 now, I have favourite kits that I use as a starter, then save them if I like how itā€™s going.

1 Like

I watched Cuckooā€™s video explaining how the AR kit works as opposed to DT. In some way I prefer ARā€™s method, but yeah, have to be mindful and probably log it somewhere which kit is used with what songs/patterns.

AR2 is really nice. Deep and capable. Any analog sound you want is in there and just needs to be discovered. I started with the MK1 and am now on the MK2. MK2 is where itā€™s at for build quality and enhanced usability.

Nowā€¦ as much as I love the AR2, I still have this soft spot of curiosity for the Model:Cycles. Something about its immediacy and simplicity seems like a lot of fun. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll end up with one, but it would never replace the AR2. Just a light weight, low key version of Elektron magic.

If I were you, Iā€™d keep the MC, ditch the DT and MS and pick up the AR2. :grinning:

1 Like

Try connecting the DT midi lfos to control Rytm performance macros :wink:

2 Likes

I recently got a Rytm MK2 in a trade and been finding it hard to take the time to learn how to use it and I keep thinking about moving back down to a Digitakt. Mostly because Iā€™m lazy and already know how to navigate the DT, but I also miss the compact size.

Question to those who have an AR, does the samples also get choked on the corresponding tracks or if you donā€™t use the synths itā€™s still an 8 track sampler?

There are 12 tracks but only 8 voices. 4 of the tracks can be choked by itā€™s neighbour

Thanks! Iā€™d be nice if the choked tracks worked without being choked if you donā€™t use the analog synths, even if they use the same circuit.

I love my DT much more than my Rytm
because the rytm is brain-heavy
making music and thinking / menu-diving kills my flow
many options creates a lot of thinking, I don;t know where to go with my music anyway, so why to think? I think enough during my day, in the evening I prefer not to think anyway especially not when making music.
So the DT is my ultimate sketch pad, little fun groovebox.
I would love to see more A4 style sound in a digibox
because also my A4 is way too much brain-heavy.
weā€™ll see :slight_smile:

When reading all reactions on this, many people prefer Rytm over DT, because of options, deepness, etc. For me this is definitely NOT the case!

6 Likes

Looking at the videos it looks like AR is much easier to use. It has more complexity due to synth/sampler functionality but is it much harder to use than DT? Also I like the whole performance part of it which DTā€™s control all is better perhaps.

Do you use the AR Song mode at all? I find with DT with the 64 steps it can be limiting plus all the pattern chaining which canā€™t be saved annoying.

I completely agree. Itā€™s really not the upgrade that youā€™d expect. More of a lateral move honestly.

Their sounds are different enough that half of the time I prefer the digitaktā€™s granular crunchiness to the color of the rytm. The send effects on the digitakt are also much much better.

But most of all, imho, the digitakt is the superior sampler/groovebox. The extra parameters and the resolution of those parameters make a dramatic difference in workflow.

The Rytm is an aggressive machine with lots of opportunities for distortion and waveshaping throughout itā€™s signal path due to how much analog gainstaging is going on, which makes it harder to work subtly.

Itā€™s Compressor has fixed attack and release times, no visual feedback, less ratios, no sweepable sidechain filter, and no option for the individual tracks as a sidechain source.

This all ends up having a big effect on how much control you have at the end of the signal path. You can of course work around that with slide trigs and the FX track, but itā€™s a pain.

A lot of the issues with the comparison of the two really just come down to the quirky behavior of the Analog circuitry on the Rytm, which despite what anyone tells you, can be as much a pain in the a** as it is a treat!

6 Likes