Most addictive synths

Hydrasynth and Waldorf Iridium

3 Likes

MOXF, such a powerful combination of arpeggiator and synth engine plus great FX.

Digitone or A4. Miss a knob/function synth sometimes though.

Sold it years ago but Nord rack 2 was very addictive

I had a 4 hour session on mine last night and it felt like only 30 minutes went by.

I am now convinced that it is a time machine.

Could do an entire ambient album with just it and Valhalla FX.

6 Likes

Another vote for Evolver here. I miss mine very dearly.

Will probably be getting a Monologue at some point in the near future and I expect to be hopelessly hooked on that one too.

1 Like

Great to see so much Evolver love here. Used to love setting a sequence running and then seeing how wild I could get it to sound while still being melodic.

Besides the modular, where generative patches can send me willingly down the rabbit hole of sound design, I can lose hours playing with my Nord Lead A1 - layering locked arpeggios and then playing melodic/harmonic accompaniment.

4 Likes

One of the best synth UIā€™s out there, i think, considering the limited knobs. Best buttons and pots ever. Worth the tuning hassles!

1 Like

Analog Keys for me. Just a joy to compose on.

1 Like

AS-1 for all the different journeys it can take you, built-in ā€œkeyboardā€ with arp, plus couch-friendly form factor.
Second would be the A4, for the same reasons.

2 Likes

Current addictive synth: not much. Sugar Bytes Factory, Model:Cyclesā€¦are fun.
Past: DX200, Fizmo, XTk. Knobs help. Eurorack was physically addictive for me. :drunk:

2 Likes

For me, itā€™s a tie between Iris 2 and Serum. Between the two I think I can make any sound (un)imaginableā€¦

Iā€™m really in love with the Model: Cycles right now, but Iā€™m also in the honeymoon period for sure. I found myself sitting in front of that thing for much longer than intended on many nights.

I do always have either the PO-20 Arcade and/or Monotron Delay in my car for lunch breaks. Get a quick synth fix on free time.

3 Likes

I always have the best of intentions for recording and arranging the OB-6, but I feel like every time I sit down, I just get lost in playing the thing. Hours go by, and I get nothing done, and I kinda donā€™t care. Itā€™s truly mesmerizing, like opium for the ears.

8 Likes

I smoked a Moog once, and then came back down with the help of a Prophet. Iā€™ve been chasing the analog dragon ever since.

6 Likes

Waldorf Quantum, gives me insight and inspires, but also if I have a concept that I can develop it in a targeted manner.

1 Like

I actually had a pretty good time with the Korg MS2000. Kinda wish I had kept it.

Perhaps itā€™s just the memory of better days.
But it was a fun little board.

1. Analog Rytm

has been a constant addiction for me. I just keep finding better ways to use it. Iā€™m sort of a drum machine nut, and this one is definitely helps me get my fix. Iā€™m always pulling it out even when I donā€™t have time for music (which is often lately)
Lately Iā€™m mixing drum tops and bodies that I pre-prepared with the Analog engines. Also having fun making crazy stuff with the impulse, filters, and excessive plocking.

1. Shruthi XT (4pm filter)

Iā€™ve had it running through my OTO BIM almost constantly. This little guy just rips and tears! Oscillator mixing algorithms with massive selection of Oscillators leads to endless tones. Modulate the parameters of osc1+2 and I can tweak for hours and days and weeks until my family forgets who I am when I walk into the room.

1. Ambika with my custom SMR4 filters.

I havenā€™t had enough time with this one yet but I can feel the same addictive qualities growing. Poly with slow sweeping filters just has me finding sweet spots that I get totally lost in. Iā€™m always making tiny tweaks and new things pop out in the sound playing off the combinations of notes. Time stops while the world keeps moving (signs of addictive qualities).

1. U-he Repro 1 & 5

I picked these up recently to stave off gas for a prophet. Itā€™s working so far. I had a very late session and didnā€™t get much sleep. Addictive and may start to interfere with my responsibilities.

5 Likes

Works for me too!
Loving the Pro 2 had me quickly looking at other synths with the same filter.
Iā€™ve mapped my Pro 2 knobs to send MIDI to Repro-5.
For all intents and purposes, it does what I need. U-he really nailed that filter emulation, and 8 voices is great.

It gets truly addictive once you start piling on M4L LFOs.

3 Likes

That sounds like a very good idea! Iā€™m already thinking of ways to dedicate some controls. Right now itā€™s just the MIDI fighter click and turn, which is working for me.

Edit: I have a Virus Ti! Thanks for the idea Adam!

1 Like

they sound so great but for me they only enhance the wish for a hardware prophet :upside_down_face:

1 Like