MOTU Micro Express question

a couple questions re: micro express, for anyone who has/had one and can help clarify…

• I looked at the diagram for data transfer. once you’ve setup midi filtering options with the app. are those filters now in the box and applied end to end. or does the data have to pass thru the computer

• when you setup filter options, can those be stored in the micro express, or as presets within the app to be loaded. or are they only temporary and have to be set each time you turn on the unit

im trying to find a way to take the computer out of the path on my midi data. im just using an ultralite right now, but having to go thru my computer to apply filters.

thanks

Looking at the manual, while there are both factory presets as well as user presets, unfortunately the device itself depends on being connected to a computer. From page 31:

Cable routing to and from the computer
In MOTU USB MIDI interfaces, all MIDI inputs and
outputs are always connected to the computer.

Right but that is for routing. Wondering once it set, if the data passes thru the computer or point to point thru the box.

It doesn’t specify. I’ve sent questions to MOTU. But it usually takes them about a month to respond.

The manual leaves a lot to be desired. And yes, by the way it’s written it’s for routing. But it’s also a poorly written admission that it needs a computer to work.

I think for what you want to do, something like an iConnectivity mioXM which can operate standalone and as a MIDI host would do the trick.

Mio XM looks cool.

Can’t see if they enabled midi 2.0. Completely forgot about 2.0. Looking forward to trying its jitter reduction.

Thanks for pointing out Mio
I have strong loyalty to MOTU. Been using them since 2000 I think. Makes it tuff, for me at least, to look elsewhere

You may already find out for yourself, but:

Once you’ve set up your midi filters, they are stored in the (user) preset you are currently working on, as long as you don’t change preset. If I recall correctly (I had one) you need a computer to store your user preset(s). You can also save more than 6 (which are the user slots in the unit) in the computer for later use/recall.

I had it for a long time, I’m also loyal to Motu, but I didn’t like the software, and it is also a little buggy (I’m on Mac Osx). I replaced it with a Blokas Midihub. Does what the Micro express does and more, in a more compact form, and for a smaller price, although it only has 4 ins / 4 outs (plus usb midi). Check it out, it’s worth it.

2 Likes

The mioXM does what it does and does it very well – and at a reasonable price – but makes no claim to MIDI 2.0

Things of course will change, but that stuff is still on the bleeding edge for most manufacturers.

It might be time to toughen up and let go of the past. Buy Canadian. Buy iConnectivity. :wink:

1 Like

Yup. The Blokas Midihub is also very good.

1 Like

Thanks guys :+1:t6:

I don’t even think it available anymore anyways. Can’t find it anywhere.

Perhaps something more up to date is in the pipe :crossed_fingers:t6:

I don’t have money at the moment, I’m just window shopping. But when I do, I want to update my midi box.

Midihub – MIDI Interface & Stand-Alone MIDI Processor :upside_down_face:

1 Like

:thinking::neutral_face::kissing::+1:t6: