More tracks for Digitone

Hello all, hopefully the higher ups/engineers at elektron will see this.

I am requesting that another page be included in the tracks section so that there would be 8 tracks in all. Is this something that could be done with an update or is it even physically possible? It would make this beast of a synth even more powerful and pretty much unmatched by anything else on the market if it could be done, not that it isn’t amazing already.

I absolutely love my digitone keys, it’s the first thing I have bought that could make me forget about guitar lol i hope to have this future classic forever

2 Likes

Welcome to elektronauts!

man, have I got a thread that you’re going to love!

also, here’s another must have link lol

9 Likes

Thank you for the reply although I am still learning about the other products and only have the digitone so it was somewhat over my head. I aim to get the digitack so that I can just use it for my drum tracks and have all four free tracks on the digitone for other sounds. I still think the digitone would excel with another page of tracks. The possibilities would be endless

Welcome to our happy little gang, @Digimon.

On top of what @shigginpit has provided, if you don’t find what you’re looking for (either in feature or work-around form), I heartily recommend emailing your suggestion to: feature-request@elektron.se

I’m of the understanding that Elektron staff check that email queue more frequently than they comb through the forum.

3 Likes

I will do that now! Thank you!

2 Likes

Unfortunately the only way you’re going to get 4 more tracks is by buying another digitone

9 Likes

Dang, what makes you say that? I just feel like it would be unwise to have two. Although it would be cool since one would be the keys and one would just be the box

1 Like

That would be my dream setup if I had the room!

2 Likes

The DSP cost to double the track count, all with their own settings and plocks, would be huge. Not to mention the physical UI of the box is not set up for it.

2 Likes

You actually have 4 other tracks, with each 8-voice polyphony. But they are only midi tracks, so you’d need another synth to control (maybe a Micromonsta 2?)

1 Like

I recommend it :joy:
Really love the Digitone and I frequently hit voice bottlenecks, so it was a no-brainer to get the desktop with the Digitone Keys. The desktop is also easier to travel around with.

1 Like

…warm welome…and noooo chance…

it’s maxing out already two dsp’s and what u see is what u get…
so that simple advice, if u want a double amount, take two, is pretty much the only way to get there…

and ur thought is heading to a good direction…look out for 2nd hand keys version and u’ll end up with a killer setup…it’s doubling ur track count but at the same time it’s expanding ur overall sonic options beyond all limits…

5 Likes

I work with 2 Digitone and an AH+FX. It’s a great setup, very powerful and easy to use.
The advantage of having 2 DN instead of one Syntakt for example is that you have two separate groups of control all. I found it very useful.
Also, DN is (for the moment) very cheap on the second hand market. I got both for 450€ each (I’m living in France). So, a 2 DNs setup can be relatively “cheap”. It also allows a lot of cool things with midi between the 2 (adding a third lfo per voice, setting the midi lfo to the modulation parameters, etc…).

4 Likes

I was shopping today for some pedals for my TQ5 and I thought I only really want the chorus and delay from the Digitone. Then I remembered.
Now I have four more tracks of FM. 16 voices in total!

2 Likes

I’m trying to find the appropriate phrasing for a joke relating the tq5 an answer fax, but I can’t seem to find the right tone for it so it looks like you win this round, yamaha.

congratulations on your fm choral group, looks super fun.

2 Likes

I can also recommend the FB-01. It matches the Digitone in many ways. It’s the exact same width, has 8 voices, can be set up as either polyphonic or 8-part mono multitimbral, has stereo outs that fit the Aux ins of the DN very nicely, and you can hard pan voices L or R for the dual mono inut configuration of the DN. It has tons of sound that range from cheesy to highly useable. And it’s possible to find them quite cheap.

2 Likes

Just saw this, the cost is nearly the same as the box but aims to double the value.

1 Like

after looking at this topic i had a thought

split each tracks multimap into two regions, one for internal, other for midi track.
midi loopback - and you can sequence 8 mostly separate tracks.

downside is that the patch assigned for multimap will be static, and if you want to change octaves you gotta do it from the setup menu (for both sounds)

from benefits, you can target midi parameters such as velocity, modwheel ect, with midi LFO, thus having x4 amount of coupled routings.

other than that, only voice menu is internal only, so if you want to use them as 8 mono tracks playing at the same time, there will be voice stealing if you dont program sequences such to avoid that.

standalone digitone is unhinged, though i never use these loopback and multimap tricks because its flow is not from the fastest ones to begin with. Love using DN on its own, wonder if all that midi grunt can be redirected for internal use someday (akin to what ST has, if you dont need midi - use all the power available inbox)

1 Like

Selecting and muting tracks is already Digitone’s achilles heel. If you add another layer to the track buttons, you would have a total nightmare.

Maybe rather look for a second DN used, as others have suggested. I tried it myself and it didn’t really work out and was too confusing.

3 Likes

OP-1 F has 4 tracks and can sync with the Digitone. Plus its adds a keyboard, some weird sequencers, and extra FX.