MOTU Ultralite MK5

I know nothing about CueMix or Motu interfaces but that IP address being displayed is not valid and will never connect to a network.

1 Like

Edited for clarity. This is on the iOS/iPadOS app on an iPhone/iPad, not on a Windows/Mac computer.

The app waits for the Gen5 device to be connected via USB. There is also a button labeled IP Connect. Press it and a text field appears where an IP address can be entered. I believe all that’s required is a USB connection to the Gen5 hardware, and IP Connect is a second option to connect, or possibly for future AVB hardware.

Edit: The reviewer doesn’t connect the UltraLite MK5 to an iPad or iPhone in the video. :frowning_face: Just a MacBook.

I do not have a Motu, just offering insight on why there may be network issues. The IP address displayed is a privately assigned IP address and would not work on a network. You generally see this when a device does not receive an IP and self assigns it self one. I could be wrong though.

That being said, this looks amazing.

Yes and no. Usually a restart fixes that

It wouldn’t matter if the address was correct. It’s the fact it’s asking for an address at all.
If something were to be locally controlled software via USB, why would it need an address at all?
We are speculating if the device has local control or is just a remote app (again).

@Kegeratorz @phaelam

Why don’t we all just chill with a beverage and wait until we get further details from actual experiences? :beers:

4 Likes

In the iPhone screenshots below, nothing is connected.

I’ll drink to that!

3 Likes

Obviously. :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m super chill, all good here! I thought I was helping but I clearly convoluted the topic.

Sorry, but I’ll still take that beverage!

1 Like

Physician, tap thyself.

1 Like

2 Likes

hmmmm…sorry man didn’t know it was pad. I haven’t used cue mix for a while. I use Discovery. computer only over here…no devices.

The Motu Ultralite MK5 looks good.
Essentially it offers the same as the RME Fireface UC, with only the USB C vs USB 2 being the difference, and of course the drivers. And here is my question, why would one choose Motu’s drivers over RME’s when price and I/O offering is pretty much the same?

1 Like

The MOTU Ultralite Mk5 is $595, as posted above, while the RME Fireface UC is $1399.
Definitely not the same price.

1 Like

You might have a point when outside of the EU, but here inside of the EU (I’m in Denmark) the prices are quite similar. If I recall correctly Motu is a US-based company and RME is based in Germany. That might explain how we get to quite different results :slight_smile:

Prices taken from Thomann:

Motu Ultralite Mk5: 748 Euro’s
RME Fireface UC: 845 Euro’s

So I’ll rephrase my question, if you are an EU-resident, would you prefer Motu’s drivers above RME’s?

2 Likes

Chill? Just tryin to help :neutral_face:

2 Likes

I see now. Good point about the price difference. I didn’t realize those two brands were priced that differently between the US and EU.

Unfortunately for conversation sake, I have not used RME, so I cannot compare the two directly.
My only experience with MOTU was with the 828es running on a Mac. The drivers were rock solid, and it sounded excellent.

1 Like

It was a gentle, chuckling “chill” - not meant as an aggressive CAM THE FCUK DOWN! Lol.

My kids bicker so much I just have that on my mind. It was meant with :blush:

2 Likes

Exactly this.
FF UCX is absolutely fantastic, but not USB-C. And maybe more expensive ?
Also, the 10 outs are on the back on the Motu whereas 9/10 is shared with headphones on the RME. And proper MIDI din instead of the crappy adaptor of the uCX