Most essential basics for stereo master mixing/EQing/fixing (/DIYmastering)

For quick and simple final mixing (and DIY mastering) of final stereo recordings of a track, in Ableton Live Lite, which stock/free plugins, or which techniques in general, would you use/advise? (I currently don’t have a situation where I can multitrack record)

This is for me as someone who doesn’t like this part of music, but who would like to easily make their amateur track sound a líttle bit better and be done with it as quick as possible.

Example: My biggest find until now, which already helps a lot, is the Ableton stock master glue compressor. I pick the preset that sounds best (often one that drops the bass and brings back some mid/highs), and fine-tune to taste. Often within 5 minutes my track sound a bit better. I use it more for its easy EQs then for its compression for now.

Any other tips / techniques / plugins that are easy enough and that you find worthwhile elemental stuff? Ideally free / stock.

In my case for techno. But please all feel free to share - not just to help me but for other people starting out with recording their stereo mixes?

2 Likes

I don’t have ableton, but would ask if your tracks needs fixing or just polishing/loudness?

Working on just the summed stereo track limits quite a bit. Most stuff should be fixed before that. Does it have to be on the sum?

Yeah that’s sort of what I’m working with. I understand that it’s not ideal.

I would say it’s more about fixing that about loudness. But a bit of compression might be nice often?

I just really really dislike all work in DAWs. I’ve found that just recording stereo jams, it’s quicker to (re)arrange the sections into a shorter song - not having to deal with all multitrack recordings eliminates all the optional paralyses.

But the result is that if a hihat is a bit soft, or the kick a bit too loud, I need to fix it in the stereo master…

Not a plugin, but when you are ready to learn why you mix sounds like it does, and not like you would want it to, read this book. It changed my perception on mixing.

3 Likes

Perfect - yeah it’s not about plugins perse for me. Just helpful shortcuts for someone who’s trying to cut corners ;)) (aka keep the mixing&rearranging in a DAW part not longer then essentially needed)

I find some resonance peak cleanup goes a long way.
With all the delay feedbacks and squeaky filters and whatnot, these resonances build up pretty quickly. One or two sharp notches can make things much cleaner and fresher (?). Also can open up a lot of headroom.

Some parallel compression is always nice too, I usually do a very basic two band compression. Tweak it untill it sounds good.

Sometimes I run everything through a distortion and mix that back with 10% or something.

But honestly, I‘m just messing about, no idea if what I‘m doing is the „correct“ thing 🤷

2 Likes

Keep anything below about 500 Hz mono.

Low cut on reverbs/delays, nothing below 200 Hz, just creates mud.

There’s a lot more out there for dealing with dynamics than just compressors. The right amount of parallel saturation running through an eq/enhancer can really make a mix sparkle.

Protect your transients.

2 Likes

Parallel means just a dash of the fx mixed on top of the original, as opposed to full mix fx, correct?

1 Like

Which way haha? As in do not compress them away (protect them), or the opposite: watch out for too much transients?

Yeah, so you’re summing the dry and effected signal, this helps with being able to heavily compress or saturate signals without losing transients.

Yeah, as in don’t compress them away, but also make sure you’re not clipping them in ways that you don’t want to and making sure that the mix is put together with enough space that transients aren’t stepping on each other or being muffled out by other sounds.

1 Like

The Ableton stock plugins do a fine job for most of what you want. My typical ableton plugin chain would be:

• EQ8 for cutting off extensive lows and highs
  • Utility for making the bass signal mono and adjusting the stereo image when needed
  • Compressor The regular one with sidechaining filter of the lows so the compression is gently and easy to setup. Use the dry/wet control for “parallel compression”
  • Multiband Dynamics for compressing the low end mostly (and sometimes a bit of the mids or highs)
  • Saturator with just a real small wet percentage for the more aggresive tracks or for the effect
  • EQ8 for some final minor tonal tweaks or overall tonal balance.

Then I mostly use a third party limiter (Fabfilter L2, Ozone, BX Masterdesk) as I find the limiter of Ableton Live not always suitable but it can sound good on some music so worth to try.

4 Likes

@rtme’s probably got a better list. My “quick and dirty” master bus has:

EQ8 - usually not used - lets me tweak an overall mix. I aim to only use +/- 1db in any band, except maybe sometimes doing a HPF to lower the sub-subs

Dynamic Tube - in place of a parallel saturator. Just my taste, and TBH I’d probably get more out of a Saturator. I find the tube often needs a Utility before it go bring the gain up so the Tube can do its work. But this reduces the overall headroom for the downstream tools so I don’t do it often.

Glue Compressor - adjust to taste, a + d mostly v.short, ratio low->mid, threshold varies… I aim for 5-10 dbs of compression usually

Limiter - ceiling about -0.5 db. You can bring that closer to 0 if you like. Enough gain that when the reduction kicks in, it’s not reducing much more than 2-3 db.

I don’t use multi-band compression because my ear’s not subtle enough and I don’t know what I’m doing. I wish I did.

Also… try and fix those sharp hihats and boomy kicks before you get to “mastering”.

2 Likes

It’s not free but if you want something where all the technical stuff is hidden away so you can adjust a few things using your ears, I highly recommend process.audio’s Sugar:

It’s got linear-phase hi- and lo-pass filters, three types of saturation, and some multiband voodoo like enhancement. I love it. A compressor before it and a limiter after it and I’m done.

2 Likes

Don’t overlook the idea of a reference track that you can base your final mix off of. Get a good spectrum analyzer and loudness meter like Voxengo’s SPAN and Youlean loudness meter (the free versions of both are more than enough for a release on something like Bandcamp or Beatport) and measure your tracks against ones you’ve heard in clubs or on good systems that have stood out as particularly well mixed. Often I find that tracks that sound right but are just lacking the club-ready polish have too little/too much dynamic range, or there is a whole mess going on in the bottom end that isn’t audible to me but is still info for a compressor/limiter/saturator/etc to react to. There really isn’t a worry that you will be stealing someone’s sound this way, as there are pretty clear boundaries as to what translates well to speakers that can be gathered from pretty much any music vaguely in the same genre as the type you are making!

In terms of usable techniques some cookie-cutter things that most people do include using the internal sidechain on buss compressors to not react to the low fundamental of kicks (Ableton 11’s init Compressor preset has this enabled by default hidden behind the little arrow next to the on/off button) and cutting out the lows of sounds that really don’t need them like hihats and even cutting out everything below the fundamental for stuff like toms. Little bumps around 5k on snares and claps can help bring the snap out a little, while cuts in the 120-550hz ranges can cut a little of boomy sound they carry, scooped mids on kicks with bumps around the click can let a kick cut through without having to also bring up the body of the kick, and carving space between hihats and rides can make the peak part of a techno track not clangorous (usually the cymbal sitting a little below the hats in the frequency domain). The nice thing about techno tracks is usually most of this can be done in the 2channel domain, since there is usually little channel complexity in dancefloor tracks.

If the presets that sound the best to you are the ones that drop the bass a bit and bring up the mids, maybe one of the issues is that your kicks and bass are too loud initially, so any corrective measures after will have to be tailored around those instruments, leaving less space for the lead or other percussion to be treated in a 2channel environment. I know I often track kicks in hot, especially if its from an already heavy jam session when the clubs are closed. Just be hyper conscious of levels pre recording. If you don’t want the computer to get too in the way, just have a fullscreen spectrum analyzer opened and periodically glance at it to see if your kicks are way too hot. Will cut loads of time off the corrective staging of producing if the ingredients are all proportioned before baking!

Honestly Ableton’s stock stuff has come a long way, and is a perfectly viable, and probably much faster, way to turn a raw jam into a club, car, or casual listening ready track compared to plugins and hardware.

2 Likes

Okay so I’ve just had a short session, and I think I can get used to these basics most of you are mentioning.

I didn’t know that Utilities is where you can just set your lows to mono! I never really understood how people did that. Even though I didn’t have much stereo in the low end, I do hear a difference.

Compressor of Ableton actually has kinda nice visual feedback. You really have to follow your ears with compression don’t you, at some point you find a groove in how the compressor kicks in. And then I dial it back to very subtle.

Limiter I’m gonna have to research a bit how to utilize this as opposed / next to compressors.

I still have to get into the EQs of Live.

Anyways, thanks a lot everyone, as I said, I think I can see myself getting used to some kind of basic bag of tricks with these things, and it becoming fast enough. Cheers!

3 Likes

Yeah this was my thinking, my tracks aren’t that densely arranged/populated anyways.

And this is exactly perfectly fine for me indeed!

Thanks for all the great explanations

1 Like

I’d suggest:

• EQ; hi-pass the super low end so it’s not tricking yr dynamics processers with inaudible frequencies
  • a gentle compressor (low ratio, only shaving the tops
    (-saturation at this point in the chain if you want it, because saturation/distortion compresses too;)
    -followed by a more aggressive compressor with make-up gain to get the level of loudness vs dynamic contrast that you want;
    -then final limiter with threshold close to 0, which should only be occasionally triggered by the loudest output from the preceding chain.
2 Likes

Like 40 and below?

Generally with limiters, especially transparent ones like the stock Ableton one, the less it is hitting the better the mix will sound. Think of these kind of limiters are more of a groove that your track will sit in rather than a place for color or compression; it sound be guiding your track towards being as loud as you want it to be without going too out of control.

High lookahead values and fairly high releases will get you in the right direction for this kind of thing. You want the little bar to be barely moving at loud sections, and staying still on off sections. If you want a more colored version, and have Suite, the max for live device “Color Limiter” is the go to for “stock” effects. For these, you want to hit them a little harder, as they will carry a little saturation when “clipped” at the expense of them not being as surgically precise. It really comes down to personal preference and sonic characteristics that you are going for if you want a more colorful sound or a more controlled sound.

Really just comes down to experimentation, its not like you are going to break anything if you just randomly move knobs until something sounds ok (as long as your speakers are not too loud!!)

2 Likes

Yeah; depending on whether you actually have deep subs in yr mix or not, of course. If you don’t have deliberate musical content in the mix below say 60hz, you might be surprised how sharply you can high-pass it without any audible difference. Will depend on the track though - and on dynamics. If you record a grand piano for a naturalistic classical recording, say, you’ll want to keep those rumbles; but you’ll have to sacrifice loudness, because compressors will react to the rumble and make the whole signal lumpy.

Same goes for low-passing. Put some 60s-70s tracks through an EQ and see how little content they have over 9k while still sounding jive.

Finally: I’m gonna offer a counter-opinion to most here by suggesting you don’t always have to make bass mono. Yes, if your target market is definitely clubs; yes, if it’s being pressed to vinyl; otherwise it’s a creative choice. It’s unlikely you’ve hard-panned your kick or bass anyway, right?

1 Like